One Synth Challenge #124: MSoundFactory by MeldaProduction (Schiing Wins!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

David wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 7:43 pm
exponent1 wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 6:55 pm
David wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:24 am OK, PeterH, you suggested I do this, so here I am:

https://soundcloud.com/david-coffin/pip ... -passes-by

I recorded myself noodling around in MSF using patches entirely of my own devising (though the piper's pipe was derived from a sweet MSF factory patch), used no samples (the drum sounds are from the drum synth out of MDrummer), nor any FX not included in MSF, then layered four of the recordings, with some chopping, fading, and a very little region looping.

Was inspired by a well-known painting by Paul Klee called Twittering Machine.
Hi David, just for clarification, by chopping do you mean chopping the audio render or MIDI data?
The audio… Is that a problem? I created the whole thing by recording audio in realtime, then assembling/layering these files in Logic, sometimes deleting, sometimes looping. Nothing was created outside of MSF.
Typically audio manipulation by chopping frozen audio is against OSC rules. You're allowed to freeze whole tracks and not use sections/chops of audio.
No use of samples, sample libraries or live sounds (like voice, guitar etc allowed). However, for convenience or CPU saving,
synth bouncing are allowed but only where the EXACT same result could have been achieved using
the original synth. This means that for example pitching and reversing is not allowed. Sampling for example
a bass drum in order to get a consistent sound is not allowed either. Samplers used must be host samplers or freeware and easily available.
More Clarification: Audio must not be touched at all once it leaves the DAW (aka after bouncing a track or a stem). For example: One cannot master the audio in another software or service. Also, If you need more performance / CPU a workaround is to freeze all the tracks.
https://sites.google.com/site/kvrosc/rules

But the decision is upto Richard Semper and BJ Porter.

All I did was use a system audio recording utility to capture MSF's output, then dragged these files back into Logic for arrangement; it's just faster IMExperience, than bouncing/freezing, as I had no need to record the MIDI initially, as I knew I wouldn't be editing any MIDI. As I said before, there's nothing in my entry that didn't come exclusively from MSF, and absolutely no FX processing was done with anything except MSF, but if the way I captured that disqualifies my entry, so be it; not much interested in the OSC Process/Rules if they exclude real-time, live audio recording from plugins.
Last edited by David on Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The main reason for those rules (I think) is that we like to have proof that the sounds can come straight out of the synth. With recorded audio, you can't see what processing might have happened before the recording.
It's a little nitpicky but accountability is important. I personally don't mind, unless you hop in with such wild sound design that I absolutely can't believe it's within rules.
If you could record the MIDI and process it as such you'd be able to defend your case. Not super important if you aren't concerned with ranking, but I personally like it when everybody follows the rules.
mostly here for the One Synth Challenge
you can hear some of my newest music at: https://wrenharmonic.bandcamp.com/ or https://www.youtube.com/@wrenharmonic

Well, voting was almost harder than decisions I made in making my track. Good stuff all.
Doing nothing is only fun when you have something you are supposed to do.

Leonard Bowman wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:12 pm The main reason for those rules (I think) is that we like to have proof that the sounds can come straight out of the synth. With recorded audio, you can't see what processing might have happened before the recording.
It's a little nitpicky but accountability is important. I personally don't mind, unless you hop in with such wild sound design that I absolutely can't believe it's within rules.
If you could record the MIDI and process it as such you'd be able to defend your case. Not super important if you aren't concerned with ranking, but I personally like it when everybody follows the rules.
Sure; I'm not critiquing the rules, or the game build on them that you guys are obviously enjoying:) Play on, and have fun!

The rules do seem to be built around, and to assume, processes I don't much exploit, so I guess it's not intended for folks who work as I do, no problem. I wasn't here to be "ranked", but I guess I did have a bit of a case to offer, if not defend:

MSF seems a device almost intentionally created to be beyond the rules here, since it's every bit as much a processing device as a "synth", even without the sampling functions being ready yet. For example, the "twittering" sounds in my track should be outside the rules since they're basically "scratched", but MSF includes a fantastically versatile scratching effect: MRhythmizer—so as I read the rules, they're OK.

Besides all the other built-in Melda FX, there's hardly an effect one can imagine that MXXX isn't capable of, and it's all part of MSF, as is yet another synth, MPowerSynth, AND a drum machine (MDrummer). And as are the many tools that allow the analysis of user audio, like the convolvers, the WT oscs, the additive and LFO oscillators, the Modal filters, etc…

Still, if my submission breaks any rules, feel free to "scratch" it :)

Hi!

It's hard to vote for the first time, I really apreciated all the songs and all the work spent there. Basically, it was based on my own taste of music, the sound technical expertition and other composition arrangement interestings.
Good luck for all!

Cheers!
Last edited by tusca on Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

David wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:40 pm
Leonard Bowman wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:12 pm The main reason for those rules (I think) is that we like to have proof that the sounds can come straight out of the synth. With recorded audio, you can't see what processing might have happened before the recording.
Sure; I'm not critiquing the rules, or the game build on them that you guys are obviously enjoying:) Play on, and have fun!

The rules do seem to be built around, and to assume, processes I don't much exploit, so I guess it's not intended for folks who work as I do, no problem. I wasn't here to be "ranked", but I guess I did have a bit of a case to offer, if not defend:

MSF seems a device almost intentionally created to be beyond the rules here, since it's every bit as much a processing device as a "synth", even without the sampling functions being ready yet. For example, the "twittering" sounds in my track should be outside the rules since they're basically "scratched", but MSF includes a fantastically versatile scratching effect: MRhythmizer—so as I read the rules, they're OK.

Besides all the other built-in Melda FX, there's hardly an effect one can imagine that MXXX isn't capable of, and it's all part of MSF, as is yet another synth, MPowerSynth, AND a drum machine (MDrummer). And as are the many tools that allow the analysis of user audio, like the convolvers, the WT oscs, the additive and LFO oscillators, the Modal filters, etc…

Still, if my submission breaks any rules, feel free to "scratch" it :)
Don't get me wrong David. I understand what you've done for your track is not a violation of the rules in the way they are originally intended. But just something to be aware of, that's all. :tu:

Very interesting piece from you, quite esoteric and wild! It was a great listen. Cheers to making music! :hug:

Got it…thank you!

voted! greets to all for your works!

I have my votes in.
Well done, all of you, and I hope to hear more from y'all in the future.
mostly here for the One Synth Challenge
you can hear some of my newest music at: https://wrenharmonic.bandcamp.com/ or https://www.youtube.com/@wrenharmonic

Voting completed

Great listening to all the pieces this month.
Time to start the process again; synth, vote, repeat.

Voted - lots of interesting variety, thanks all.

Voted.
(Note: once again, some pieces weren´t downloadable, contrary the OSC rules say. E.g. one of the best tracks in this round, in my opinion, Inversion Of Control by Fungi, missed that.)

I have voted!
All Ted Mountainé's Songs on Spotify | Soundcloud | Twitter | His Latest Videos
The Byte Hop, the virtual home of Ted Mountainé – news as they might have happened.

Harry_HH wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 11:35 am Voted.
(Note: once again, some pieces weren´t downloadable, contrary the OSC rules say. E.g. one of the best tracks in this round, in my opinion, Inversion Of Control by Fungi, missed that.)
Yeah, I had to reupload my song and forgot to enable download on newer track

Return to “Instruments”