IK Multimedia releases MODO DRUM

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
MODO DRUM

mladi wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:26 am "combination of modal synthesis and advanced sampling"

Hmm. ..not really interested anymore.
Ah, that is the “magic”. Acoustic drum are very hard to model. Very complex. Using samples will make the plugin sound more realistic, but less interesting. I am curious how they used the samples in physical modeling. Only the attack?

Watching the 2 YouTube videos on the first page I heard / read:
-- "physical modelling drum virtual instrument", no mention of samples,
-- "infinite velocity layers",
-- "infinite round robin",
-- "cymbal sample engine,
-- resizeable GUI,
-- a few percussion instruments for compatibility with the GM standard".

Some questions spring to mind:
-- which aspects are physically modelled and which aspects are sampled?
-- what kit pieces are there?
-- what MIDI to drum kit piece mapping is used (e.g. GM?, iMap mapping?, or ...
-- can the mapping be edited, or a different mapping selected (BFD, EZDrummer, SSD etc)?
-- it looks like all the knobs ranges are from 0 to 10 (including Volume, Tuning, Diameter and Height), rather than "real" units.
DarkStar, ... Interesting, if true
Inspired by ...

mladi wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:26 am "combination of modal synthesis and advanced sampling"

[edit - see this correction later in the thread too] We are able to blend some samples with the modeling on the drums too where appropriate to achieve the best most realistic representation of the settings you choose. Sorry about that, was being too concise and missed a note about the progress of MODO DRUM as it moves toward release.

[edit - fixed link]
Last edited by Peter - IK Multimedia on Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

wagtunes wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:56 am So if I want a drum sound that requires a sample that this doesn't have, I'm out of luck.

Okay. I guess I'm just an idiot because I don't get how this is a game changer.

I'll keep the samples I have that cover just about every drum sound I could ever want to make.
See correction above
Last edited by Peter - IK Multimedia on Thu Jun 20, 2019 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Note that JamPoints and coupon codes have not been able to be combined in our shop, so there's no change in policy there, same as it has been for a very very long time. However, we've alerted the IT team that the coupon cannot be removed from the cart for those who would like to substitute their JamPoints instead. Thank you.

Peter - IK Multimedia wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:23 pm

Only sampled portions are cymbals. All drums in MODO DRUM are physically modeled.
That's a disappointment, as generally everything but the cymbals are good enough sampled. It's the cymbals/hi-hats and specifically how they interact with previous hits that usually gives away the fact that it's a sample, not the real drum sound.

BTW does hi-hat count as a cymbal? If you managed to get that modeled this might at least be worth a look, but my guess is that if you couldn't get the basic cymbals, you probably didn't get the hats either.

Decided it's not for me.
Last edited by dblock on Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Peter - IK Multimedia wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:25 pm
wagtunes wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:56 am So if I want a drum sound that requires a sample that this doesn't have, I'm out of luck.

I'll keep the samples I have that cover just about every drum sound I could ever want to make.
See above. Drums are physically modeled. Cymbals would be the only samples involved.
Ah, okay. That makes a HUGE difference. Probably should make this clear in any video demos and/or documentation on the web site.

Only sampled portions are cymbals. All drums in MODO DRUM are physically modeled.
although i have no interest in it (dont use drums) it sounds pretty good from those vids :tu:

Peter, will there be a chance to demo while still getting the crossgrade+MODO Bass owners pricing? In fact, at 20GB, will there be a demo at all?

DarkStar wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:15 am Specs "... 8GB of RAM (16 GB suggested), 20GB of available hard-disk space" What's all that disk space for? The graphics?
20 GB HD space without samples ??? :o
http://www.lelotusbleu.fr Synth Presets

77 Exclusive Soundbanks for 23 synths, 8 Sound Designers, Hours of audio Demos. The Sound you miss might be there

Peter ... do you know if there are predefined drum maps for electronic drums like the Roland TD series and Alesis kits?

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:33 pm Peter, will there be a chance to demo while still getting the crossgrade+MODO Bass owners pricing? In fact, at 20GB, will there be a demo at all?
IK will say no, because they want you to preorder. in reality, as far as i'm aware, all of the recent preorders had their preorder price extended for a short time after release.
I don't know what to write here that won't be censored, as I can only speak in profanity.

So basically 19GB of cymbals (20 GB hard drive space, minus, say, 1 GB for graphics, midi files, etc)? That's a lot of cymbal samples! :ud:

wagtunes wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:08 pm
Peter - IK Multimedia wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:25 pm

See above. Drums are physically modeled. Cymbals would be the only samples involved.
Ah, okay. That makes a HUGE difference. Probably should make this clear in any video demos and/or documentation on the web site.
We do mention the cymbals use an advanced sampling engine and that the drums are physically modeled (see slight correction in previous posts) in both videos from what I can see but I'll have a look through the other materials. Thanks
Last edited by Peter - IK Multimedia on Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Instruments”