Bitwig Studio 3 gets 10 out of 10 from MusicTech Review

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Bitwig Studio 5

Does anyone know whether

1) Bitwig 8 Track is on version 3? I have a license for 8 Track "1" and 8 Track "2" in my Bitwig account, but there is only the installer for the full Bitwig Studio 3. If I install Bitwig Studio 3 and try to authorize it with one of my 8 Track licenses, would that work?

2) Does Bitwig 8 Track have the grid, as well?

Thanks!

nostalgic wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:30 pm ...If their DAW is that great, it should speak for itself....
I am not here to set any DAW over another (not like you)... I just stumbled over your nonsense...

One question please... :D :
From your own logic, ...if Bitwig is that great, why do you think it cannot speak for itself and needs a self-appointed preacher ( which seems obviously to be you)?????? :pray:

Sorry peeps, I couldn´t resist... :hihi:

Identity crisis. Difference between the products grown in the original philosophy and the one plagiarized existing product.

Trancit wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:36 pm
nostalgic wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:30 pm ...If their DAW is that great, it should speak for itself....
I am not here to set any DAW over another (not like you)... I just stumbled over your nonsense...

One question please... :D :
From your own logic, ...if Bitwig is that great, why do you think it cannot speak for itself and needs a self-appointed preacher ( which seems obviously to be you)?????? :pray:

Sorry peeps, I couldn´t resist... :hihi:
Being able to love a host does have it's limits. If you have to force people to like it or be on your side then it's simply fanboi'ism.

But then again, enthusiasm is great too. It's nice when someone found their number one.

bharris22 wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:08 pm Does anyone know whether

1) Bitwig 8 Track is on version 3? I have a license for 8 Track "1" and 8 Track "2" in my Bitwig account, but there is only the installer for the full Bitwig Studio 3. If I install Bitwig Studio 3 and try to authorize it with one of my 8 Track licenses, would that work?

Thanks!
1. Yes
2. No.

tooneba wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:55 pm Identity crisis. Difference between the products grown in the original philosophy and the one plagiarized existing product.
? Not really sure what that means.

Good to see all the instruments in BWS are now multicore, it makes such a massive difference on modern processors.... for people who actually want to hear how the grid 'sounds'....

https://soundcloud.com/bitwig/boltzmann-brain-grid-demo

Lots more here: https://soundcloud.com/bitwig
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

Blaster wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:59 pm

Thanks!
1. Yes
2. No.
Thanks!

Think I found a bug
Routing a saw wave trough a cosine window module ( under data ) gives a 1unit sample spike at the zero crossings (happens with any other lookup module )
Routing the saw through a bi-->uni module ( to get a unipolar saw ) doesn't solve it

edit , I just noticed there is a dedicated Phasor module for this :tu:

With the phasor module (not the phase 1 oscilator ) combined with the phase shifting modules and the sine look up we get all sort of wonderfull phase distorion goodiness.
Way more flexible then the phase 1 osc :tu:
Last edited by gentleclockdivider on Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

tooneba wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:55 pm Identity crisis. Difference between the products grown in the original philosophy and the one plagiarized existing product.
it is not plagiarized. i used ableton since v1 and taught classes on it. BW is more than different enough and it does a ton that live can’t do at all.

pdxindy wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:56 pm
jonljacobi wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:05 pm I like Bitwig, and the Grid seems to be quite popular with some, but the program is full of gotchas. Gotchas being little things you thought just had to be there, or work simply, or work as expected and don’t.

Very creative devs, but they keep adding rooms to the house without fixing the issues in the basement. Or maybe I should say the first floor.
You make it sounds like they have done nothing in that regard. They have steadily added and improved on the basics... while also adding new rooms
Okay, "fixing (all) the issues in the basement". Many, many users leave still leave "head-scratching" comments in the forums. Bitwig might be 10 out of 10 for playing with sound, but it's certainly not for any other use. Focusing on sexy but niche stuff like touch and CV, plus sound creation has probably allowed them to sell enough software to survive, so I don't begrudge it. Even if I personally find it frustrating as heck.

I simply take issue with that review because it certainly looks like it's rating Bitwig 10 out of 10 as a DAW and that's simply not the case. It's not even top 5, though hopefully that will change in short order now.

Blaster wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:59 pm

Thanks!
1. Yes
2. No.
I fired up Bitwig 8 track and it said there was a new version (3).

So I installed it and found out that it does not include "the grid" , and it completely messes up the previous install.

So I uninstalled and reinstalled version 2.5.

Its hard to see what the point was of offering version 3 in the first place.

it is frustrating to switch daws. always. confusing that frustration with the daw being bad is super common. it took me a while to figure it out, but BW is imo at the end of the transition truly remarkable and way better than Live. Not just for sound creation. the routing, the control scripts (flex is a minor miracle) the mod system, the preset system, mpe support, and now grid, where you can make a tape warble or a clipper or a envelope follower controlled AM effect in seconds instead of being forced to use a vst and accept arbitrary limitations.. it’s really over the top. it is superb. if you like yours better, that’s cool, but man, kvr users and their cognitive dissonance are just silly.

Plagiarized? Similarity doesn't count, though it's always a source of contention. And this is not a work of art, fiction, or scholarship. There are no patents involved either.

No one lives in, or creates in a vacuum, and truly unique thoughts are rare as hen's teeth. Would you want to fly in a plane that was designed by someone who's never seen a plane, studied how they work, and learned from the errors of the past? How do think things improve? It's an incremental process. Versions!!

Ableton didn't invent its approach, I first saw it on the Atari ST thirty years ago with a program called Real Time. I used it live. I'm pretty sure he told me he got the idea from something else. Several other DAWs have added clip creating and launching since.

It turns out that a number of what people assumed were DaVinci's creations were simply better renderings of ideas in a book handed out by the Chinese in the early 15th century during a world tour. And they likely got them from and even older civilization we have very limited knowledge of.

There's a book entitled "Steal like an artist". Give it a good read.

Atough the minimum delay time readout in the long delay module reads 0.04ms , I 've noticed when doing feedback loops the minim time is actually 5.19ms
This is way too much for doing feedback loops , we need a 1 UNIT sample feedback .

You can easily test this your self by building a phase modulation osc byy using the phasor and a sine lookup , feeding back into itself .
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

Did they ever implement Rewire?
What sound do dreams make when they die?

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”