The "NEW" Plugin Alliance?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

lwj wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:05 pm
jens wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:54 pm
phaded wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:23 pm I would hate to see them fold.
But why? In the examples we have seen so far the actual developers did/do much better on their own. Dirk himself is not a developer. He's a business man.
Maybe he bought the subscription?
:lol: :hihi:

That would explain it, yeah.
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

jens wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:54 pm
phaded wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:23 pm I would hate to see them fold.
But why? In the examples we have seen so far the actual developers did/do much better on their own. Dirk himself is not a developer. He's a business man.
Oh its more concern for the devs under the PA umbrella. I agree that many of them could have had been successful without joining PA, but from a business/growth standpoint I can certainty understand the appeal of partnership. In theory it should give developers the ability to focus on new product by having a marketing/sales/support infrastructure. As well, lesser-known devs should get a boost in name reignition by having products showcased alongside established brands within the market.

But I don't know if I can feel too much sympathy for Dirk aside from understanding disappointment from a plan not coming to fruition. Beyond that it seems like he is most likely to land on his feet if it all burns down.

I was going to suggest that perhaps its time some of the decisions business side should be handled by others, but that's making some pretty broad assumptions without really knowing how the sausage gets made, so to speak.

Teksonik wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:45 pm
perfumer wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:51 am Well, guess what, pro plugins weren't made for you guys. :shrug:
Well guess what, Plugin Alliance doesn't sell "Pro Plugins" (with the exception of DS Thorn). I find all the PA effects plugins I've tried to be bland and common sounding barely worth the super sales price. Their business seems to be geared to those who don't know any better or are easily suckered by 90% off. There is a difference between Pro Prices and Pro Software. :shrug:
This is a point where I subscribe to the guy who said, that the reaction is going a little bit ridiculous.

As much as I hate the marketing, as much I dislike the downtalking (is that even a word?). I saw the same with Waves. And yes, I do think the PA has some really good plugins. The Townhouse sits on my 2-buss all the time and does, what I want it to do.

Maybe I'm not "pro" enough, but I do not even care.

phaded wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:10 pm In theory it should give developers the ability to focus on new product by having a marketing/sales/support infrastructure.
Yes, I agree that this may be a very good thing. However in this certain case here I really wonder whether it doesn't do more harm than good. And as I mentioned most developers seem to work as hired guns for PA with little control over what they actually develop.
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

Notwithstanding the cringe consumer manipulative marketing, I’m concerned that you sign up for a subscription, and then he lowers the price. That’s the pattern I see with PA.

At least it's all not sub only.Im happy with my PA plugins i own and will continue along this path.Personally i think the sub model works best for perhaps a production company who pay the sub fees and their employees use the software.As a personal user/producer i very much dislike the sub model.On another note as a UAD user i think they need a hard look at their pricing policy.Its not the old days anymore.Happy music making.:-)
http://www.voltagedisciple.com
Patches for PHASEPLANT ACE,PREDATOR, SYNPLANT, SUB BOOM BASS2,PUNCH , PUNCH BD
AALTO,CIRCLE,BLADE and V-Haus Card For Tiptop Audio ONE Module
https://soundcloud.com/somerville-1i

perpetual3 wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:59 pm Notwithstanding the cringe consumer manipulative marketing, I’m concerned that you sign up for a subscription, and then he lowers the price. That’s the pattern I see with PA.
Well, it has already happened. A bunch of PA-crusading premature ejaculators unwisely jumped into the $249/year as a gesture of support for their leader and they just found out that all the $179/year codes are the same and work for everybody. As happy as they were and as hard as they defended Di*k and the whole PluginAnnoyance cult from its detractors, now they feel they were robbed $70 and Di*k didn't even spit on it when they bent over. It is my guess that within a day or two, those $149/year codes are going to be going around (if they're not here already) and I bet anything they are also the same codes and also work for everybody... more pissedoffness to follow, I am sure.
Then, once we get to that famous "Q4" (last quarter of the year) monthly payments will kick in... imagine if month by month happens to have more perks or it just happens to be cheaper than the $249/year blunderspunk-quick-Jimmies just bought into... also by that time they may realize "f**k, I've only used Byome in three months cuz I've been noodling with that same loop nonstop while eating cheetos..." or "even though this compressor is a game changer and I've put it in all of my tracks... song still stinks."
And then imagine that PluginAnnoyance greed kicks in in November and we start seeing flash sales, surprise vouchers, blah blah blah... again. If by that time there is a plugin I need that's when I'll buy.
Briefly, if we can categorize all the potential and de-facto clientele of PluginAnnoyance, we may see that the shit sandwich gets passed around these groups from time to time, so they can assure profitability. The faster you jump on a train the bigger the bite...
By the way, I copied all these "potential" ideas from The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch... so you know they're true. :hihi:
“In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.”

risome wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:18 pm On another note as a UAD user i think they need a hard look at their pricing policy.Its not the old days anymore.
Copy that!

Otoh I think the user base has grown and more people are willing to pay for plugins (subjective perception). But not as much as the studios etc. paid in the past.

jens wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:38 pm
mgw38 wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:26 pm
jens wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:21 pm Look at the huge round thing. It is not a control (clicking on it opens the about screen, that's it).
The GUI is a more or less exact recreation of the original hardware unit.

Yes - is that not what I said? That's exactly my point. PA don't sell hardware though, they sell plugins.
The recreation of the GUI is relevant because it communicates that this is an officially approved plugin version of the hardware. The developers did not only recreate the sound characteristics of the hardware, they actually had access to the detailed circuit design and the thoughts behind it. And the hardware manufacturer signed off on it. This might not be relevant for everybody but it is an important differentiating factor.
Follow me on Youtube for videos on spatial and immersive audio production.

mgw38 wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:57 pm
jens wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:38 pm
mgw38 wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:26 pm
jens wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:21 pm Look at the huge round thing. It is not a control (clicking on it opens the about screen, that's it).
The GUI is a more or less exact recreation of the original hardware unit.

Yes - is that not what I said? That's exactly my point. PA don't sell hardware though, they sell plugins.
The recreation of the GUI is relevant because it communicates that this is an officially approved plugin version of the hardware. The developers did not only recreate the sound characteristics of the hardware, they actually had access to the detailed circuit design and the thoughts behind it. And the hardware manufacturer signed off on it. This might not be relevant for everybody but it is an important differentiating factor.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

That's entirely ridiculous. So I guess e.g. Eventide Instant Phaser MKII is not an official and officially approved emulation of the hardware then. :hihi:

Thanks for the laugh! And the insight in how the brains of some of their loyal customers function. ;-)

jens wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:16 pm That's entirely ridiculous. So I guess e.g. Eventide Instant Phaser MKII is not an official and officially approved emulation of the hardware then. :hihi:
It is a business decision they made. Elysia found their logo iconic enough so that they wanted to have it in there. Eventide went a different direction. Why does this bother you? I couldn't care less.
jens wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:16 pm Thanks for the laugh! And the insight in how the brains of some of their loyal customers function. ;-)
You do realize that you are the one obsessing about PA. ;)

We need a Plugin Empire to fight the Plugin Alliance.

yehboy1 wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:55 pm We need a Plugin Empire to fight the Plugin Alliance.
Use the Force, KVR.
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

/waves hand

these are not the plug ins you are looking for...

kvr, never a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

yehboy1 wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:55 pm We need a Plugin Empire to fight the Plugin Alliance.
:lol:

There are "United Plugins" now. Not much of an empire at that point but give it some time.

Return to “Effects”