Why so little respect for the synthetic "instruments" we're creating?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

technical death metal

I like 'technical death' tho

Vectorman wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:05 pm
Ed A. wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:55 am
Vectorman wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:32 am
zerocrossing wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:23 pm
Ed A. wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:07 pm Or it could be that having forty keyboards and synths on a riser over the drummer was looking just a bit ridiculous to people.

Uh... I see zero wrong with that picture. :love:
I guess the pic is useful for illustrative purposes, but I don't think Asia had much do to with the decline of prog, since prog's heyday was already largely past by the time they arrived on the scene in 1982. Asia really leaned more towards pop than prog despite its members' histories.

(Interestingly, despite all the talk of prog being a dead genre, Steven Wilson has somehow managed to have two gold records and a #3 album in the UK in the last few years, becoming a multi-millionaire by releasing albums full of...progressive rock.)
Steven who? :lol: :wink:
You could start listing artists who are the bigger names in club genres right now and that would probably be my answer for most of them too. "Who?" But then I've never really been into club/dance music as you are clearly not so much into progressive/conceptual rock. :wink:
I’m not into club/dance music at all. I was a proghead back in the seventies, but I couldn’t care less about “modern” prog. IMO, prog peaked forty-five years ago.

Ed A. wrote:I was a proghead back in the seventies, but I couldn’t care less about “modern” prog. IMO, prog peaked forty-five years ago.
For it to be progressive, it has to show progress over what came before - that was the point of using the term 'progressive' in the late 60s/early 70s. Nothing called 'prog' now is a progression from before - it's just the same stuff rehashed.

Forgotten wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:07 pm
Ed A. wrote:I was a proghead back in the seventies, but I couldn’t care less about “modern” prog. IMO, prog peaked forty-five years ago.
For it to be progressive, it has to show progress over what came before - that was the point of using the term 'progressive' in the late 60s/early 70s. Nothing called 'prog' now is a progression from before - it's just the same stuff rehashed.
radiohead?

vurt wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:11 pm
radiohead?
Have they ever been called prog?

Good point.

radiohead?
i thought we were talking about music?
I don't know what to write here that won't be censored, as I can only speak in profanity.

Forgotten wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:12 pm
radiohead?
I’m a Radiohead fan (at least from OK Computer on) and I wouldn’t consider them prog at all.

Forgotten wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:12 pm
radiohead?
dunno, not sure where else they could be put though really? they're hardly straight rock even if some of their singles head that way.

"post-rock" seems to be less electronic for the most part and more instrumental overall, so im not sure they fit there?

i could be wrong, just came to mind as a rock band doing something different.

but i dont really read music publications any more so dont know who gets called what.

Radiohead =
"post-alternative".
Although in many ways they remind me of the best/beatnik sound of the late 50s/early 60s... ;)
Nothing new under the sun...

Prog Rock had a very distinctive format. When you heard it, you knew what it was.

wagtunes wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:36 pm Prog Rock had a very distinctive format. When you heard it, you knew what it was.
usually dragons and elves and pixies n shit :hihi:

Prog Rock was also called classical rock (not to be confused with classic rock, which was still the blues based pentatonic thing worn thin.)
They specifically wanted to add elements, idioms and motifs of the masters. Where Gentle Giant differed was in saying "we'll see your classical and raise you our baroque". Which more or less made them a musician's musician band and not so much for the masses.

vurt wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:43 pm
wagtunes wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:36 pm Prog Rock had a very distinctive format. When you heard it, you knew what it was.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qAXzzHM8zLw

Ed A. wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:46 pm
vurt wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:43 pm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qAXzzHM8zLw
classic! :hihi:

Return to “Instruments”