Learning finger drumming with Melodics

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

shittytunes wrote:yeah right...

after a few days it basically nags you to pay 120 or f**k off, everytime

f**k this business model
Did you bother to read the web page you downloaded the app from?
melodica wrote:Free to download, including 60 free lessons to start building your rhythm, timing, and muscle memory immediately.
Then subscribe for unlimited access to premium lessons, including exclusive lessons from acclaimed artists.
Seems pretty clear ...

if i wanted an app which stops playing after 5 minutes i would have downloaded it

also, not 60 free lessons and almost everything is free to download..

If i wanted some drugs for free first time from a dealer i would have gotten it and naturally want some more

great for you that you payed for it..

shittytunes wrote:if i wanted an app which stops playing after 5 minutes i would have downloaded it

also, not 60 free lessons and almost everything is free to download..

If i wanted some drugs for free first time from a dealer i would have gotten it and naturally want some more

great for you that you payed for it..
I didn't ... and if you don't understand what you downloaded, that's on you. The relevant info is right there on the download page.

Lately I've tried to be more disciplined and dedicated to my melodics practice sessions and it's really been paying off...I've even found that my timing is a lot better at my keyboard improv -- don't even need to quantize most of the time. I've still got a ways to go though - still not that great at improvising very interesting drum beats -- something I might have to pick up more outside of melodics, studying beats and whatnot.

The only tip I can think of for complicated melodics beats, especially those with syncopation /off beat kicks - just what the other guy said - practice -- repetition - rinse and repeat. One thing that mucks me up big time is if I become too conscience of what I'm playing or think too much - really gotta zone out and become one with the beat or I start spazzing out ... I'm sure it'll become more second nature in time though.
Last edited by ZenEagle on Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Honestly, I think you would learn a lot more from investing $40 or $50 in a set of bongos. Play a bunch of music you like and play along - if you can start finding the groove from stuff you know, it becomes a lot easier to finger drum, and the bounce of the bongo skins and learning accuracy to get different sounds from each drum will really give you a good grounding in hand/finger drumming.

I’ve been wanting to give Melodics a try for ages, but I simply don’t consistently have enough free time to dedicate to it.

I suck at hand independence, but those times when I’ve successfully taught myself techniques which require it have always hinged on something I haven’t seen mentioned here: if you’re having trouble playing parts with differing rhythms in each hand, find the spot where you run into trouble, and keep practicing that one thing. In other words, train your hands and brain to play the two different motions as one single motion. That way, you won’t get confused trying to mentally keep track of the patterns, and will simply be performing memorized motions which your hands can execute without thought.
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

funky lime wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2016 11:17 pm Random, unorganized thoughts....

No problem there!

Forgotten wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:40 am Honestly, I think you would learn a lot more from investing $40 or $50 in a set of bongos.
I agree it's more of a challenge,

funky lime wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2016 11:17 pm

Tap your foot (along with your finger) for every kick drum hit. This can help get you thinking like a drummer, which can help for getting a more organic feel to your rhythms.
Excellent advice! been starting to integrate many of your tips into my practice sessions -- tapping feet with the beat has been particularly challenging, making me wish I had done that from the beginning -- It's almost like having to learn hand independence all over again. I'm sure it'll pay off in the long run though.

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”