The Fourth of July

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

"The Fourth of July: the emotional turning point of summer in North America"

Another concept piece performed by Cubic Audio's Ascension virtual instrument along with Addictive Drums 2 laying down the beat.

I composed it during the long Fourth of July weekend shortly after binge-watching season three of "Stranger Things" on Netflix.

It is written in C Lydian Sharp 6 with a short excursion into G Major for the bridge.

https://soundcloud.com/tonedef71/the-fourth-of-july
[Core i7 8700 | 32GB DDR4 | Win11 x64 | Studio One 6 Pro | FL Studio ASIO/WASAPI ]

Liked the fireworks at the end, nice touch.
Interesting to hear something unique.
Little too much distortion/saturation 0:20 > for me.

It starts warm and nostalgic. Then the off kilter drums come in and it becomes a bit awkward.

The synthetic fireworks and militaristic snare rolls make for an amusing sound painting.

Thank you for the candid feedback. It is always interesting to hear the initial impressions from other folks about what works and what does not. :tu:
Bansaw wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 11:37 pm Liked the fireworks at the end, nice touch.
Interesting to hear something unique.
Little too much distortion/saturation 0:20 > for me.
Regarding the saturation, I did not really notice it on the cans I mixed with. I probably should have rolled off some of the high end. I wonder if something like that is best smoothed out during the mixing stage, or better left to the mastering process.
Frantz wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:31 am It starts warm and nostalgic. Then the off kilter drums come in and it becomes a bit awkward.

The synthetic fireworks and militaristic snare rolls make for an amusing sound painting.
At what point do the drums sound out of whack: right from the very start (because they are wrong for the track), or at a certain moments in the track (more breakdowns needed)?

Originally, the track was devoid of drums with the exception of the snare roll cadence at the end. I added the organic drum kit parts to give the track more propulsion and to provide a better sense of transition between the parts.
[Core i7 8700 | 32GB DDR4 | Win11 x64 | Studio One 6 Pro | FL Studio ASIO/WASAPI ]

tonedef71 wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:05 pm At what point do the drums sound out of whack: right from the very start (because they are wrong for the track), or at a certain moments in the track
Things first sound strange at 0:38. Perhaps the bass line and drums are not meshing?

Frantz wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 4:13 pm
tonedef71 wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:05 pm At what point do the drums sound out of whack: right from the very start (because they are wrong for the track), or at a certain moments in the track
Things first sound strange at 0:38. Perhaps the bass line and drums are not meshing?
Hmm... I'm not sure. I thought I had heard something sound a bit off at 0:45, but it was gone on subsequent playback. I think that streaming playback via the internet may suffer from inconsistency at times. :shrug:

Return to “Music Cafe”