Native Instruments Massive X Synth - Sequel to Massive (Out Now!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Massive Massive X X-Squared For Massive X

I just hope it has some presets that have a cpu load under 50%, the vid I saw on YT from Superbooth showed it wavering between 12 and 32 while sitting on the screen with no sound being played.

Super 8, and reaktor blocks are wow good, cannot even imagine how good massive x will be..

Man, NI had better be bringing out the big guns on this. Hive 2, Pigments, Phase Plant, MSoundFactory are all killing it. I wish they had kept at least some of the visual queues from Massive. This new thing just looks like some damn Reaktor blocks. Couldn't even be bothered to use the Massive logo and blue/gray color?

People who are worried about lack of hype: this was discussed earlier in this thread and apparently it might have something to do with them advertising Massive X for Komplete 12. And people didn't get Massive X when they bought Komplete 12 initially because it wasn't finished. So unlike someone like Jean Murray, I guess they decided that they can't hype it anymore (in order to avoid potential PR issues).

I hate the colors of Massive :hihi:

jancivil wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 2:10 am I hate the colors of Massive :hihi:
If I remember correctly, it was pretty much the first piece of software NI created with the newer kind of interface. Compared to the other software that followed, it has a kind of rough edge to it.

Not sure if the colors offend me greatly, but I can't say I've ever thought of the interface as esthetically pleasing.

Massive may not be super pretty but honestly around that time, as far as I can recall, it was miles ahead compared to its peers such as reFX Vanguard (although I guess someone might say that Sylenth1 looks better, but I didn't like how Sylenth1 looked). In fact, if we're being honest, I think Massive actually taught me a lot about synths because of how everything was visually displayed so clearly, from mod rings to LFO waveforms, envelope shapes etc. And because of how easily you could assign things from here to there, you started doing that and exploring the possibilities. Also, thanks to the routing section, that taught me actually a lot about signal flow.

All of this seems really trivial stuff after the fact, but back then honestly these were great lessons and helped me a lot unlike YouTube tutorials which didn't really explain all that much. They just showed you how to make a supersaw without really explaining why, for example, you'd use a sawtooth waveform in particular or why you would detune each oscillator or use unison.

I loved Massive for the same reason I like Serum today: Half the tutorials on the internet use/used it. Back when I wanted to make wub wub dubstep, it was the only game in town. For real though, one of the reasons Massive was so insanely popular was because it was easy for the script kiddos to crack it.

I'm not certain *any* synth can claim that throne from Serum these days, regardless of how good it is.

Come on guys - it's already the 27th in some places, and we've got a long way to go to hit 200 pages still... :hihi:

Googling "Serum Synth Tutorial" (without quotation marks) yields "About 179 000 results", googling "Massive Synth tutorial" yields "About 518 000 results". Of course, the comparison is unfair because Serum is younger than Massive. But even when you go to google trends and look at it, "Serum Synth" is actually bit below compared to "Massive Synth", although in both cases sample sizes are quite small with less than 100 monthly searches. Latest sample of Serum indicates to reach 100 though, but it comes with an exceptional caveat that the data is imperfect (whatever that means). Also, Massive VST and Serum VST produce similar results: Massive is slightly more popular.

So really, Serum hasn't even toppled Massive. Both "Serum Tutorial" and "Massive Tutorial" yield quite similar results, I just wouldn't trust these too much because there's likely bit of background noise since some of the data probably comes from people who searched for something else than the synths.

Of course due to small samples, I wouldn't trust these too much so it's not necessarily that Serum isn't more popular than Massive but it doesn't seem like it's really that much more popular either even under best assumptions.

Also, you'll often find that it doesn't matter what the synth tutorial is made in particular for since in most cases it can be easily replicated in multitude of other synths. In fact, doing it with another synth often makes sense because that way it can have some different characteristics. For example, if you do that "hard trap lead" with Serum that uses the "reverb filter", it'll sound pretty much always the same thing. Although you can't really easily replicate that elsewhere either (because 99% of the sound comes from that one filter), it'll also sound just generic hard trap if you're going to use that particular sound. It can still be valuable as an educational tool, I guess.
Last edited by Functional on Thu Jun 27, 2019 3:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Forgotten wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 3:08 am Come on guys - it's already the 27th in some places, and we've got a long way to go to hit 200 pages still... :hihi:
I've got a task for you: tell the story of your whole life as you can remember it but with only one word per post. If we won't reach 200 pages by the time you've finished it, well, that's something for you to reflect upon

Hexfix93 wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 1:24 am Super 8, and reaktor blocks are wow good, cannot even imagine how good massive x will be..
Yes, NI has really learned a lot over the last decade or so.

Functional wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 3:21 am So really, Serum hasn't even toppled Massive. Both "Serum Tutorial" and "Massive Tutorial" yield quite similar results, I just wouldn't trust these too much because there's likely bit of background noise since some of the data probably comes from people who searched for something else than the synths.
Those results are also going to be skewed owing to use cases. Like I said earlier, I use Massive a lot more these days primarily because it is featured so heavily in Maschine presets. None of those sounds, in my case, have anything to do with anything remotely rub-a-dub-wub sounding.

In any case, aren't we talking about a subset of the synth population that also likes Sylenth? There's no accounting for taste.

What's a Massive?

Forgotten wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 3:08 am Come on guys - it's already the 27th in some places, and we've got a long way to go to hit 200 pages still... :hihi:
ugh, fine, guess I'll make an account after a few dozen pages of lurking in this thread and contribute to the page bloat as best I can.

so, umm how great is Massive? Really cool that there's a new one that will replace the old Massive and run in Reaktor. The extra click is objectively great. Also such a shame that all my old Massive presets won't work anymore. It's fine though, everything that Native Instruments puts out is better than everything else on the market and Serum is overrated. I wonder if they'll push back the release date again at the last minute?

Return to “Instruments”