Wavetable Blowout: Massive X vs Avenger vs Serum vs Icarus vs Pigments...

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic

Coda4 wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 9:31 pm I see, thanks. Good points.
Also, for Rapid I understand that you can load and import a sample and use it as a sound source? Like could I import a .wav to use as a sound source?

I was thinking these 2 could work well together: DUNE for the more VA, subtractive stuff, and Rapid for evolving wavetable sounds
Yes. I forgot. It's a full sampler. I haven't explored that area a lot, but definitely could use a .wav as a sound source.

I agree that they would work well together. I hear that Dune has a nice wt editor. So you could probably make wt in dune and use them in rapid.

jeffb01 wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 9:33 pm
Coda4 wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 9:31 pm I see, thanks. Good points.
Also, for Rapid I understand that you can load and import a sample and use it as a sound source? Like could I import a .wav to use as a sound source?

I was thinking these 2 could work well together: DUNE for the more VA, subtractive stuff, and Rapid for evolving wavetable sounds
Yes. I forgot. It's a full sampler. I haven't explored that area a lot, but definitely could use a .wav as a sound source.

I agree that they would work well together. I hear that Dune has a nice wt editor. So you could probably make wt in dune and use them in rapid.
Nice. Yeah can get pretty indepth with the WT editing in dune. Can load up and edit up to 200 individual waveforms

Have you had any chance to look into cpu use yet jeff?

buzz1 wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:57 am Have you had any chance to look into cpu use yet jeff?
Yes, I added it to the op - at the end. They all did pretty good except Pigments.

Got it. That's really useful. Thanks.
Out of interest, Can I ask which of the processor models is your mini?

buzz1 wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 11:45 am Got it. That's really useful. Thanks.
Out of interest, Can I ask which of the processor models is your mini?
Sure. 2.3 GHz Intel Core i7 with 16 GB of RAM.

Last edited by Vortifex on Mon May 17, 2021 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The surprise cpu synth seems to be Serum. No worse the the others really and clearly better than Pigments. Strange....

buzz1 wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 1:48 pm The surprise cpu synth seems to be Serum. No worse the the others really and clearly better than Pigments. Strange....
Yeah. The CPU test had lots of surprises. Thank you for the idea. Maybe I should have a control group in case all those synths are higher in CPU, but I don't think people agree on a low CPU synth. A lot of people say sylenth is a low CPU synth - does it have 6x unison? I could probably download the demo.

jeffb01 wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 2:46 pm
buzz1 wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 1:48 pm The surprise cpu synth seems to be Serum. No worse the the others really and clearly better than Pigments. Strange....
Yeah. The CPU test had lots of surprises. Thank you for the idea. Maybe I should have a control group in case all those synths are higher in CPU, but I don't think people agree on a low CPU synth. A lot of people say sylenth is a low CPU synth - does it have 6x unison? I could probably download the demo.
O Sylenth would be hard to beat when it comes to CPU usage.

Yes more than 6x Unison.
www.solostuff.net
Advice is heavy. So don’t send it like a mountain.

Yes, cpu use is as much about the density/complexity of a patch as it is about the plug in itself. That's why your test on a fairly even baseline was useful.

S0lo wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 3:40 pm

Yes more than 6x Unison.
Thing is there are two different levels of unison. Either just osc waveforms with Sylenth and others or entire patches on ,say, Massive x. I imagine the latter is the more cpu intensive.

buzz1 wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 3:56 pm

Yes more than 6x Unison.
Thing is there are two different levels of unison. Either just osc waveforms with Sylenth and others or entire patches on ,say, Massive x. I imagine the latter is the more cpu intensive.
MX uses AVX, so the CPU hit is much less intensive.

buzz1 wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 3:56 pm

Yes more than 6x Unison.
Really? I would think the osc one would use more cpu because if you had two oscs going, it would be two unisons. That's why I used just one oscillator - I figured it would be more even that way. Any developers have insight?

edit for perpetual3: that AVX seems to really help - as long as your machine can run it.
Last edited by jeffb01 on Sun Jul 07, 2019 4:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Just wanted to say - this is a very useful thread.
And kudos to Fathom's post.

Return to “Instruments”