The ipad solution

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Anyone using an ipad instead of a Mac or PC?

Being a keyboardist, i am looking for ways to expand..
I own 2 keyboards (montage/genos), that cover almost everything..

Where they fall short is in creating backings..
For which basic midi sequencing and audio edditing would be enough..
on the synthesis sode, there is room for expansion (VA, Wavetable, modular)

Since i am not going to do any major studio recording
Wouldn’t an ipad suit my needs better..
I guess an ipad pro is actually a cheap solution...
And the apps on ipad are cheap too..

So whats your experience with ipads for creation and live use?
I dont seem to be able to find a dedicated board here for mobile devices.

There is a KVR Mobile Apps & Hardware forum here.

I use an iPad as a controller and sketchpad - Korg Gadget, Auria Pro, Audulus, some other stuff. Things like no filesystem access, lack of I/O ports & keyboard, and reliance on iTunes (the single most wretched media program in computing history, IMO) for backup/syncing with other computers hinder its use for more involved tasks. Not an Apple hater but not really an iOS fan.

Winstontaneous wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 7:50 pm There is a KVR Mobile Apps & Hardware forum here.

I use an iPad as a controller and sketchpad - Korg Gadget, Auria Pro, Audulus, some other stuff. Things like no filesystem access, lack of I/O ports & keyboard, and reliance on iTunes (the single most wretched media program in computing history, IMO) for backup/syncing with other computers hinder its use for more involved tasks. Not an Apple hater but not really an iOS fan.
Who still uses iTunes since there is the cloud for backups?
Ios has filesystem (kinda) access these days, but the way ios works its one of the least used features.

I would recommend you the audiobus forum.
I work since years with iOS for music but mainly use mac now.
But IOS indeed has some really unique tools and especially for synths they are (mainly) as good as my desktop synths. It lacks in sample libraries and better FX only so far for me.
But beware of the iPad Pro which also had some issues with audio. The new iPad Air might be even better.
There is no multi-core support in iOS for real-time audio (also no DAW can use it) so everything runs on a single core.
But there are great DAWs and tools for iOS which sounds good and are well optimized.
NanoStudio 2 f.e. (but only midi, no audio tracks yet).
So again i recommend the audiobus forum where mobile musicians and a lot iOS developers are present. Here (or most other music forums) are more non-mobile focused.
It is absolute possible to do mainly everything i do on my mac with iOS. Just you have to rethinking the workflow.

I recently went back to working on an iPhone with an Apogee Jam 96k, a Røde mic and a Korg Microkey Air 25. Ultra portable set-up that at the very least is great for sketching ideas in Garageband.

[deleted by user]
Last edited by quietzone on Sun Sep 13, 2020 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

There are some pretty good sequencer apps for the iPad, and I understand that they are continually improving. I’ve played with a few of them (Gadget, Cubasis, Genome, Modstep, and probably a couple of others). Keep in mind that they are functional, but every one of them is crippled in some way or another. At least they seem that way to me. I haven’t tried any of them in some time. I never really finished a “song” that I was happy with. That doesn’t mean that people don’t make music with an iPad either. It probably says more about me than anything else. A standard iPad goes for $329, and is worth every penny. The Pros are nice, and a little more powerful, but the standard iPad is still very useful. I could recommend the standard latest generation iPad just to see if it works for you. You could probably get a factory refurb for cheaper still

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”