alpha forever...upcoming modular synth

Modular Synth design and releases (Reaktor, SynthEdit, Tassman, etc.)
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

9b0 wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 12:32 pm
Everglide wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 4:09 am Balazs, Do you plan to port Alpha Forever to Mac?
Hi! We plan to do it in the future, but for the time being we are focusing on new features and improvements. Apart of the huge amount of work and testing it would take to port the plugin to AU, the future of the Mac OS is also a huge risk ATM. Currently it's safer to do as much as we can on the current platform. We will focus on Mac whenever we happen to have more users / resources, and we know what the new OS X is going to look like (what the compatibility with the current Intel chipset is going to be, and what the reaction of the audio industry is going to be like).
Now that Apple have announced that the new Mac Pro is remaining on Intel, does that give you reassurance for future development of Alpha Forever on Mac?

I'm seriously contemplating buy a Mac Mini Pro to boot in Windows just so I can use Alpha Forever now. It sounds that good!

Just an idea (never tried it) but maybe it is possible to use a virtual machine with a Windows guest OS on Mac to experiment with Alpha Forever. Of course there could be performance and compatibility issues but buying a computer for it seems to be overkill.

The latest AFNoding episode is here. We create a custom curved envelope follower that can be turned into an LFO.

https://youtu.be/A_xfG0r4PQQ
Alpha Forever Modular
Web // Youtube // Facebook //
Instagram // Discord

Very interesting! Great video & explanation 9b0. Thanks alot! :)

Charlie Firpo wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 7:35 pm Very interesting! Great video & explanation 9b0. Thanks alot! :)

I always forget to tell something in the videos... this time it was that you’ve been the inspiration for building this, so thanks for the idea!
Alpha Forever Modular
Instagram // Discord

Hi, I'm probably doing something wrong, but the synth is not reacting to CC64 sustain pedal.
Sadly for me this is a show stopper. I allready bought it, but I cant't see myself playing it without a working sustain pedal. :-(
Geetings from Austria!

Starmill Studio wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:54 pm Hi, I'm probably doing something wrong, but the synth is not reacting to CC64 sustain pedal.
Sadly for me this is a show stopper. I allready bought it, but I cant't see myself playing it without a working sustain pedal. :-(
Geetings from Austria!
Hi! You can use MIDI CC's using the MIDI CC node. Simply write the CC number into the input field, and the node will output values in the 0..1 range depending on the state of your controller.

Here i'm receiving MIDI CC 72 in Ableton, and track the values on a scope:

Be aware, that some hosts filter MIDI CC messages that a plug-in can receive. As an example: if a VST parameter is mapped to CC64 in Ableton, the Midi CC node wont receive the messages it requests from Live.

It's also important to know, that your MIDI CC node has to be connected to the patch that connects to the audio output (or be connected to the output directly). That's the way AFModular is structured. Nodes only process anything, if they are part of the patch that makes sound.
Alpha Forever Modular
Instagram // Discord

Thank you for your answer but that's not what I meant. For prober sustain pedal functionality the Midi Note module needs to keep track of all Note Off messages received while the pedal is down (CC64 > 64). So the module produces only gate open (G = 1) signals. When you let go of the pedal all the gate closed (G = 0) signals are sent at once.
So when you play with the pedal down all the envelopes are held at sustain level and when the pedal is lifted the envs go into their release stages.
At least that's how each and every other synth or keyboard instrument I have works. Maybe I'm just to old to rewire my brain NOT to use my pedal, but as a classically trained pianist I just can't help myself. ;-)

Actually I might be able to implement this behaviour using some logic modules. Since every new Note On Message gets it's own voice there is no need for a list of held notes. All I have to build is a structure that holds the gate open until the pedal is released.
Although I still would prefer if the plugin itself took care of sustain duties. I just looked it up in NI Reaktor - in the properties of an ensemble you have a "Sustain Ctrl" set to CC64 and "Sustain Ctrl Active".

I think you might want something like this:
(copy-paste it into afmodular)

Code: Select all

c3dkZXNpZ25lcmNsaXBib2FyZDo6MjAxNTA3MTUKBQAAAHN3bWlkaW5vdGUKc3djb21wOjoyMDE1MDIxMApNaWRpIE5vdGUK1AAAALUBAABz
d21pZGlub3RlOjoyMDE1MDIxMApNaWRpIE5vdGUKc3dtaWRpY2MKc3djb21wOjoyMDE1MDIxMApNaWRpIENDCigBAACkAQAAc3dtaWRpY2M6
OjIwMTUwMjEwCgAAgEJNaWRpIENDCnN3aWZncmVhdGVyCnN3Y29tcDo6MjAxNTAyMTAKSWYgPgr6AQAApAEAAElmID4Kc3djb25zdApzd2Nv
bXA6OjIwMTUwMjEwCkIKkAEAALUBAABzd2NvbnN0OjoyMDE1MDIxMAoAAAA/Qgpzd2NvbnN0CnN3Y29tcDo6MjAxNTAyMTAKVAooAQAAxgEA
AHN3Y29uc3Q6OjIwMTUwMjEwCgAAgD9UCgEAAABJZiA+CkEKTWlkaSBDQwpDQwoBAAAASWYgPgpCCkIKIwoBAAAASWYgPgpUClQKIwoBAAAA
SWYgPgpGCk1pZGkgTm90ZQpHCgAAAAA=
325297332871879B52B2F8F472E50A62

aabyssx wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:34 pm I think you might want something like this:
(copy-paste it into afmodular)
@aabyssx: the problem with your patch is that releasing notes get turned on again when the sustain restarts.

@Starmill Studio: I've created another patch that acts the way it should be alright. You can save this macro for yourself and reuse it in any other patch. You simply have to insert this patch inbetween the gate and your envelopes. I was playing it now, and even if i do not have a pedal, i was able to recreate the sustain behaviour nicely with it. We hope, this will make playing AF more fun for you!

c3dkZXNpZ25lcmNsaXBib2FyZDo6MjAxNTA3MTUKAQAAAHN3c3ViZGVzaWduZXIKc3djb21wOjoyMDE1MDIxMApTdXN0YWluCrIAAAA7AgAA
c3dzdWJkZXNpZ25lcjo6MjAxNTAyMTAKc3dkZXNpZ25lcjo6MjAxODAzMTUKCgAAAHN3Y2hhbmdlCnN3Y29tcDo6MjAxNTAyMTAKQ2hhbmdl
CpUCAAC7AQAAc3d2YXJpYWJsZQpzd2NvbXA6OjIwMTUwMjEwClZhcmlhYmxlCuACAACHAQAAc3djb25zdApzd2NvbXA6OjIwMTUwMjEwCkIg
MQpiAQAAzAEAAHN3Y29uc3Q6OjIwMTUwMjEwCgAAAD9zd2NvbnN0CnN3Y29tcDo6MjAxNTAyMTAKVCAxCsEBAADdAQAAc3djb25zdDo6MjAx
NTAyMTAKAACAP3N3Y3Jvc3NmYWRlCnN3Y29tcDo6MjAxNTAyMTAKQ3Jvc3NmYWRlCiwDAAB2AQAAc3djcm9zc2ZhZGU6OjIwMTUwMjEwCnN3
Y29ubmVjdApzd2NvbXA6OjIwMTUwMjEwCkNvbgr6AgAAuwEAAHN3aW4Kc3djb21wOjoyMDE1MDIxMApHCpUCAAB2AQAAc3dpbjo6MjAxNTAy
MTAKc3dpZmdyZWF0ZXIKc3djb21wOjoyMDE1MDIxMApJZiA+IDEKNQIAALsBAABzd291dApzd2NvbXA6OjIwMTUwMjEwCkdzCoIDAAB1AQAA
c3dvdXQ6OjIwMTUwMjEwCnN3bWlkaWNjCnN3Y29tcDo6MjAxNTAyMTAKTWlkaSBDQwrBAQAAuwEAAHN3bWlkaWNjOjoyMDE1MDIxMAoAAIBC
AQAAAENoYW5nZQpJbgpJZiA+IDEKPgoBAAAAVmFyaWFibGUKTmV3CkcKSQoBAAAAVmFyaWFibGUKVHJnCkNoYW5nZQpUCgEAAABDcm9zc2Zh
ZGUKQQpHCkkKAQAAAENyb3NzZmFkZQpCClZhcmlhYmxlClZhbAoBAAAAQ3Jvc3NmYWRlClgKQ29uCk8KAQAAAENvbgpJCklmID4gMQo+CgEA
AABJZiA+IDEKQQpNaWRpIENDCkNDCgEAAABJZiA+IDEKQgpCIDEKIwoBAAAASWYgPiAxClQKVCAxCiMKAQAAAEdzCk8KQ3Jvc3NmYWRlCj0K
AAAAAACYDsDQtNVBAACAP1N1c3RhaW4KAQAAAFN1c3RhaW4KRwpNaWRpIE5vdGUKRwoAAAAA
512653E5436B8702F3C08C0105C74F9D
Simply connect this designer like this:

This is what the sustain designer looks like inside:

The idea is to save the state of the gate to a variable whenever MIDI CC64 goes above or gets below the 0.5 threshold. If it's above the threshold we output the value saved in the variable (if the gate was alive at that time then the value should be 1, if it was not alive, then it's a releasing note, so the value of the variable should be 0), if it's below the threshold we simply output the gate, since we do not want the sustain to influence anything in this case.
Alpha Forever Modular
Instagram // Discord

And here's a different approach that works well 2!

c3dkZXNpZ25lcmNsaXBib2FyZDo6MjAxNTA3MTUKAQAAAHN3c3ViZGVzaWduZXIKc3djb21wOjoyMDE1MDIxMApTdXN0YWluCrIAAAA7AgAA
c3dzdWJkZXNpZ25lcjo6MjAxNTAyMTAKc3dkZXNpZ25lcjo6MjAxODAzMTUKCAAAAHN3dmFyaWFibGUKc3djb21wOjoyMDE1MDIxMApWYXJp
YWJsZQrgAgAAhwEAAHN3Y29uc3QKc3djb21wOjoyMDE1MDIxMApCIDEK2QAAAKkBAABzd2NvbnN0OjoyMDE1MDIxMAoAAAA/c3dpbgpzd2Nv
bXA6OjIwMTUwMjEwCkcKlQIAAIcBAABzd2luOjoyMDE1MDIxMApzd291dApzd2NvbXA6OjIwMTUwMjEwCkdzCiUDAACGAQAAc3dvdXQ6OjIw
MTUwMjEwCnN3bWlkaWNjCnN3Y29tcDo6MjAxNTAyMTAKTWlkaSBDQwo4AQAAmAEAAHN3bWlkaWNjOjoyMDE1MDIxMAoAAIBCc3dhZGQKc3dj
b21wOjoyMDE1MDIxMApBZGQKpwEAAJgBAABzd3RydW5jCnN3Y29tcDo6MjAxNTAyMTAKVHJ1bmMK+QEAAJgBAABzd2NvbXBsZW1ldApzd2Nv
bXA6OjIwMTUwMjEwCjEtWApEAgAAmAEAAAEAAABWYXJpYWJsZQpOZXcKRwpJCgEAAABWYXJpYWJsZQpUcmcKMS1YCjEtWAoBAAAAR3MKTwpW
YXJpYWJsZQpWYWwKAQAAAEFkZApBCk1pZGkgQ0MKQ0MKAQAAAEFkZApCCkIgMQojCgEAAABUcnVuYwpBCkFkZAorCgEAAAAxLVgKWApUcnVu
YwpJbnQKAAAAACatQ8O8d3fDome7P1N1c3RhaW4KAQAAAFN1c3RhaW4KRwpNaWRpIE5vdGUKRwoAAAAA
B68CDFA58F4E7FA4185C04391C330DFF
The idea is the same, just the realization is different.

EDIT:
MIDI CC node: The MIDI CC node outputs values between 0..1 depending on the state of your controller.
Add node: I add 0.5 to the MIDI CC-s output, so we are inbetween 0.5 .. 1.5.
Trunc node: The truncation cuts the decimals, so after the truncation we have 0 if the pedal outputs a value below 64, and we have 1 if the pedal outputs something above 64.
1-x node: I subtract the output of the truncation from 1, this is basically inverting. We have 1 if the pedal is on low and 0 if it's on high now.
Variable node: the variable is something like a sample and hold modul. If the input labeled 'Trg' has a nonzero value, then the variable stores the value just received on the input plug labeled 'New'. The node always outputs the last stored value, so if the 'Trg' input receives a constant value of 1, the variable simply outputs the incoming signal received on the 'New' plug. In this case this is the 'New' plug receives the gate. If the signal on the 'Trg' input gets a value of 0, we simply output the last gate value we had at the time the 'Trg' was on 1. So if the gate was active at this point of time, we will output a constant value of 1 until we raise our leg from the pedal. If the pedal is raised, the variable will output the gate value again. If we did raise our hand from the key by now, this value will be 0 for sure, and the note will start to release.
Alpha Forever Modular
Instagram // Discord

Thank you! I'll have a go at it over the weekend!

A new noding session is available. We cover the topic of analogue drumsounds, but if you look carefully, you can spot some new features as well.

https://youtu.be/qGAisrmyhxE
Alpha Forever Modular
Instagram // Discord

Awesome! Any news on updates? I'd love to see Alpha Forver really take off in a huge way.
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

Return to “Modular Synthesis”