IK Multimedia releases MODO DRUM

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
MODO DRUM

Lotuzia wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:36 pm
DarkStar wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:15 am Specs "... 8GB of RAM (16 GB suggested), 20GB of available hard-disk space" What's all that disk space for? The graphics?
20 GB HD space without samples ??? :o
No, there are samples - for the cymbals (including hi-hats, I reckon).
DarkStar, ... Interesting, if true
Inspired by ...

Peter, Any information regarding drum maps for electronic drum controllers. I only see finger style drumming in the examples. Apologies if I missed it.

Peter - IK Multimedia wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:46 pm We do mention the cymbals use an advanced sampling engine and that the drums are physically modeled in both videos from what I can see but I'll have a look through the other materials. Thanks
Peter, can you also clarify:

1. What does "Advanced Sampling Engine" mean for the cymbals? Is cymbal swell/wash modeled? If we ride a crash or an open hat, is there machine-gunning, or is the same kind of "infinite round robin" thing happening on cymbals? How much of the cymbal sounds are modeled versus sampled?

2. How do Overhead/Room channels work? Are there actual microphone channels in the mixer for these? Can I compress the begeezus out of a room microphone channel? How many do we get if so? Or is it just those "overhead/room" knobs on a per-kit-piece basis with everything routed to the drum channel (example: the kick is only head in the kick channel and that's the entirety of the total kick sound)? Is there microphone bleed? Can the "room location" be changed (think moving the mics back) or just the volume?

Okay, I watched what videos (2) are available (unless I'm missing some). Here's my question.

There are 10 kits that are modeled. What if I want to sound like Stewart Copeland's Tama kit, especially that snare sound? I don't see anything in the models that comes close.

So again, we're still limited to the kits that are modeled. We can't exactly model a specific kit if it's not one of the 10 modeled kits.

Okay, so if I'm wrong, what am I missing?

Here's Stewart Copelands SC145.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eliwSfyA1WQ

Let me hear MODO Drums do this and you've sold me.

DarkStar wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:21 pm Watching the 2 YouTube videos on the first page I heard / read:
-- "physical modelling drum virtual instrument", no mention of samples,
-- "infinite velocity layers",
-- "infinite round robin",
-- "cymbal sample engine,
-- resizeable GUI,
-- a few percussion instruments for compatibility with the GM standard".

Some questions spring to mind:
-- which aspects are physically modelled and which aspects are sampled?
-- what kit pieces are there?
-- what MIDI to drum kit piece mapping is used (e.g. GM?, iMap mapping?, or ...
-- can the mapping be edited, or a different mapping selected (BFD, EZDrummer, SSD etc)?
-- it looks like all the knobs ranges are from 0 to 10 (including Volume, Tuning, Diameter and Height), rather than "real" units.
Drums are modeled, cymbals are sampled. There are plans for some features outside of the GM mapping and I'm checking to get some more finalized specs on those before I dive deeper there. Also checking on whether we'll have specific e-kit mappings)

The kit pieces are shown on the product page

See above for mapping.

Not sure of the question for that last item. You can see those settings in action in the two available videos, though, if that helps clarify.

[edit - fixed link]
Last edited by Peter - IK Multimedia on Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Is this e-drum friendly, i.e., are there mappings for popular drum modules like Superior Drummer and Addictive Drums have?

Coool, this looks interesting! Some of the demo songs could have used some finessing (the Pop Funk song doesn’t really groove :D), but the drum sounds themselves have potential, and a lot of variation. Totally love the snare in Post Rock song.

You can argue about the small things all you want, but the thing is, for the first time in human history (AFAIK), we have a piece of software that produces quite convincing pop/rock drum sounds in real time, using nothing else than some mathematical equations that probably go way over most people’s head. And all this runs on your home computer. Yeah, we’ll see how it runs in practice and what quirks/bugs the plugin might have etc etc, but just being this far in the history of computers, music, mathematics and physics is super cool.

Captain wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:18 pm Coool, this looks interesting! Some of the demo songs could have used some finessing (the Pop Funk song doesn’t really groove :D), but the drum sounds themselves have potential, and a lot of variation. Totally love the snare in Post Rock song.

You can argue about the small things all you want, but the thing is, for the first time in human history (AFAIK), we have a piece of software that produces quite convincing pop/rock drum sounds in real time, using nothing else than some mathematical equations that probably go way over most people’s head. And all this runs on your home computer. Yeah, we’ll see how it runs in practice and what quirks/bugs the plugin might have etc etc, but just being this far in the history of computers, music, mathematics and physics is super cool.
Thanks. Correction to my previous post, though, with regard to "nothing else than some mathematical equations". We are able to blend some samples with the modeling on the drums too where appropriate to achieve the best most realistic representation of the settings you choose. Sorry about that, was being too concise and missed a note about the progress of MODO DRUM as it moves toward release.
Last edited by Peter - IK Multimedia on Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wagtunes wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:02 pm Okay, I watched what videos (2) are available (unless I'm missing some). Here's my question.

There are 10 kits that are modeled. What if I want to sound like Stewart Copeland's Tama kit, especially that snare sound? I don't see anything in the models that comes close.

So again, we're still limited to the kits that are modeled. We can't exactly model a specific kit if it's not one of the 10 modeled kits.

Okay, so if I'm wrong, what am I missing?

Here's Stewart Copelands SC145.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eliwSfyA1WQ

Let me hear MODO Drums do this and you've sold me.
That looks like shallow steel shell snare drum, tuned fairly high, tight tension on the snares. I'm sure MODO DRUM could get you there. It's not super unique compared to what's available in MODO DRUM aside from being a specific brand.
Last edited by Peter - IK Multimedia on Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

listened to the demos. meh. as much as i love MODO Bass, i didn't like the demos one bit. the drums sound... i don't know how to describe it. they have a sound to them that i don't like, and that i can hear in all of the demos. i'll pass.
I don't know what to write here that won't be censored, as I can only speak in profanity.

Well, I'm disappointed that the cymbals are sampled because for me the hihats are what really give away fake drums. Any plans on addressing this in the future?

NAD wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 5:43 pm Well, I'm disappointed that the cymbals are sampled because for me the hihats are what really give away fake drums. Any plans on addressing this in the future?
I've asked if we may implement some modeling in cymbals in general. I'll keep you posted. I'll get it in context of v1.0 vs possibility beyond release so the expectations are appropriate. Especially in light of the mea culpa on the previous correction above.

That said, with regard to hi-hats we will have the following articulations for the three available hi-hats:

Tight Tip

Close Tip
Half Open Tip
Open Tip

Close Shank
Half Open Shank
Open Shank

Foot Open
Foot Close

We will also feature continuous Hi-Hat aperture control via a specific key and a selectable CC will regulate the aperture.

Plus, there be a shell beating position controllable via selectable MIDI CC for snare and toms.

Peter - IK Multimedia wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 5:27 pm
Captain wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:18 pm Coool, this looks interesting! Some of the demo songs could have used some finessing (the Pop Funk song doesn’t really groove :D), but the drum sounds themselves have potential, and a lot of variation. Totally love the snare in Post Rock song.

Thanks. Correction to my previous post, though, with regard to "nothing else than some mathematical equations". We are able to blend some samples with the modeling on the drums too where appropriate to achieve the best most realistic representation of the settings you choose. Sorry about that, was being too concise and missed a note about the progress of MODO DRUM as it moves toward release.
Does that mean that more then the cymbals were sampled? In expection that this thread will be very long you should edit your posts with the wrong replies then.
Intel® Core™ i9-9900K•Cubase 11•Presonus Eris E8 XT•Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 & Octopre•NI Kontrol S61 MK2•Stein­berg CC121•Synthesizers: Arturia Casio Korg Roland Yamaha

I did edit mine. I can't edit quotes within others' posts. I think it is clear, though. This is a yet-unreleased product, slight changes may occur and can be expected (and communicated), and I corrected where necessary and we're on the right trajectory.

Gonna be a hard pass for me unless I can demo it first. I get it for the MODO Bass crossgrade price, but I already have the Abbey Road drums when I want more realism. I didn't hear anything in those videos that made this a must have as of yet. Will have to see if more details ahead of release change my mind.

Return to “Instruments”