Black Rooster Audio releases the VLA-FET

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Endor-8o8 wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:58 pm I have the very same problem with the release. I always try to make it faster and then think "oh yeah I'm already at the fastest one". Wish it was faster like other 1176 plugins I have.
Apart of that, the saturation sounds really good and it's a pretty good 1176 comp.
Maybe I'm not all over it because I already had a big WOW effect with the AR-1 from Kush...

The thing that troubled me was that the 76D from DMG sounds faster at 50ms (which is the fastest release time of VLA-FET).
It's entirely possible, dare I say likely (based on the description of Rev F in that Vintage King shootout between a hardware D and F), that the circuit changes in Rev F just resulted in a slower release time. So in a way, that could be a selling point (if you already have a ton of A/D/E emulations), but maybe not the best if you're after a lightning fast release.

I see yeah. I was aware about the topology that are different, but we still have digital values form the manuals (50ms). So 50ms should be equally fast no matter the topoplogy right ? :shrug:
How can it be possible that to get the same kind of release tail as with the VLA-FET I have to raise the release time of the 76D around 200ms ? I don't have golden ears so maybe I'm missing something here...just scratching my head around that 50ms that don't sound as fast as 50ms on another comp (even if I'm talking about plugins and not hardware here).
I like the fet comps at their fastest release, I rarely slow it down. For slow release I prefer VCA or tube emulations generally.

Endor-8o8 wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:58 pm
The thing that troubled me was that the 76D from DMG sounds faster at 50ms (which is the fastest release time of VLA-FET).
Measured release times in general are not really comparable. The curve of the release and attack functions are a big part of how fast or slow something feels...

Still haven't had the chance to check out the VLA-FET but to me the DMG 76 is one of the weirdest behaving 1176 emulations, which was a real surprise to me since I normally love DMG stuff. IMO it's much less reliable with regard to whether it works on certain material or not, whereas, again IMO, the best thing about an 1176 is that it's so universal with regard to where you can apply it to make something more aggressive...

Liero wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:47 pm
Endor-8o8 wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:58 pm
Measured release times in general are not really comparable. The curve of the release and attack functions are a big part of how fast or slow something feels...

Still haven't had the chance to check out the VLA-FET but to me the DMG 76 is one of the weirdest behaving 1176 emulations, which was a real surprise to me since I normally love DMG stuff. IMO it's much less reliable with regard to whether it works on certain material or not, whereas, again IMO, the best thing about an 1176 is that it's so universal with regard to where you can apply it to make something more aggressive...
Ok thanks ! So maybe it's more about the curve than the timing...I was also considering this but not sur if I was to do so.

The 76D have been reworked in a recent update and lot of users said it was closer to the hw now. Give a try, maybe you'll like what they did ! :)

Anyway, it's still a really great release from BRA and the price seems right to me. For that price you also get a saturation box (with the 1:1 mode). :D

Sounds really wonderful!!! Good job, BR

The things that separate this from other 1176 emus I've tried is the weight and stereo imaging as well as the fact that this actually suppresses transient peaks rather than creating new ones. I dig it.

Definitely the best 1176 emu that I've heard. I really liked the one from Arturia, but I like this even more.
You are currently reading my signature.

I’ve been using Softube FET for years. The slow release times made me not try this one. I mean how would the all buttons in mode work with a slow release?
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

v1o wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 6:50 am I’ve been using Softube FET for years. The slow release times made me not try this one. I mean how would the all buttons in mode work with a slow release?
I agree with you, that's my only problem with this one. I regularly reach for the release knob to speed it and see that it's already at its fastest. Clearly the all button mode doesn't sound as agressive as I wish it would (like the Monster from Slate or the FET Compressor). Apart from that, it does sound really good, lot of caracter but a bit too round and pillowy for me.

v1o wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 6:50 am I’ve been using Softube FET for years. The slow release times made me not try this one. I mean how would the all buttons in mode work with a slow release?
It works just fine - Did you test the plugin already? Besides that - we wanted not only to push out the quadrillionst emu of this great compressor, but add a new flavor to your arsenal with a non-typical revision. It is not always about money, but about taste and vision! And as producers and engineers ourselves, we strive for the best sound we can achieve, with the tools that are available. And there are many revisions available - so we added, what made sense and not what would be the "basically equal competitor with more XYZ". At least this is and always has been our spirit and that's why most of our emulations come with an exotic twist, some slight modifications & revisions, that add spice to the originals.
Black Rooster Audio
https://blackroosteraudio.com
Wuppertal, Germany

BlackRooster wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:14 am
It works just fine - Did you test the plugin already? Besides that - we wanted not only to push out the quadrillionst emu of this great compressor, but add a new flavor to your arsenal with a non-typical revision. It is not always about money, but about taste and vision! And as producers and engineers ourselves, we strive for the best sound we can achieve, with the tools that are available. And there are many revisions available - so we added, what made sense and not what would be the "basically equal competitor with more XYZ". At least this is and always has been our spirit and that's why most of our emulations come with an exotic twist, some slight modifications & revisions, that add spice to the originals.
Nobody's saying it doesn't work. We were just saying it doesn't do that agressive compression release some of us want with the all button mode or any other ratio position. One of the the first thing I tried was drum room mic with the VLA-FET on "all buttons mode" and it didn't do it for me. The room wasn't breathing/pumping like I'm used to hear with other emulations (FET Compressor or Slate FG-116 Black or the brand new MC77 by PA for example), and this was due to the release which doesn't feel/sound as fast as other emus. Again, nobody's saying it doesn't work, but if someone (like me or v1o) is looking for this fast/agressive 1176 movement, the VLA-FET won't be the first choice that comes to mind. The fact that there's a lot of alternative can make us picky and less impulsive/emotional when it comes to a new product like a new 1176 emulation. However, it does have a tone and a drive section that sound amazing and it's still another great product from Black Rooster. I own a lot of plugs from you and love them, so I'm not a hater ! :wink:
Last edited by Endor-8o8 on Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Endor-8o8 wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:38 am
BlackRooster wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:14 am
Nobody's saying it doesn't work. We were just saying it doesn't do that agressive compression release some of us want with the all button mode or any other ratio position. One of the the first thing I tried was drum room mic with the VLA-FET on "all buttons mode" and it didn't do it for me. The room wasn't breathing/pumping like I'm used to hear with other emulations (FET Compressor or Slate FG-116 Black or the brand new MC77 by PA for example), and this was due to the release which doesn't feel/sound as fast as other emus. Again, nobody's saying it doesn't work, but if someone (like me or v1o) is looking for this fast/agressive 1176 movement, the VLA-FET won't be the first choice that comes to mind. The fact that there's a lot of alternative can make us picky and less impulsive/emotional when it comes to a new product like a new 1176 emulation. However, it does have a tone and a drive section that sound amazing and it's still another great product from Black Rooster. I own a lot of plugs from you and love them, so no hater here ! :wink:
I understand and agree. Again, it was never our intention to build a competitor to other 1176 emulations, but to have an additional sound option - that's why I responded, without trying to invoke a discussion; It was just to get our process transparent. We sincerely don't want to "copy" the sh** out of a great product that has been modeled over and over, just to have that in our portfolio and I just wanted to make that clear. I personally like the idea of variety and I don't see why one product should cover it all. But this is just an opinion that found its way into BRA software - and everyone is free to choose whatever sound tool(s) her/she like to make use of.

And I don't see hate - I was pointing out for those not too familiar with BRA and/or FET compressors, that the release times and sound of the VLA-FET are not "better" or "worse" to the competition, but follow a different revision and therefore sound different by intention. I never felt offended by your thoughts - please don't feel offended by mine.

All the best, André
Black Rooster Audio
Wuppertal, Germany

No offense at all André ! I love what you're creating with Black Rooster and your opinion is always useful and welcome. :)

We both expose personal taste, and I agree with you on the fact that it's cool to see a company like yours coming with a special variation of the 1176 and not just another clone ! To me the VLA-FET is a good alternative when you want that FET compression but without being too rough or agressive even at fast settings, hence I might end up buying it in a near future. :wink:

By the way I hope to see an output trim for the VLA-2A so I can drive it like I can drive the VLA-FET !!! (your saturation always sounds good !) :pray:

Regarding issues with AAX & AU on MAC:

We have uploaded our MAC OSX installer with the latest bugfix on the AU & AAX wrapping methods. Unfortunately, the old install process has not been able to update the access permissions for the components folder, which caused ProTools, Logic/GarageBand and Live to fail on loading BRA plugins.

Steps to fix on customer's site:
1.) Uninstall all Black Rooster Audio plugins utilizing our uninstaller (/Applications/BlackRoosterAudio/Uninstaller)
2.) Download the latest installer for MAC from our website (https://blackroosteraudio.com/download/ ... _2_4_1.zip)
Please make sure to clean the browser cache in order to re-download any installer package!
3.) Re-install the plugins as usual (for Steinberg DAW products, use the "Legacy VST" option under the install customization dialogue).
4.) Check the plugins within your DAW or under /Applications/BlackRoosterAudio/Plug-Ins <-- the folder should contain the bundle files and not be protected

All the best,
André
Black Rooster Audio
Wuppertal, Germany

For me VLA-FAT _was_ competing with all the other 1176's out there, and it won :D
I might be different than others in that I don't want to have eight different types of FET compression at hand, I just want one really good one to rely on without strings attached (like subscriptions, weird copy protections etc.). For me, this is it!

Slightly slower release doesn't bother me at all, it's not even that slow.
The attack snap is perhaps the best out there, only Slate comes close imo.
It also works on just about anything, which is where a lot of other plugins, like the new Arturia one, fails.

So great job BRA!

Return to “Effects”