discoDSP Synths

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Annual subscription fee + Full price plugins + no access to existing purchase downloads after a year + baffling support comments here == no thanks from me.
Feel free to call me Brian.

discoDSP wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:32 pm
future-bit wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:26 pm I bought an upgrade on August 3, 2018. I have installers 6.8, but I cannot download 6.8.1. I need to pay a subscription.
6.8.1 was released on August 20. Cloud was introduced a few weeks ago... Is this defamation campaign going to last forever here?
This may surprise you, but most people don't keep checking websites to find updates - they tend to come across them when they encounter a problem or just happen to see some news well after it actually came out. This is what you seem to missing by retroactively introducing this "subscription" for updates that would otherwise have been free for those users.

discoDSP wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:39 pm
mladi wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:35 pm It is criminal behaviour in Europe to advert something that you not deliver after you got the money for it. So i ask you a last time: Where is my free update (that you still advert as "free for DiscoveryPro 6.5 and above users") to version 6.8? A sentence every potential buyer can still see in your promotions btw.
Send your details to contactus@discodsp.com to sort it out thanks.
Why i should ? The problem isn't related to one user alone as the same is true for every customer you have. It's simply you didn't take enough care in the past to inform your customers about the fundamental changes in your business model.

You should fix it asap for EVERY of YOUR customers not only the hardcore-faction here. Make a month period that they can download everything they have sitting in their accounts, inform proper about the changes of your business (by email and not via social media).

This are all pretty standard things if you ask me.
Intel® Core™ i9-9900K•Cubase 11•Presonus Eris E8 XT•Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 & Octopre•NI Kontrol S61 MK2•Stein­berg CC121•Synthesizers: Arturia Casio Korg Roland Yamaha

This is such a shame.

I have forever been a fan of OB-xD. It is a free synth with paid quality. The filter is phenomenal, it has a wonderful meatiness to it. Makes me happy just thinking about it hahaha. Great job on that!
But developer attitude and policy matters. I've been in touch and had contact with the owners of many small companies for various reasons. Every interaction, even if I had a problem, has lead to an increase in my confidence with said company. "They make make a mistake, but they'll fix it." You need to understand just how huge this is.

My point is, you may be in the right 'legally'. But there's a large difference between what's legal and what normal human beings perceive as right and wrong. You are completely entitled to hide behind legalities - that's your prerogative. However, in terms of growing a business, I recommend you try and see the bigger picture.

The fact remains that I will buy Xfer, Cockos, U-he, AudioAssault or ToneBoosters products at full price with 100% confidence. I will get my money's worth. Actually, in my experience, probably more than my money's worth. But discoDSP hiding behind legalese claims of 'defamation' without clearing the crux of the matter does not inspire my confidence.

No one here wants to see you go down or go out of business. Your current customers just want a bit of honesty regarding your business practices, and spectators want some kind of transparency.

There's really no need to throw around legalese, because that makes you look guilty.

discoDSP wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:46 pm Ok guys I need to rest. Keep your defamation and lack of empathy going.
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

Karmoon wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:04 pm This is such a shame.

I have forever been a fan of OB-xD. It is a free synth with paid quality. The filter is phenomenal, it has a wonderful meatiness to it. Makes me happy just thinking about it hahaha. Great job on that!
yeah, he didnt code that, 2dat did.

standing on the shoulder of giants and all that...

I got all the discoDSP products in a bundle a few years ago. They were some of the first plugins I ever bought, and I still use them occasionally - mostly Corona, for its nifty oscillator combine modes, and Vertigo, which is a great little resynthesis/morphing tool. They're good synths, even if they could use a few updates here and there.

I was thinking about selling my Discovery Pro license recently (before this whole cloud update thing), and I noticed that the transfer fee had been raised from like $9 to $19. Now it's up to $29, which is "don't even bother" territory. The way all this reads to me is that the company is not doing too well, and George is looking for new ways to keep it afloat.

Anyway, it's not as if I have any particular insight into the plugin-making business, but it seems like the way to keep a shop profitable is to regularly release new stuff, update old stuff, and pay attention to what the customers want. Squeezing every last dime out of existing customers only makes the products less valuable, not more.

cthonophonic wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:31 pm [snip] ... the way to keep a shop profitable is to regularly release new stuff, update old stuff, and pay attention to what the customers want. Squeezing every last dime out of existing customers only makes the products less valuable, not more.
Absolutely and well said. :tu: :phones:

Question for George. How is it good business practice to make someone pay for a product twice? And why do you never send email updates? You need to take a good look at yourself and your business model. You are taking a pasting on here, but imo its warranted 😕 (and after seeing a simple question deleted from the dsp forum, Im done with this shady company. Im out)
I wonder what happens if I press this button...

mladi wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:01 pm inform proper about the changes of your business (by email and not via social media).
+1

I don't even follow ddsp in any social media because.. Why the heck I should :lol: I buy software and I assume that I get informed about changes WITHOUT that I have to follow every freaking dev/seller in the social media.

I have around 400 vsts installed so it'd be quite a time eating process to check twitter, facebook, snapchat etc from every dev/seller.

This guy is nothing more than a crook and I hope he goes out of business.

Keep this thread alive! Power to the community! :tu:

Reefius wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:18 pm Keep this thread alive! Power to the community! :tu:
if youd like to keep it alive, keep it civil, don't make accusations of criminality, that's giving george what hes after with regards getting threads locked.

I dare him to sue me.

These kind of people are all the same, when they're exposed they start treatening people. Consider me NOT afraid.

Reefius wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:27 pm I dare him to sue me.

These kind of people are all the same, when they're exposed they start treatening people. Consider me NOT afraid.
i didn't mention legal action, i said getting threads locked ;)

AnX wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:09 pm
Yeah, he didnt code that, 2dat did.

standing on the shoulder of giants and all that...
Figures lol.

Return to “Instruments”