Studio One 4 v Reaper Comparison

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

So you guys haven't seen this thread, maybe? https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=220236

A test thread for the new GUI is no reason for V6 to be released anytime soon...

V5 alpha/beta circle took more than 1 year and except this GUI thread there is no indicator at all that any test version of V6 will arrive soon...
Atm the updates go in 0.01 steps which is perhaps intended to give the devs any time they like till a new major version...

Don´t hold your breath on any soon appearance of V6 I would say...

It's funny to me. Back in the day, Reaper releases were fast and furious. Maybe it's just me, but I feel that pace is a snails crawl in comparison.

Downloading S1 demo
:o
:ud:

It's pretty effing cool. The only thing is that midi is still not as tight as cubase or reason.

From what I've heard, Cubase seems to be the reference in terms of articulation management

reggie1979 wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 8:24 pm It's pretty effing cool. The only thing is that midi is still not as tight as cubase or reason.
No problem over here with stud.1 midi , be it controlling plugs or hardware :tu:
I never knew reason midi timing was considered tight :lol:

Studio one is ace
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

gentleclockdivider wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:30 pm
reggie1979 wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 8:24 pm It's pretty effing cool. The only thing is that midi is still not as tight as cubase or reason.
No problem over here with stud.1 midi , be it controlling plugs or hardware :tu:
I never knew reason midi timing was considered tight :lol:

Studio one is ace
I still had missed notes with S1 when I used it (4.x) so I'm just saying. Glad it works for you!

No midi events list in S1 ?

noppes
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

dupont wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:46 am
No midi events list in S1 ?
An editable event list in Studio One would be great.
Is there a plugin or the upcoming Architect that can have editable event list?

Edit: added graphical
Graphical editable event list in Studio One would be great.
Last edited by Kalamata Kid on Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

So far I'm positively impressed with S1. My only important problem so far is the inability to rename notes in the piano roll (not drum map). Renaming makes working with articulation key switches a lot easier

I did it, I bought the crossgrade license while it was on sale. I've been learning S1 furiously during the last two weeks (?) and the transition is (almost) complete. I love it. My only issue is that you can't name notes in the piano roll. So I use the drum editor, which lets you hide undefined notes--very handy, but not ideal. OTOH, if I ever use the chord track to reharmonize a song (unlikely, I think, but never say never), my articulations won't be messed up with.
I would say the other thing I miss from Reaper is the ability to route anything anywhere, but that's alright. (In Reaper I could side chain two plugins in the same track! The only application I had for that was Melda's auto gain controller).

I just keep coming back to this thread. S1 comes with Melodyne essential, everybody knows that. However, in S1 you can export the MIDI from Melodyne, which you can't do with the Essential edition in other DAWs AFAIK. You can also detect chords from audio and transpose the audio or change the chord (although I don't imagine the result would sound professional), even though the essential edition is monophonic. Man, I'm a convert.

monomox wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 9:11 pm From what I've heard, Cubase seems to be the reference in terms of articulation management
I think Cubase is the reference for almost anything midi related.

Studio One needs MPE, better NI Kontrol integration and for me track templates. Also, somd ability to push and pull events in the step editor so it feels mode complete.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”