Logic Pro constantly crashing trying to edit/delete/add track

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Every time I tried playing back one of my projects, Logic would crash. As near as I could figure, what caused it is that the drum track was imported from a MIDI I made using MakeMusic Finale. (Why that one and not the other parts also from Finale I can't guess.) I tried various methods to fix it, but now it's gotten so bad I can't do ANYTHING without Logic crashing immediately. If I could just delete the offending track and redo it from scratch I could start working on the song again, but I can't even get that far.

Now the same thing is happening to another project, only it's an AUDIO track, with no MIDI whatsoever (except on the other tracks). I can't delete it, I can't alter it, I can't click play...

Somebody PLEASE help me with this. I can't finish my music if this keeps happening...

Have you updated recently? Have you tried importing to a new file? Any third party plugins shared? You could try deleting the preferences. This is kind of a catch all for solving LPX issues.

I actually updated Logic just the other day hoping that it would fix the problem, but no such luck.
The two projects have quite a few shared third party plugins- mainly Kontakt. They also share GForce M-Tron Pro, GForce Minimonsta, Audio Ease Altiverb 7, and Nomad Factory Magnetic II. (I have several favorites.) But these plugins have never given me trouble before... as far as I know, nothing changed before I updated Logic.

I just tried clicking "Reset All Preferences Except Key Commands" but that didn't seem to do anything.

deleting from disk means they have to be rebuilt from nothing (I would save key commands if they're separate like that), the idea being there is corruption.

Okay, but it still didn't stop the projects from crashing. It's only those two so far.

First off. Export your key commands so you don't have to rely on that option to make sure they remain as you've customized them. That's always a good idea. The preferences aren't that extensive that you can't redo them in a few minutes.

To delete preferences completely, close Logic, hold option and click on the goto menu, and select library. Go to the preferences folder and find the two files that mention Logic. Move them to the trash, then empty the trash and restart Logic.

This is almost magical in some instances. If that still doesn't work, try importing the tracks into a clean project using the command under the file menu. I'm not on a Mac at the moment or I'd be more specific.

I never changed the key commands (never used them) so that's not a problem.

I deleted "com.apple.logic.pro.cs" and "com.apple.logic10.plist". (I made backups just in case.) The first project still crashes if I click on anything, and now the second one crashes before it even loads.

I'm afraid I can't tell what import/export command under File you're talking about...

Just tried loading up a backup of the projects, and got a version that's a little bit behind where I was last, but not by much. At least this version PLAYS.
Cautiously recreating the missing parts, here's hoping.

UPDATE: Okay, something I've been thinking from the start: it seems to have something to do with the Super Audio Cart library (specifically the 1 Layer version I think??). I don't know what exactly, but before this problem got really bad earlier this month, the first project would crash trying to play the drum part that was using it. Now it's the melody also using it. Before I just fixed it by reloading the instrument, but I would like to know what's causing the problem. It's still being really slow despite my Mac being pretty fast.

UPDATE 2: And now both projects are crashing again. What the heck??
UPDATE 3: Now the second project isn't crashing...?

Plugins causing problems is hardly unknown, and easy to troubleshoot. It’s just that the answer and solution aren’t what you want.

Um, they aren't...?

The solution being to not use the plug-in that's acting up. That's assuming you are going to be disappointed about not using a plug-in you liked. Then again, it's an opportunity to find one you like better.

also, projects can become corrupt

Yeah, that's not happening. There's no replacement for that sample library, because nothing comes close to it. It's absolutely essential to the kind of music I make.
For one thing, Super Audio Cart never gave me any problems before- there are still many other projects that use it that function perfectly. It's only these two.
And the behavior isn't even consistent anymore. One of the projects was crashing when I tried using an entirely different plugin yesterday- McDSP FutzBox (which also never gave me any problems before). Just now the other project didn't crash. So I don't know what the heck is going on. It almost seems random now. After all, I went back to old versions of the projects and they were working again for a time, and I didn't even change any plugins in one case.

Ugh, there's got to be another solution. If it's some sort of corruption, I'd like to know what caused it and if there's some way of replacing the corrupt data- the data for the music itself is still there, intact as far as I can see.
If it's something to do with a plugin, all I can think of is I'm encountering some bug that only shows up rarely. I've been using SAC for nearly two years now with no trouble.

In good news, I did manage to finish one of the songs yesterday while it was still working. So that's something.

corruption can be caused by physics, eg., heat

I would seek to recreate the project by saving the MIDI and making notes of things.
you may want to go into Recover mode on restart (hold command-R until Apple logo) and 'reinstall Mac OS.' It's not a clean reinstall but it will restore core files.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”