Thorn: Dmitry Sches' new synth!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
DS Audio Thorn Thorn Pro Expansion (Thorn Presets)

v1o wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:49 pm Does the CM version get updated like the regular version?
If I were Dmitry I wouldn‘t...

evilantal wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 6:10 am
Touch The Universe wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 8:24 pm Touch The Universe Thorn Bundle on Sale - 3 Soundsets (450 presets) for $30
Till when is that sale on?
The word Dec can be seen on the banner, but I can't read the number that supposed to follow that :)
Sorry for the late response. The sale was supposed to officially end on December, so the minute past 12 midnight last day of November.

The good news is that I haven't actually reverted the site back from the sale. This will take half an hour or so of tedious html, css, and php code that I've been neglecting until I can find some time. Depending on when you are reading this, you might get lucky and can still checkout using the links on the site that still has the sale :D :tu:
Last edited by Touch The Universe on Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:11 pm, edited 4 times in total.
High Quality Soundsets for Lush-101 | Hive | Electra 2 | Diversion | Halion | Largo | Rapid | Dune II | Thorn | and more.

TTU Youtube

SynthRatings wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:51 am
Touch The Universe wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 8:24 pm Touch The Universe Thorn Bundle on Sale - 3 Soundsets (450 presets) for $30
Thanks for the heads-up. I'm a big admirer of your work based on the demos, looking forward to picking up several of your soundsets for different synths and diving into them :phones:
Awesome, and thanks. Any support is much appreciated :D
Hit me up anytime :tu:
High Quality Soundsets for Lush-101 | Hive | Electra 2 | Diversion | Halion | Largo | Rapid | Dune II | Thorn | and more.

TTU Youtube

There's definitely something about the sound of this that has grabbed me--I only have the CM version but it's got a real "immediacy" and "playability" if that makes sense that I feel is lacking in Logic's alchemy...on paper I really shouldn't "need" Thorn if I have Alchemy, just going by synthesis types. Part of that may be the fx, I find I prefer the sound of Alchemy when I remove the internal fx and add my own delay/verb. Many of the patches in Alchemy sound nice but they "feel" and sound like they are under a shiny blanket a little distance away...LOL! In any case, really like Thorn based on the CM version.

I especially like many of the lead patches.

Can anyone confirm that presets made for the full thorn will not open in Thorn CM? Will they load at all?

TTU Youtube

Touch The Universe wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:00 pm Can anyone confirm that presets made for the full thorn will not open in Thorn CM? Will they load at all?
Hi! Yes i could load the presets from the Serene Dimensions sound bank.
The missing osc/filter/Fx was not there, so some of the patches sound a bit different, but they are recognizable. The noise OSC sample loaded as well.
Altough especially some pluck sounds are different as there is only 1 filter and need to manually adjust parameters to get that sound. Better buy the original synth if someone want to buy some packs... 8)
Cant wait for your next Sound bank. :)

Thanks for your answer. Someone asked me that and I wasn't sure so I had to ask about it here. I want to release one more soundset for thorn after my next release for omnisphere. I might be focusing on omnisphere a great deal in the future since it is turning out more beautiful than I could have ever imagined, sound design is magical here with special moments much harder to come by in other synths.

TTU Youtube

Yes i am aware of Omnisphere.
There is no demo for it.
It looks very complex and a lot of different pages.
What i like about Thorn (as well) that its so fast to program/tweak.
How is that with omnisphere?

I wouldn't say it's fast, not in the least, but it is not a chore atleast. It's workflow is as good as can be with so many pages. The magic is the in the filters, its modulations, glide, and high quality samples/tables. It's top notch and accidents are easy to come by. I'd be making a lead and randomly choose to layer with a noise sample and it sounds decent, then raise the resonance and lower the filter and its an awesome sound I struggle to create elsewhere.

TTU Youtube

Protoculture has just released a pretty neat soundset for Thorn:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pYpr0Jk2iY

Available here for $24.95: https://blackoctopus-sound.com/product/euphorbia/

Contains:
10 Arp patches
22 Bass patches
4 Chord patches
18 Lead patches
16 Pad patches
17 Pluck patches
13 Sequence patches
100 patches total, sorted into categories
Great for Psytrance, Trance, Techno, House and Ambient to name a few.
Black Octopus Sound | Samples & Presets | VST Plugins & Software (Diva, Harmor, Spire, FL Studio, IK Multimedia & more)

An absolute Let down. This wonderful synth is now not longer supported by Dmitry. Instead of that it has become a part of the Plugin-Alliance. Look at the price. It's laughable, I have no other words for that. If you are a lucky owner of the old version you principally don't need to update I think it's pretty good as it was before the platform switch.

nichttuntun wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:49 pm An absolute Let down. This wonderful synth is now not longer supported by Dmitry. Instead of that it has become a part of the Plugin-Alliance. Look at the price. It's laughable, I have no other words for that. If you are a lucky owner of the old version you principally don't need to update I think it's pretty good as it was before the platform switch.
What is wrong with the price? Do you think Thorn is not worth the $199?
What did it cost before the transfer to PA?

enCiphered wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:18 pm
nichttuntun wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:49 pm An absolute Let down. This wonderful synth is now not longer supported by Dmitry. Instead of that it has become a part of the Plugin-Alliance. Look at the price. It's laughable, I have no other words for that. If you are a lucky owner of the old version you principally don't need to update I think it's pretty good as it was before the platform switch.
Dmitry would frequently put Thorn on sale. I got it for $69 USD in 2018 May. I certainly would never pay $199 USD for it - it's a great synth plugin, but not THAT great!

All that said, Dmitry's reasons for migrating to Plugin Alliance makes complete sense, as he is a 1 man operation, and Plugin Alliance takes care of all marketing, server hosting, and sales transactions. That frees Dmitry to only have to work on coding.

I'll add that the version being sold on Plugin Alliance includes 3 new soundbanks that weren't included with the last version he had on his servers. He also offered to migrate all current owners for a small $19 USD fee, which gets you the 3 soundbanks included in the new version. So, there's that.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite | Reason 12 | i7 3770 @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro| Akai MPC Live II & Akai Force | Roland System 8 | Roland TR-8 with 7x7 Expansion | Roland TB-3 | Roland MX-1 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

EnochLight wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:21 pm
enCiphered wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:18 pm
Dmitry would frequently put Thorn on sale. I got it for $69 USD in 2018 May. I certainly would never pay $199 USD for it - it's a great synth plugin, but not THAT great!

All that said, Dmitry's reasons for migrating to Plugin Alliance makes complete sense, as he is a 1 man operation, and Plugin Alliance takes care of all marketing, server hosting, and sales transactions. That frees Dmitry to only have to work on coding.

I'll add that the version being sold on Plugin Alliance includes 3 new soundbanks that weren't included with the last version he had on his servers. He also offered to migrate all current owners for a small $19 USD fee, which gets you the 3 soundbanks included in the new version. So, there's that.
Ok, thanks for the info. Then the price is really high now.
But nichttuntun wrote
This wonderful synth is now not longer supported by Dmitry
Does this mean, this synth won´t get any updates in the future? V1.2 will be the last build ever?
Last edited by enCiphered on Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nichttuntun wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:49 pm This wonderful synth is now not longer supported by Dmitry
Bullshit. He CLEARLY said that PA only does the selling part and he can focus on the coding side.

Return to “Instruments”