donkeyt - the road down to the sea - trip hop/indie rokk..mebbe..

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Trundling on in between watching the cricket...

Another long one (you can quote me if you so desire..) missus. Singing appears to be quite 'Yarkshur at the start in parts :scared: . Some 'Faith' era Cure stylee Bass VI action (in Fiesta Red, not pink), Ostentatious 808 kick (Massive who?), sinthesiser bass, 12 string acoustics (both of the bastards), strings, and as a nice change a bit of Les Paul/Marshall action (ok, Variax, Marshall type amp sims) as opposed to Telecaster/Fender amp type stuff. How very 'rockist' of one. :hihi:

EDIT - newer version with more 303 stylee sinthesiser bass;

http://www.bennyleeds7.myfreeola.uk/don ... sea-v2.mp3

Usual caveats- tinkering will need to be done in large quantities.
Last edited by donkey tugger on Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

My Feedback

Music - 9.5
Instruments - 9.5
Performance - 10
Mix - 9

Overall - 9.5

Comments: Yay, another DT track. Love the way the arrangement builds and falls and builds and falls. Another winner. Mix needs some tweaking but not much.

its as pink as your avatar :lol:

literally cannot hear any bass at all until the sinf bass comes in, and i didnt like that, didnt suit the song (which i did like)

hi hats could do with some swing

wagtunes wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:23 pm My Feedback

Music - 9.5
Instruments - 9.5
Performance - 10
Mix - 9

Overall - 9.5

Comments: Yay, another DT track. Love the way the arrangement builds and falls and builds and falls. Another winner. Mix needs some tweaking but not much.
Cheers. Any suggestions. I'll leave it a couple of days then come back and tweak stuff..

vurt wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:25 pm its as pink as your avatar :lol:
Tossoh. :x

AnX wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:57 pm literally cannot hear any bass at all until the sinf bass comes in, and i didnt like that, didnt suit the song (which i did like)

That's because I'm playing it more as a baritone type geetar..Weird hybrid thing the bass vi;

https://www.fender.com/articles/gear/th ... s-all-epic

You can play it as a normal bass, but that sort of defeats the object (got other 'proper' basses for that malarky) - the fun is playing chords on it up the neck in the Bob Smith manner. Given me an idea though - might do some automation and have more bass frequencies in the start bit, then cut them when all the rest of the bizzle comes in. Oh, and I can do a mean Lemmy style version of 'Wasteland' on it.. :hihi:

Hehe, I like the sinthesiser bass -it stays! :P

Do like the idea of more swing on the hi-hats though. There is a fair amount on the drums overall, but think the hi-hats will take some more. Nice one.

donkey tugger wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:59 pm
wagtunes wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:23 pm My Feedback

Music - 9.5
Instruments - 9.5
Performance - 10
Mix - 9

Overall - 9.5

Cheers. Any suggestions. I'll leave it a couple of days then come back and tweak stuff..
You're asking ME for suggestions? :lol: You're funny DT.

I don't know. Something about the mix sounds like it could maybe use a little more air. There are parts that just sound a touch on the dull side. But so slight that it's really not worth driving yourself crazy over. Maybe work on the stereo field a little. That might do it. Like I said, it's really minor.

your songwriting never fails to floor me ...

i'm leaning w/ dave on that bass ...
the synth approach and gating worked for me , but not the patch ...

i'd bring the vocals up a tad , and if you feel up to a retake ,
a few drams beforehand would not go amiss , as you belt out the ending ...

excellent work ...

Yep,excellent work indeed. Love it! Everything is good.Those drums are just looovely.You are massively talented. Another one to the list of tracks that are the best I have heard on here (and in many other places) This would fit well in a Shane Meadows Drama/Movie.
Another listen...
The inner workings of vurts mind are a force to be reckoned with.
music is a need in my life...yes I could survive without it but tbh I dont know how
myfeebleeffort
https://paulroach2.bandcamp.com/
https://hearthis.at/83hdtrvm/

Definitely one of your best!!! It plays out really good from the subdued start - you did a really great job arranging on this one from beginning to end. The loud/quiet approach really suits the song - sometimes that feels a bit overused, but you make all those transitions really well.

Got to agree with others on the synth bass though - it's just not the right sound - maybe needs to be something with a harder (missus!) sound to it? I wouldn't replace that bass part though, just tweak the sound of it.

:tu:

donkey tugger wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:02 pm
AnX wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:57 pm literally cannot hear any bass at all until the sinf bass comes in, and i didnt like that, didnt suit the song (which i did like)

That's because I'm playing it more as a baritone type geetar..Weird hybrid thing the bass vi;

https://www.fender.com/articles/gear/th ... s-all-epic

You can play it as a normal bass, but that sort of defeats the object (got other 'proper' basses for that malarky) - the fun is playing chords on it up the neck in the Bob Smith manner. Given me an idea though - might do some automation and have more bass frequencies in the start bit, then cut them when all the rest of the bizzle comes in. Oh, and I can do a mean Lemmy style version of 'Wasteland' on it.. :hihi:

Hehe, I like the sinthesiser bass -it stays! :P

Do like the idea of more swing on the hi-hats though. There is a fair amount on the drums overall, but think the hi-hats will take some more. Nice one.
fair enough, i just think playing it an octave higher, an opening the filter on the syn bass means its lacking bottem end imo

i think for that particular track, a nice low drone bass might suit it better :shrug:

experimental.crow wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:27 pm your songwriting never fails to floor me ...

i'm leaning w/ dave on that bass ...
the synth approach and gating worked for me , but not the patch ...

i'd bring the vocals up a tad , and if you feel up to a retake ,
a few drams beforehand would not go amiss , as you belt out the ending ...

excellent work ...
See above - new version with a more slightly 'aceed' bass sound. If I can just get Tracely Thorn to do it as a duet....

One seldom drinks these days.. :cry: Next Thursday going out after work, we'll see.. :scared:

jethrobull wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:26 am Yep,excellent work indeed. Love it! Everything is good.Those drums are just looovely.You are massively talented. Another one to the list of tracks that are the best I have heard on here (and in many other places) This would fit well in a Shane Meadows Drama/Movie.
Another listen...
Thank you sir!

Forgotten wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:38 am Definitely one of your best!!! It plays out really good from the subdued start - you did a really great job arranging on this one from beginning to end. The loud/quiet approach really suits the song - sometimes that feels a bit overused, but you make all those transitions really well.

Got to agree with others on the synth bass though - it's just not the right sound - maybe needs to be something with a harder (missus!) sound to it? I wouldn't replace that bass part though, just tweak the sound of it.

:tu:
See what you think of the newer version with NI Monark (Weaktoh eh? How fathinating!) I think I do prefer it now.. :hihi: Vocals also up a bit and a bit more swing on th'i-hats.

Return to “Music Cafe”