FLS: How do you load multiple VSTi in a channel?

Official support for: image-line.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I've dabbled with several DAWs and always ignored FLS because I run Linux, but I decided to give it a try this week. I find the workflow on FLS quite different from what I'm used to see, there is quite a lot I have to "un-learn" and there is one thing about it that I really can't figure out on my own: how do you load multiple VSTi in a channel?

Situation #1: I have a sequencer, arpeggiator or any kind of generator that produces notes and is supposed to feed them into an instrument. In other DAWs, you just lay them into the channel in the correct order and they all work in tandem.

Situation #2: I have two or more VSTi that I want to be played at the same time according to one single MIDI track.

How do you achieve that in FLS?

BTW, when adding effects to a channel, I know that Bitwig will let you decide whether the effects are applied in a chain sequence or all at the same time. Is there such a thing on FLS?

Welcome aboard mate!

Indeed the workflow in FLS is unique and somehow different than other DAWs, but once things cleared out, you'll find it so much sensible.

Mainly the FLS has a separate path for the midi as well as a separate path for the audio.

I'm sure you're aware of the audio signal path and how you can link up an instrument to a mixer channel.

But for the midi routing, especially with the 3d party plugins, you'll need to set up the (wrapper) or the container of the plugins, and set the midi in and out channels to allow 2 or more plugins to communicate to each other.

That's done on the (channel rack) where the instruments, samples and plugins settle.

The manual below, scroll down to point (7. Plugin wrapper settings) and read about (• MIDI)

https://www.image-line.com/support/flst ... ne_manual/

Edit as redundant to above.
(Slow pecking on the phone :D )

lmv wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:43 pm I've dabbled with several DAWs and always ignored FLS because I run Linux, but I decided to give it a try this week. I find the workflow on FLS quite different from what I'm used to see, there is quite a lot I have to "un-learn" and there is one thing about it that I really can't figure out on my own: how do you load multiple VSTi in a channel?

Situation #1: I have a sequencer, arpeggiator or any kind of generator that produces notes and is supposed to feed them into an instrument. In other DAWs, you just lay them into the channel in the correct order and they all work in tandem.

Situation #2: I have two or more VSTi that I want to be played at the same time according to one single MIDI track.

How do you achieve that in FLS?

BTW, when adding effects to a channel, I know that Bitwig will let you decide whether the effects are applied in a chain sequence or all at the same time. Is there such a thing on FLS?
There is, and it is also the solution to your other question. You'll want to look at Patcher. There are other methods to control multiple plugins from one piano roll (MIDI Out and Fruity Layer) but Patcher is the most convenient and powerful.

https://www.image-line.com/support/flst ... atcher.htm

NTO wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 2:42 pm Edit as redundant to above.
(Slow pecking on the phone :D )
I appreciate everyone's interest and effort, NTO. Thank you to you all. I will test all of these suggestions on FLS later at night.

Return to “Image Line”