What’s the best sample piano

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I’ve tried a few of them and the best I’ve found is east west piainos gold ? Thoughts ?

It depends.

What kind of pianos do you like?

TVBO from Sampletekk. Probably the most highly-sampled piano you'll find. 33 velocity layers per key, if I remember correctly. The new version lets you pick from two different mics, built-in reverb, MIDI compression, and such. It's always been my favorite. There was a walk-thru posted just the other day.

https://youtu.be/6rRf598R2f8

for a grand piano, the Yamaha CFX by VSL in their Synchron Stage, or if you like more brilliant their Synchron Steinway.

'the most highly-sampled you'll find', I tend to doubt that. up to 4200 per key in the Yamaha.

jancivil wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 5:01 am'the most highly-sampled you'll find', I tend to doubt that. up to 4200 per key in the Yamaha.
Wow! You're right. Very impressive.

it takes up an awful lot of space. I really like the Synchron Stage mixing paradigm, you can turn that piano into anything right there inside the one plugin.

Wow! I though 1200 samples per key (https://www.vsl.co.at/en/Keyboards_Comp ... a_Imperial) was insane/excessive, but 4200 (almost four times more) takes the cake.

For my own answer, I think Embertone's VST (https://www.embertone.com/instruments/concertD.php) based on a Steinway piano is almost universally well-regarded, but there may be better ones out there.

jancivil wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 5:01 am'the most highly-sampled you'll find', I tend to doubt that. up to 4200 per key in the Yamaha.
There are only 131,072 available sample zones in a Kontakt instrument. If evenly distributed across an 88-key piano, that's "only" about 1,489 possible samples per key. Obviously, many of the keys are getting far less than 4,200 samples devoted to them. I wonder how they distributed the samples across the keyboard, and how do they decide which keys should have more samples and which keys should have fewer?
I'm involved with photography & audio. For more info, take a look at my site:
GlenVision.com

VSL doesn't use Kontakt. There are other samplers, you know.

what are the 4200 samples grouped as... its obvs not just velocity.... round robin, damped, sustain.... must be more categories than that

be interested to know

yellowmix wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:34 am VSL doesn't use Kontakt. There are other samplers, you know.
Oops. :D
I'm involved with photography & audio. For more info, take a look at my site:
GlenVision.com

AnX wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:40 am what are the 4200 samples grouped as... its obvs not just velocity.... round robin, damped, sustain.... must be more categories than that
Same. Would be cool if they recorded note combinations for sympathetic resonance. Think about how many combinations of notes that would involve!

Some of the most amazingly impressive when auditioned are the worst to make fit in a track. And sometimes a really incredibly responsive and satisfying piano simply has less mojo than the cheaper one. Mojoless excellent piano < less excellent piano with mojo.

It really depends on what you expect a piano to sound like. Every pianist has a preference for the sound of the piano they play, so there is not going to be a single 'best' piano that everyone agrees on.

Return to “Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries”