Roland Cloud

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
JX-3P Roland Cloud

Caine123 wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 7:28 pm I expected the jd 800/990 alreayy out :( man.... so disappointed
I think that the JV plugin has all the waveforms from the JD so you can at least get close.

but but but... I want that JD-800 interface in front, to be reminded of seeing Terminator movie in 1991, and get awesomely nostalgic and fartsy.

well, it kinda has that "metal endoskeleton" feel to it, 800 model. not T-800 model, JD-800 model. doh! OK, they both have it.

Some food for thought! while it's true that the JV has many of the factory waveforms from the JD, the big reason why so many people want it including myself is because, sound-wise, it's amazing and a step above the JV. The JV (and the subsequent models like the JV2080 and XV series) can hold so many expansion cards and would be my go-to if I wanted to pull up an acoustic instrument. But as a synthesizer, the raw tone of the JD is better akin to going from an mp3 to a wav file.

Here are some examples to show what I mean via the Synthmania website:

The "Wave Shimmer" patch from the Vintage Synth expansion card, presumptiously played on a JV1080 or a module from that series.
http://www.synthmania.com/Roland%20SR-J ... himmer.mp3

The very same patch played through the JD-990. It can only hold one JV80 expansion card and the Vintage Synth card is usually the chosen one.
http://www.synthmania.com/Roland%20JD-9 ... himmer.mp3

Both files are mp3, but there is definitely a difference and this is what we're on about. It feels like the JV series was designed for the media composer working on film, TV shows, video games and so on. Each module got more and more advanced and can hold a huge amount of expansion cards, both JV80 and latter-released SRX cards, whereas the JD990 can only hold a single JV80 card and no SRX cards (the JD800 can't hold any at all). So it's definitely quite limited in a lot of ways compared to the JV1080 series, but the sound quality is what's magical and why it's requested so much. As before, if I wanted an acoustic instrument, I'd probably pull up a JV and one of the many expansion cards made for it. If I wanted to dial in a synth patch though, I think I would pick the JD because while it's definitely limited in many regards to what it can hold, the filters on it are downright magical :phones:

Hope this explains some of the gearlust haha!

The filters are actually extremely similar, if not the same AFAIK, except on JD there's a fixed input gain that makes the whole thing clip to high heaven above certain resonance levels. On JV they added input gain patch so that you can have the same input gain level as on JD, but also lower it so that you don't get clipping. However even accounting for that, other parts of the synthesis chain have different gain levels, there are some differences in FX etc.

http://www.donsolaris.com/?p=172

Unfortunately the 1080 plugin doesn't have the "JD MULTI" effect available, so you cannot even begin to match JD patches on it :(

Is anyone else finding you have to re-authorise these plugins relatively often in your DAW? I'm finding they lose authorisation super quickly

mustgroove wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:22 pm Is anyone else finding you have to re-authorise these plugins relatively often in your DAW? I'm finding they lose authorisation super quickly
Here is from their FAQ:
"You have to be online to initially authenticate the instruments, but after that you have seven days before you need to be online again."

Still waiting for the JP8000/JP8080 vst. :ud:

commodore wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:45 pm Still waiting for the JP8000/JP8080 vst. :ud:
Its bound to happen....

commodore wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:45 pm Still waiting for the JP8000/JP8080 vst. :ud:
System 8 is your answer. At least from my limited expierience with real JP8000 and 8080 and System 8 plugin, Plugin S8 is better then real JP.

What's wrong with Diva? c:

Shiek927 wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:41 am
What's wrong with Diva? c:
Nothing, diva is great but different.

In case others like me were wondering, I got a definitive answer from Roland Cloud support about the status of the YOURS programme that let you keep one plugin per year of subscription. It's dead, Dave.
Me: Hi, I am interested in the Summer discount offers and planning to subscribe for 2 more years, but someone on a forum said you are discontinuing the 'yours' rewards programme. Is this true or would I expect to 'own' 2 of the Roland VSTs in perpetuity after a further 2 year subscription expired? Regards, WtG

Roland reply: Hi WtG,

Sorry, the YOURS program is no longer offered to new subscribers.

Regards,
Travis

Are you safe?
"For now… a bit like a fish on the floor"
https://tidal.com/artist/33798849

WatchTheGuitar wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:13 pm In case others like me were wondering, I got a definitive answer from Roland Cloud support about the status of the YOURS programme that let you keep one plugin per year of subscription. It's dead, Dave.
Me: Hi, I am interested in the Summer discount offers and planning to subscribe for 2 more years, but someone on a forum said you are discontinuing the 'yours' rewards programme. Is this true or would I expect to 'own' 2 of the Roland VSTs in perpetuity after a further 2 year subscription expired? Regards, WtG

Regards,
Travis
thanks for posting this. That's made my mind up after dithering for a year. It's a no from me.
Pastoral, Kosmiche, Ambient Music https://markgriffiths.bandcamp.com/
Experimental Music https://markdaltongriffiths.bandcamp.com/

ChamomileShark wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:16 pm
WatchTheGuitar wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:13 pm In case others like me were wondering, I got a definitive answer from Roland Cloud support about the status of the YOURS programme that let you keep one plugin per year of subscription. It's dead, Dave.

Regards,
Travis
thanks for posting this. That's made my mind up after dithering for a year. It's a no from me.
Thanks WatchTheGuitar. It's amazing how quietly they dropped the loyalty program. They can keep their "cloud" for themselves in this case, I'll pass

So this actually wasn't the end of it...

Regards,
Travis
Me: Well that’s a really bad decision IMO. I’m not going to renew now and I imagine several others won’t when they realise how the terms are changed.

Roland: If you bought a non-promotional subscription before 12/31/18, then you're still eligible. If you sing up for one of our summer promotions, those subscriptions are not eligible. If you joined before 1231/19 and you re-up with a standard subscription, those subscriptions are eligible.
Me: So I could renew for a further period, but not at the preferential rate being offered via the current promotion that you keep advertising about if I wish to keep the plugins?
No, it sounds like a stupidly arbitrary attempt to squeeze more money out of loyal customers and I’m not playing along.

Hoping that somewhere down the road you guys just bite the bullet and move over to an Arturia V Collection / Rob Papen Explorer style model instead.

Roland: Correct--the full-price subscription offers more than the discounted subscription. Either option is available to you if you created your account prior to 12/31/18.
Why do so many companies associate the loyalty of their customers with being a mug willing to accept any old crap?

So yeah guys great news, the YOURS programme is still alive, it's just that you have to pay full price at renewal time and avoid seeing the discounts everyone else is getting.

Are you safe?
"For now… a bit like a fish on the floor"
https://tidal.com/artist/33798849

Return to “Instruments”