IK Multimedia releases MODO DRUM

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
MODO DRUM

Examigan wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:56 pm I am wondering what this will do for the hihat: "continuous Hi-Hat aperture control"
as there are just 3 different types: closed, open and half open.

Will there be a way to somehow fake other positions in-between those (such as 1/4 or 3/4 open etc.) or not? I couldn't tell by listening to the demos. It would be nice to hear just the hihat being hit with nothing else playing, and have it slowly opening up the hihat over time (with whatever the aperture setting does) to hear how it sounds.
Those are three specific articulations. The actual aperture of the hi-hat will be controlled via CC so you will have the various degrees between full open and closed with that control. If I recall, we have some good hi-hat work in some of the audio demos.

electro wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:15 pm What kind of snare and tom dampening parameters are we looking at?
There's a damp control but I don't believe we have settings like "wallet" or "duct tape" etc :) I've requested some more detail on the damp control, and will let you know more details when I have them.

zentatonic wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 1:26 pm This sounds excellent. Almost makes it worth installing that bloated custom shop gear credits thingamajig.
MODO BASS isn't a Custom Shop product, and there's no mention of Custom Shop requirements on the MODO DRUM web page(s).

@Peter, do you know when pre-orders end? I would like to get this but gotta wait for fundage. Sorry if i missed the date somewhere on the website.

Loachman wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:35 pm @Peter, do you know when pre-orders end? I would like to get this but gotta wait for fundage. Sorry if i missed the date somewhere on the website.
We mention it in the news piece, but it is easy to miss. We're looking at August for the prices to revert, which is when we expect to release. Thanks!

Peter - IK Multimedia wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:05 pm
Loachman wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:35 pm @Peter, do you know when pre-orders end? I would like to get this but gotta wait for fundage. Sorry if i missed the date somewhere on the website.
We mention it in the news piece, but it is easy to miss. We're looking at August for the prices to revert, which is when we expect to release. Thanks!
Phew! I just about hit budget this month doing the upgrade to Komplete Ultimate, so this is good to hear.
Based on the quality of MODO Bass alone I'm interested in this, and will be checking the audio demos out for sure.
I've got Jampoints to burn and I own the Bass, so price is even more enticing for me :tu:
Edit: Just saw on another forum someone mentioning Jampoints cannot be used with the intro And MODO Bass discounts already in play, is that correct?
Last edited by ftech on Sat Jun 22, 2019 12:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Peter - IK Multimedia wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:05 pm
Thanks Peter. This gives me plenty of time!!

I am interested to know how adding your own midi files is handled. EZDrummer sorts them logically and by folder/vendor name. It would be a mess if it did not show by folder/vendor name or something similar.

Peter - IK Multimedia wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:16 pm
Examigan wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:56 pm I am wondering what this will do for the hihat: "continuous Hi-Hat aperture control"

Will there be a way to somehow fake other positions in-between those (such as 1/4 or 3/4 open etc.) or not? I couldn't tell by listening to the demos. It would be nice to hear just the hihat being hit with nothing else playing, and have it slowly opening up the hihat over time (with whatever the aperture setting does) to hear how it sounds.
Those are three specific articulations. The actual aperture of the hi-hat will be controlled via CC so you will have the various degrees between full open and closed with that control. If I recall, we have some good hi-hat work in some of the audio demos.
Thanks for the info Peter! :)

Just listened to the audio demo's. Cymbals sound fine. Hi-hats so-so. Drums themselves -meh. Sorry. This is a miss for me. Maybe the demo will prove me wrong but I'll take Slate or Toontracks any day over this offering.

I've always thought that most of IK's drumsets were pretty bad but this doesn't sound a whole lot better then what is in their plug ins already. So sale or no sale don't matter. I wanted to like it. But just listen to that last audio loop "ballad" it's just bad bad bad.
Country demo -o please. Keep working IK or maybe hire some guys from the Toontrack team to make some presets.

So many people here talking about price, but has everyone given the audio samples a good listen? Price doesn't matter if the product is bad:(

If you like the sound, can you point me to the a demo that you were impressed with because I'm trying to understand.
W11 i9-13900K, 64GB Cubase, UAD/Motu Monitor 8 front end and more plugins then I ever actually need :D

Thank heavens you pointed out that the sound is the most important, we'd all forgotten except you!

Sounds pretty good to me. I like the sound of pretty much everything I heard in the demos.
Little Black Dog - 2008-Present

Exactly, they aren't in the 'articulations' but magically in a continuous controller. I don't buy it based in an assertion.

Normal CC4 is five zones: open, 3/4, 1/2, 1/4, closed, with the in between a velocity thing with a lot of layers.
It makes a certain sense to go for actual continuous if you're going to push it as a breakthrough (it would mean tons of samples), and to not have infinite articulations, but 2 of 5 articulations missing is not helping me believe.

I think the product demos are among the best I have heard. The mixing is exceptional on the youtube tracks. I'm listening for the articulations, the dynamics and the balance of the kit. You can really hear the expressiveness of the individual kit pieces. The hi-hat works sounds very realistic to me especially where it is exposed... I can hear the articulation and fills - they don't sound mechanical. The toms really sound great (the stick and resonances!) The cymbals just sound "right". I want to hear more demos of course with a variety of styles to assess the versatility of the kits which will also highlight the effort taken to develop good preset starting points for the kits. The audio demos that are provided sound great to me.

I think the deciding factor for me is going to be e_Kit integration, the ability to leverage the midi libraries that I have already amassed from my other drumming products and stability out of the gate.

I also think that a product category as important as this one needs to have a long term commitment to product development. I'd want this to get the same attention as Amplitube where continuous product development is apparent. If it is handled like Sampletank I won't be satisfied. In my view IK let that one stagnate too long to the point where it lost some relevance. A software drummer has to receive a lot of developer attention. IK has such a wide range of products now I hope that their development team has the resources to make this not a just a contender but push for the very top tier status in that software category. That is why a product road map outlining the vision for the product would be helpful if not reassuring.

I hope that IK gets this into reviewer's hands before the promotional period ends.
Last edited by Scotty on Sun Jun 23, 2019 10:15 am, edited 2 times in total.

Once they release MODO GUITAR they'll have the rock band in a box fantasy all so complete.

That will be the final piece but in 2019 two out of three ain't bad.
Little Black Dog - 2008-Present

Return to “Instruments”