Native Instruments Massive X Synth - Sequel to Massive (Out Now!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Massive Massive X X-Squared For Massive X

Forgotten wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:20 pm Frankly, I'm surprised that this synth has caused so much discussion. I'll probably use it here and there, but can't see it's going to change my life or anything.

Me either, certainly not so much that I'll need to layer it up enough to complain about CPU usage. I'm mostly interested in what features demand the CPU and how does that manifest in terms of marginal improvement in sound. It's mostly exciting to me because, like with the original massive, they're not holding back with the modeling.

I will probably use it more often than I realize though as part of Maschine packs. I use massive that way now and it really hasn't been a mainstream synth for me for a while.

I kind of overlooked massive when it first came out, only to then rediscover it years later and now love it. I just want to make sure I don't miss it again the first time around so I'll likely really explore the synth when its released :) Whether its groundbreaking or just another synth, atleast I won't overlook it.
High Quality Soundsets for Lush-101 | Hive | Electra 2 | Diversion | Halion | Largo | Rapid | Dune II | Thorn | and more.

TTU Youtube

Forgotten wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:20 pm Frankly, I'm surprised that this synth has caused so much discussion. I'll probably use it here and there, but can't see it's going to change my life or anything.
Some people here are good at crancking up the hype. 😉
I guess it's similar in concept as Phaseplant so it's not unique or anything. We hardly heard anything besides some dubsteppy stuff so we'll know how it sounds when it comes out.

Well Massive was a game changer for some genres, who knows this might do that again.
Don't trust those with words of weakness, they are the most aggressive

Yeah I bet you can't see as such given that they haven't shown yet nearly anything at all about Massive X

i expect a really fine wavetable selection, and some good FM capabilities, but the only thing advertised that differ from other synths are the oscillator mode :
  • ART (hard sync + resonnant band pass simulation)
  • Jitter (random deviation at the end of cycle)
  • Random (random everything)
  • Gorilla (they just say it produce aggressive tone, i suspect king of sinefold waveshapping)
i guess how the random modes will act, as real random should never produce the same sound at each play ??!

nothing like remap mode of Serum, i guess there will also no custom shape for distortion, i like to draw shape ;)

i can not wait to hear that Gorilla mode to see how i can simulate it from a Serum remap shape.

drdriller wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:54 am i guess how the random modes will act, as real random should never produce the same sound at each play ??!
Interestingly enough, this isn't actually true. Real random is the exact opposite: not only should it be capable of producing the same sound, it should be capable of producing the same sound a hundred times in row if you gave it enough chances to do that.

What you're referring to is a "humane" notion of random: it's actually less random. Think about it like this: say you have a sequence of 5 numbers and you had to guess the next number based on the previous sequence. The previous sequence could be something like 52981. Now, your odds of guessing the next number are 1 to 9 if we assume that the next number could be anything between 1-9 (as it would be if it was truly random). But, if we would limit the randomness so that the sequence would never follow up with a number it had just used, you would know that the next number couldn't be 1 in this sequence: your odds are now 1 to 8, which are better than 1 to 9.

But there's more to this. You see, say you were designing a system that plays back a playlist of songs. Say, you do it for a client. The client would ask "I want it to play them randomly". So you do that. But then the client comes back and says: "Hey, it played the song twice in a row! I don't want that!" and then you have to make it less random: it can't play no longer the same song twice in a row. But even after this, the customer comes back: "Hey, it played one song, then another, but then already played the song before previous song again! I don't want that"

This goes on all the way until you essentially design a system which works something like this: it can't play any of the past 10 songs it has played again (until they are no longer in that pool). But more importantly: it will also go through each song of the playlist before it starts a new cycle. And in fact, the past "10 songs" rule will mostly apply only when the cycle begins anew, as in, it has gone through the whole playlist. The amount of randomness, only to make it please humans, is nearly insignificant in this system.

Of course, I wouldn't know what random means in context of oscillator cycles. As in, how its set up in particular. Humane notion of random probably doesn't matter as much there given how short the cycles are to begin with

LeVzi wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:07 am Well Massive was a game changer for some genres, who knows this might do that again.
At least it will bring it back into focus what a substantial synth it really is.

I'll wait to hear what U2's keyboardist has to say about it before I make my purchase decision.

yehboy1 wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:48 pm I'll wait to hear what U2's keyboardist has to say about it before I make my purchase decision.
:hihi:

yehboy1 wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:48 pm I'll wait to hear what U2's keyboardist has to say about it before I make my purchase decision.
:lol:

:shrug:
High Quality Soundsets for Lush-101 | Hive | Electra 2 | Diversion | Halion | Largo | Rapid | Dune II | Thorn | and more.

TTU Youtube

:lol: :x :lol:

Is that Jordan Rudess? I don't know, I don't follow all the hip bands like you guys do.

No. That's Dream Theatre ( think). Don't even know the name of U2's keyboarder. I only know Bono and The Edge. :P

When i was young, everyone wanted to be like The Edge. Never figured out why.

Return to “Instruments”