Softube Modular

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
Mushy Mushy
KVRAF
11783 posts since 7 Sep, 2008

Post Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:59 am

Mushy Mushy wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 1:47 pm
Mushy Mushy wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:36 am
Next question: how can I toggle, via DAW automation, the Freeze button in Clouds? It doesn't appear as an option in the automation fields so I then thought about assigning a Performance Switch to it. Nope, that isn't allowable either.
Now if I could just resolve this one I’ll be a happy camper.
Bueller?
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

hardwired
KVRist
286 posts since 25 Oct, 2004

Re: Softube Modular

Post Sun Jun 16, 2019 1:56 pm

Mushy Mushy wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 1:47 pm
Mushy Mushy wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:36 am
Next question: how can I toggle, via DAW automation, the Freeze button in Clouds? It doesn't appear as an option in the automation fields so I then thought about assigning a Performance Switch to it. Nope, that isn't allowable either.
Now if I could just resolve this one I’ll be a happy camper.
Not at my music computer so not sure this will work. You could try wiring a Midi To Trigger module to the freeze input in Clouds and then use the assigned note to trigger the freeze.

If it's just a pulse, which I think it would be, throw a ADSR between the Midi To Trigger and the Freeze input of Clouds

Mushy Mushy
KVRAF
11783 posts since 7 Sep, 2008

Re: Softube Modular

Post Sun Jun 16, 2019 2:21 pm

hardwired wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 1:56 pm
Mushy Mushy wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 1:47 pm
Mushy Mushy wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:36 am
Next question: how can I toggle, via DAW automation, the Freeze button in Clouds? It doesn't appear as an option in the automation fields so I then thought about assigning a Performance Switch to it. Nope, that isn't allowable either.
Now if I could just resolve this one I’ll be a happy camper.
Not at my music computer so not sure this will work. You could try wiring a Midi To Trigger module to the freeze input in Clouds and then use the assigned note to trigger the freeze.

If it's just a pulse, which I think it would be, throw a ADSR between the Midi To Trigger and the Freeze input of Clouds
Yes and no, but yes :D

The MIDI to Trigger module doesn't work when using the trigger out so I had to use velocity instead. This did mean always ensuring a note is played with 0 or 127 velocity depending if I want the trigger.

However, you did turn the light-bulb on because I then thought of the MIDI to CV module and using Gate, and it works an absolute treat. Clearly a brain fart moment at my end :oops: Thanks for your help :tu:

So there goes tonight's sleep :ud:
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

perpetual3
KVRian
833 posts since 28 Sep, 2012

Re: Softube Modular

Post Sun Jun 16, 2019 3:42 pm

perpetual3 wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 3:39 pm
With Softube Modular, does anybody know how to control the pitch of the heartbeat 808ish drum module (called kick)? Note cv into the pitch input of the module doesn’t snap to scale, so to traverse an octave in Modular requires traversing something like 8 octaves on a keyboard.
Any ideas?

infection
KVRer
2 posts since 29 Aug, 2006

Re: Softube Modular

Post Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:39 pm

Is anyone else experiencing extreme graphical lag in the VST 2 version and Clicks/dropouts every few seconds in the VST 3 version?

Im on Win10, i9-9900k so its not due to CPU overload.
Same experience in both Bitwig and Reaper.

User avatar
cthonophonic
KVRist
309 posts since 1 Jan, 2018

Re: Softube Modular

Post Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:06 pm

perpetual3 wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 3:42 pm
perpetual3 wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 3:39 pm
With Softube Modular, does anybody know how to control the pitch of the heartbeat 808ish drum module (called kick)? Note cv into the pitch input of the module doesn’t snap to scale, so to traverse an octave in Modular requires traversing something like 8 octaves on a keyboard.
Any ideas?
The tuning range of the Kick module is only about 7 semitones, from around D#2 to A#2. It's not a constant tone, but the pitches fall roughly in that range.

If you run your note CV through an offset, then scale it up using a CV mix, you should be able to control the pitch (within the narrow range the module allows) using a note CV. I tried around +0.75 for the offset and 16x for the scale (4x on the input and 4x on the output) and got reasonably close. This was with the pitch control of the kick turned down to the lowest setting.

perpetual3
KVRian
833 posts since 28 Sep, 2012

Re: Softube Modular

Post Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:27 pm

cthonophonic wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:06 pm
perpetual3 wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 3:42 pm
perpetual3 wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 3:39 pm
With Softube Modular, does anybody know how to control the pitch of the heartbeat 808ish drum module (called kick)? Note cv into the pitch input of the module doesn’t snap to scale, so to traverse an octave in Modular requires traversing something like 8 octaves on a keyboard.
Any ideas?
The tuning range of the Kick module is only about 7 semitones, from around D#2 to A#2. It's not a constant tone, but the pitches fall roughly in that range.

If you run your note CV through an offset, then scale it up using a CV mix, you should be able to control the pitch (within the narrow range the module allows) using a note CV. I tried around +0.75 for the offset and 16x for the scale (4x on the input and 4x on the output) and got reasonably close. This was with the pitch control of the kick turned down to the lowest setting.
THANK YOU!!

User avatar
cthonophonic
KVRist
309 posts since 1 Jan, 2018

Re: Softube Modular

Post Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:14 pm

perpetual3 wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:27 pm
THANK YOU!!
No problem! :tu:

Angle Loss
KVRist
81 posts since 3 Jan, 2012

Re: Softube Modular

Post Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:05 pm

Just got Softube Modular and am enjoying it. I'm glad they also allow it to be used as an effects processor. I like to use Rings or Clouds on different sound sources.

Since I haven't followed it, how often do they add modules? My only complaint is that there aren't many modules, especially compared to VCV Rack (which doesn't have DAW integration yet).

User avatar
cthonophonic
KVRist
309 posts since 1 Jan, 2018

Re: Softube Modular

Post Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:03 pm

In the past year, they've added Clouds, Braids, Rings, the Doepfer BBD, the Buchla 296e and two free modules: the quantizer and ring modulator.

Mushy Mushy
KVRAF
11783 posts since 7 Sep, 2008

Re: Softube Modular

Post Sun Jul 07, 2019 4:15 am

Apart from Clouds are there any modules that allow pitch change? +/- 2 octaves would be ideal.

Essentially I’m looking to feed it a drone and modulate pitch.
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

Mushy Mushy
KVRAF
11783 posts since 7 Sep, 2008

Re: Softube Modular

Post Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:54 am

Mushy Mushy wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 4:15 am
Apart from Clouds are there any modules that allow pitch change? +/- 2 octaves would be ideal.

Essentially I’m looking to feed it a drone and modulate pitch.
I had a look through all the modules last night and couldn’t see anything. Bit of a shame really.

Especially when the Softube blurb says the only limit is my imagination :x
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

Return to “Instruments”