IK Multimedia releases MODO DRUM

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
MODO DRUM

tq wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:43 am You should get a promo code when checking out. That's from their website:

"As a special thank you to current owners of IK’s MODO BASS software, those users will also receive an automatic coupon for $/€50 off the Crossgrade version. Just be sure you are logged in on our site and add the item to your cart."

It was directly in my cart when checking out - didn't have to do anything. (You need to be logged in, though, for obvious reasons.)
I thought it was 199 for crossgrade and I don't know where the 149 came from...maybe if I put it in my cart and see if it comes up.
Little Black Dog - 2008-Present

I suspect that the benefits are a smaller footprint, fast loading times, modeled non-linearities, no need for RR samples, loads of variations in the way how the sticks hit the drums, flexible editing of many sound characteristics etc. Having 100s of Gigs of BFD drums, I can see what this does and where it could be different... I think it’s exciting enough to allow for an impulse buy. :-)

benjamind wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:01 am
tq wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:43 am You should get a promo code when checking out. That's from their website:

"As a special thank you to current owners of IK’s MODO BASS software, those users will also receive an automatic coupon for $/€50 off the Crossgrade version. Just be sure you are logged in on our site and add the item to your cart."

It was directly in my cart when checking out - didn't have to do anything. (You need to be logged in, though, for obvious reasons.)
I thought it was 199 for crossgrade and I don't know where the 149 came from...maybe if I put it in my cart and see if it comes up.
The cross grade is 199, but as an owner of Modo Bass, you get 149 after signing in. There was a promo code in my cart that gave me another 50 off.

so i was curious about how low can i get the preorder price, and ummmm... the crossgrade price is 199. for owners of MODO Bass, there is additional 50 off, which makes it 149, so 25% off. yet, it seems that the offer is mutually exclusive with JamPoints, which means for those of us who have other IK stuff, the promo code is useless, as i would've gotten a better discount if i applied JamPoints. as a bonus, i can't remove the promo code and apply JamPoints instead - the cart wouldn't let me, it puts the MODO discount back in.

IK, how about allowing both JamPoints and MODO Bass discount? i mean, i appreciate that you're finally listening and rewarding your loyal customers, but this is implemented ass-backwards.
I don't know what to write here that won't be censored, as I can only speak in profanity.

Just guessing, but it could be one of these offers that cannot be mixed with Jam Points. I bought it nonetheless at the 149, but I still have more than 100 dollars in Jam Points sitting in my account & waiting to expire...

(That said, I find it a good move by IK to honor Modo bass users and previous customers. That's not always the case, is it...? :-) )

the way it's implemented right now means that IK is actually punishing those who have MODO Bass, because the MODO Bass discount is less than maximum discount from JamPoints. i really hope it's a mistake to not allow MODO Bass discount together with JamPoints.
I don't know what to write here that won't be censored, as I can only speak in profanity.

Can you apply Jam Points *at all* for the cross grade price? I was suspecting that the answer is "no"...

Burillo wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:11 pm the way it's implemented right now means that IK is actually punishing those who have MODO Bass, because the MODO Bass discount is less than maximum discount from JamPoints. i really hope it's a mistake to not allow MODO Bass discount together with JamPoints.
That seems really odd, maybe an accountant devised it?

tq wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:13 pm Can you apply Jam Points *at all* for the cross grade price? I was suspecting that the answer is "no"...
you can if you don't own MODO Bass. you can't if you do. not even if you remove the promo code from your cart - it's automatically put back in. ideally, it should be possible to apply both, but if IK is that stingy, at the very least they should allow removing the MODO Bass promo code and apply jampoints instead.

wagtunes wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:56 am So if I want a drum sound that requires a sample that this doesn't have, I'm out of luck.

Okay. I guess I'm just an idiot because I don't get how this is a game changer.

I'll keep the samples I have that cover just about every drum sound I could ever want to make.
I think the idea is to edit the drum. Want a different sound? Find something in the ballpark, then adjust the dimensions, tuning, snare tension, beater type, etc. Do that until you get the sound you want. If you have something like BFD3 with a ton of content, or dare I say, if you are a drummer, you'll understand the importance of tuning and heads. You can't just load any Black Beauty snare sample and expect them all to sound like your idea of how that drum sounds based off some record you heard it was used on. Unless the drum was tuned specifically for that sound and mic'd up in a similar manner. Otherwise, what you'll more commonly find is that the different samples of that drum can sound very very different from one another. Ever load up a Ludwig Black Oyster kit from one of those products and think, "this sounds nothing like Ringo's drums?" Or one of the Vistalite kits with Bonham?

I'm not sure how well MODO will work when it comes to customizing the drums, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't interested in finding out. Also, Wags, considering how much you use MODO Bass, you may not want to be so quick to write this off. I'd at least demo it first once it becomes available.

If you own an IK product, there are crossgrades and also some surprise extra discounts on top of that. My crossgrade, as a MODO Bass owner
is 199 - 49. Came to 149.99 USD, so in total I'll be paying around 225 all in CAD.

Definitely not a budget product, so research thoroughly and if satisfied pull the trigger if you have as big a discount as I do. I promised myself I would save my spending for Melodyne Studio upgrade and possibly Studio One, so I'll be checking out a lot of demos before parting with my cash.

Burillo wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:17 pm
tq wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:13 pm Can you apply Jam Points *at all* for the cross grade price? I was suspecting that the answer is "no"...
you can if you don't own MODO Bass. you can't if you do. not even if you remove the promo code from your cart - it's automatically put back in. ideally, it should be possible to apply both, but if IK is that stingy, at the very least they should allow removing the MODO Bass promo code and apply jampoints instead.
O.k., that's bad. I was under the impression that Jam Points cannot be applied at all. Now this is indeed punishing Bass users. Hope they can repair that somehow. And refund me the difference. :cry:

Can the OP edit the thread title? This is a pre-order. Nothing's been "released" as of yet. Replacing it with the word "announced" would be better and prevent people from looking for a demo.

This product sounds amazing for physical modeling (I’ll wonder how extreme you’ll be able to change the dimensions of the drums).

Modo Bass is my go to bass plugin (when I don’t want to plug in my bassguitar :wink: ). For me Modo Drums is a musthave. But 182 euro (incl VAT) is a lot of money.

I’ll stick with Toontrack and BFD and I’ll demo Modo Drum when it is released.

( Too bad I can’t use my Jampoints. )

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:21 pm
wagtunes wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:56 am So if I want a drum sound that requires a sample that this doesn't have, I'm out of luck.

Okay. I guess I'm just an idiot because I don't get how this is a game changer.

I'll keep the samples I have that cover just about every drum sound I could ever want to make.
I think the idea is to edit the drum. Want a different sound? Find something in the ballpark, then adjust the dimensions, tuning, snare tension, beater type, etc. Do that until you get the sound you want. If you have something like BFD3 with a ton of content, or dare I say, if you are a drummer, you'll understand the importance of tuning and heads. You can't just load any Black Beauty snare sample and expect them all to sound like your idea of how that drum sounds based off some record you heard it was used on. Unless the drum was tuned specifically for that sound and mic'd up in a similar manner. Otherwise, what you'll more commonly find is that the different samples of that drum can sound very very different from one another. Ever load up a Ludwig Black Oyster kit from one of those products and think, "this sounds nothing like Ringo's drums?" Or one of the Vistalite kits with Bonham?

I'm not sure how well MODO will work when it comes to customizing the drums, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't interested in finding out. Also, Wags, considering how much you use MODO Bass, you may not want to be so quick to write this off. I'd at least demo it first once it becomes available.
The thing is, for $150 (assuming I qualify for all the discounts) this doesn't seem to offer me the flexibility that I'm looking for. Essentially, I want to be able to create any drum sound that I've heard or can imagine in my head. This appears to be, if nothing else, at least slightly limited to the samples that it comes with. Now, if you can import your OWN samples and THEN do anything you want with THEM, well, that's a different story. Then I can see it. But not when I'm limited to what they give me.

Also, understand that there is a big difference between the number of bass sounds you can get and the number of drum sounds you can get, with the latter being infinitely more. Thus, I didn't expect as much from MODO Bass which I got for $150. Plus, the sound quality of MODO Bass, or more specifically, the realism aspect, is leaps and bounds above samples. I don't see how I'm getting that with a product that is based on samples.

Thus, for the money I'd have to spend, there's really nothing for me to demo. My drum needs are covered with what I already have, which is hundreds of gigs of samples.

What more do I need?

Return to “Instruments”