The "NEW" Plugin Alliance?

VST, AU, etc. plug-in Virtual Effects discussion
Mushy Mushy
KVRAF
12018 posts since 7 Sep, 2008

Post Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:39 pm

Ok that’s a good mitigating point, thanks for pointing that out.

But where does it end. £15 every month isn’t a lot of money I agree, however if you want a handful of options, and who doesn’t, you can quite easily be in for £100*. And that’s to allow you to even make music. What if I have a rough couple of months I can’t make a single thing.

Nope. The same applies to my music. I want to own it and know it’s always there regardless.

*Assuming a future state of where the market is headed.
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

Mushy Mushy
KVRAF
12018 posts since 7 Sep, 2008

Re: The "NEW" Plugin Alliance?

Post Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:43 pm

Also, what’s the copy protection/license activation procedure? Can I be offline for a week? A fortnight?
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

Mathematics
KVRian
634 posts since 10 Sep, 2015 from You haven't unlocked this character yet

Post Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:45 pm

Bounce stems out for your past and future projects.
...and the electron responded, "what wall?"

Digivolt
KVRian
557 posts since 21 Nov, 2018

Post Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:54 pm

yehboy1 wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:39 pm
To the people who are against subscriptions, is there a price that it makes sense? As an extreme, would you be opposed to the PA subscription for $1 a month? If not, then is it in essence not about subscriptions but instead about the price?
Like everyone else says, Kilohearts does it best, even if you only got rewarded with a voucher for 50% of what you spent on sub to spend on getting a plug to keep I'd probably be tempted if the full catalogue of plugs was decent or even a free plug or 2 each year like Roland Cloud did.

Mathematics
KVRian

Post Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:00 pm

Yea, the RTO model would have definitely been a better marketing approach to letting PA slowly slip there hand into our pockets while we lock eyes with them as they slowly pull that dollar out with a nervous grin on their face.

el-bo (formerly ebow)
KVRAF
13466 posts since 24 May, 2009 from A galaxy, far far away

Post Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:11 pm

perpetual3 wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:04 pm
escalona wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:46 am
mixtur.se wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:05 am
plexuss wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:18 am
aMUSEd wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:11 am
I miss the old PA
+1. Too much dirking around. There are still a bunch of other companies that don't dirk around like this and just offer good products at good prices with friendly support. That's where my focus is going to go.
Like PSP. They have stayed classic for 20 years now and seem to be able to make a living.

Sorry, accidentally reported this post when I was replying, will try to reverse it (is it possible)?
Difference between the two companies:
Antoni
...sells plugins at reasonable prices
...updates and fixes bugs or adds features
...takes a few weeks off per year to meditate

Dirk
...sells plugins at $349
...doesn't know what updates/fixes are
...races supercars on the weekends
Vipassana?
Nothing like the dulcet tones of Goenka at 4:30am to recalibrate one's appreciation of sound and vibration :tu:

liquid light
KVRist
96 posts since 6 Jun, 2007

Post Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:26 pm

Been waiting with bated breath for the "New Plugin Alliance" with "lower prices" that is going to "help" us home studio peeps.... I have several plugins from them which was bought on sale over the years and some on special prices with coupons. These last few weeks was cool... affordable plugins finally. Was eyeballing the Shadow Hills plugin and began to salivate upon hearing about "better prices"

... alas the day finally came....

...meh.... way too expensive... well over $200 for that single plugin??? No thanks. I'll stick to Waves and others who are a bit more sensible for poor people like myself. Plus I'm not a fan of rental software either.

Good luck Plugin Alliance.
It's a nice day for a melody.

Scotty
KVRAF
1895 posts since 23 Dec, 2002

Post Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:28 pm

I think one approach to managing the subscription anxiety regarding opening older project files would be if the companies that sold subscriptions had an affordable 48 hour pass for the specific purpose of revisiting old projects after your subscription had lapsed.

I think I would be more tempted by subscription if that option were available. Bouncing out stems is also viable but not as flexible as having access to the plugins.

In regards to Plugin Alliance specifically I am no fan of their current plans and pricing scheme but of the plugins I do own... Plugin Alliance offerings get a lot of use here. The BX and Unfiltered Audio stuff is superb. I want to see them succeed and considering what I have purchased to this point I view them as excellent developers, poor marketers.
Asusp9712Core,RayDats,OASYSPCI,Cubase9,KorgLeg,Avalon737s+2022,UA4710D,6176,DCS,LA610MK2s,Neve, ARC2, Soundtoys,UADOCTO,AdamA7X, SphereMics, BCF+R2000s, DrmBrut,MiniLog,Volcas,MoogSubPhat,EnsqDP4,VirusC,Scope,MinBrut,Plugiator,NIS61 Ultimate,ComposrsCld.

DawnInEden
KVRist
76 posts since 19 Oct, 2018

Post Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:07 pm

Good points here.
I'am no huge fan of subscription models either. And while I admit, that PA has some really nice plugins, they didn't cover all ranges for a very long time. I probably don't really need another compressor or eq. I'd like to buy the VSM-3 and maybe one or two further mastering plugins. But that's it.

Subscriptions may be tempting, especially if you haven't to pay them upfront, but as of a sudden you pay 100 or 200 bucks each month for subscriptions. And if you're broke, you cannot open your older projects. Nah, not for me.

Another huge part is, that even if $179 a year is a good price for all these plugins. I don't need them all, not half of them, not even a quarter.

And this marketing gibberish made me sick. "Deal of my life...", here's the deal, no here's the deal, here's the deal with a code and finally here's the deal with your corrected code. Plus a bunch of teaser mails.
New prices all over the place? Advice to PA: If you say something like that with drumrolls and fireworks, make sure customers needn't search the site for a few lowered prices.

Regular musicians to semi-pros won't pay 149 to 349 plus VAT(!!) for a single plugin.

Overall I'm less angry than disappointed.

reggie1979
KVRian
1398 posts since 26 Nov, 2018

Post Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:27 pm

I've had 3, and 1 of them failed miserably. Slate (good) Splice/S1 (good and allowed me to leave after just a couple of months) and McDSP (terrible. One new plug and it was the 6060 over my beloved 6050 which is lame)

The McDSP one also had them coming out with the 6050 I wanted at 50 bucks two days later and gobbler would NOT allow me to stop. Complete waste of money.

So, I take the good with the bad and mostly I've fared well.

Russell Grand
KVRAF
1980 posts since 22 May, 2017

Post Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:34 pm

RPH wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:57 pm
Pay to own, period.
+1

stearine
KVRist
137 posts since 6 Jun, 2019

Post Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:28 pm

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:52 am
if the MC-77 sold for $99 regular price, it's still at the "premium" end of the spectrum. If I could pick it up for $99 minus a $25 voucher, that's a purchase I'd make and $75 out of my wallet and into Plugin Alliance's coffers. Instead, they'll be getting $0 from me for the foreseeable future.
My sentiments exactly. :-)

I only recently discovered Plugin Alliance and love their plugins, shelled out a good chunk of cash for some of the good stuff already in the last few months since they entered my awareness. I actually started getting rid of most of my other plugins after discovering PA and Melda - too bad my promising romance with PA came to such an abrupt end.

While impulse-buying software might not be the most sensible hobby, what it allows me to do is not think about getting most value out of them... because I already weighed it in the moment of purchase, after which I know I can take my time to get to know my tools. I'm the kind of guy who subscribed to Netflix, binge-watched for a few weeks, and after that paid three months for the service without launching it once, just because I was too lazy, distracted, indecisive, and in general absent-minded to terminate the subscription when it would have made most sense. Audio/music production is a hobby for me, and I take my hobbies seriously, but not this seriously. A subscription would not make sense for me, and the initial effect of the new & shiny PA is that it has already alienated me from their otherwise appealing products. The likely outcome is that I'll just take my attention and money elsewhere.

The first thing that springs to mind is that PA is trying to re-invent and profile themselves most strongly as catering to the professional market. Maybe the subscription model is a means to that end, a risk they've deemed worth taking, and alienating customers like me is the flip side of the coin. Oh well. Maybe us peasants will still be able to grab something nice at realistic prices once in a blue moon.

My thoughts & feelings from this are, in a nutshell: Dear Plugin Alliance, I held you in high regard, after knowing you only briefly. Now I'm mildly annoyed at you and don't feel the incentive to keep checking up on your new offerings and sales so much because I've made the face-value estimation that - all things considered - the probable time waste to probable gain ratio is higher than in the plenty other things around me that are constantly fighting to grab my attention.

Just one consumer report, that I hope you may find useful.

Mathematics
KVRian

Post Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:42 pm

So, here is where we're at:

A number of us are on par with a Rent-to-Own model instead of this Deal of Your Lifetime.

We're all scratching our heads about the lower prices.

What benefit does a subscription give to someone that has most of the plugins they need?

Is that about right?

Unaspected
KVRian
940 posts since 4 May, 2012

Post Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:52 pm

Mathematics wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:42 pm
So, here is where we're at:

A number of us are on par with a Rent-to-Own model instead of this Deal of Your Lifetime.

We're all scratching our heads about the lower prices.

What benefit does a subscription give to someone that has most of the plugins they need?

Is that about right?
That's about it. :)

escalona
KVRist
492 posts since 16 Jan, 2018 from Portland, OR USA

Post Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:05 pm

Return to “Effects”