Presonus USB audiobox 96 doubling effect

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I asked this question on presonus forum a couple of days ago but received no reply, so perhaps somebody here can help.

My synth audio ouput is linked on the audiobox inst 1 channel
and this synth audio ouput is assigned to an audio entry in Studio one.

When the channel volume slider is fully down in S1, I still can hear my synth audio coming out the audiobox and when I push up the mixer channel volume slider, I can hear a mix of the direct audio signal coming out of the audiobox and the one coming out of S1.
The result is a phasey sound.
The mixer knob on the audiobox is fully turned to the right (playback) so I should not hear the direct audio sound ?

How can I avoid that direct sound coming out of the audio box ?

Note : I red the manual which explained that :
"Power User Tip: When monitoring your inputs through Studio One or another DAW, it is important that you turn the Mixer knob all the way to the Playback position. Monitoring both the input signal and the playback stream will create a doubling effect that will make monitoring dificult"
So why does the audiobox creates a doubling effect when the mixer knob is all the way to the playback position ?
Is the audiobox damaged ?

Used to have an Audiobox USB 96 until recently. I had the same problem. Even with the Mix knob fully on Playback, hot signals from the input leaked into the main output. It wasn't that loud, but clearly noticeable. Of course recorded audio was unaffected, so after the synth was recorded to an audio track and no longer being triggered, there were no issues.
My Behringer UMC404HD doesn't do this - even when the input is so loud it clips, there's no audio leaking into the main output when the Mix knob is fully right.

AdvancedFollower wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 2:24 pm Used to have an Audiobox USB 96 until recently. I had the same problem. Even with the Mix knob fully on Playback, hot signals from the input leaked into the main output. It wasn't that loud, but clearly noticeable. Of course recorded audio was unaffected, so after the synth was recorded to an audio track and no longer being triggered, there were no issues.
My Behringer UMC404HD doesn't do this - even when the input is so loud it clips, there's no audio leaking into the main output when the Mix knob is fully right.
Ok, I asked Presonus to replace my audiobox because they told me it was a hardware failure.
I can still hear the hot signal when the knob is fully to playback position with the new interface.
So this is a design issue from Presonus and they are not aware of it according to Presonus support team ! :clap:

My USB 96 works great.

I also have Faderport hooked in, and an Atom.

And I keep up with the firmware and driver upgrades.

The only problems I ever had were when I didn't do the firmware upgrades.

Sorry this doesn't exactly help, but

- at least you're getting a swap out, which is decent

- someone has to stick up for Presonus hardware.
Member 12, Studio One v6.5, VPS Avenger, Kontakt 7, Spitfire, Dune, Arturia, Sonible, Baby Audio, CableGuys, Nektar Panorama P1, Vaporizer 2 to test out

kevvvvv wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:32 pm My USB 96 works great.

I don't what is Presonus position but I sent them a ticket so they are aware of this issue.
This is written in the audiobox manual but this is false as with 2 brand new interfaces, I could still here the input signal when mixer knob is at full playback position which results in a boring doubling/phasing effect:
"Power User Tip: When monitoring your inputs through Studio One or another DAW, it is important that you turn the Mixer knob all the way to the Playback position. Monitoring both the input signal and the playback stream will create a doubling effect that will make monitoring dificult"

I'm stuck with this inteface and regrets having purchased it.
I have had several issues since the beginning with it and i'm fed up with it.

Have you tried running a signal into the Input, with the Mixer knob fully at Playback? That seems to be the issue here - The mixer knob doesn't fully silence the direct monitoring of the inputs, even when turned fully clockwise. It doesn't seem to be a faulty unit, as others have reported the same issue:
https://answers.presonus.com/36445/audi ... knob-issue

I like PreSonus (main DAW is Studio One), but the Audiobox does have a few quality and design issues.

AdvancedFollower wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:02 pm

Have you tried running a signal into the Input, with the Mixer knob fully at Playback? That seems to be the issue here - The mixer knob doesn't fully silence the direct monitoring of the inputs, even when turned fully clockwise. It doesn't seem to be a faulty unit, as others have reported the same issue:
https://answers.presonus.com/36445/audi ... knob-issue

I like PreSonus (main DAW is Studio One), but the Audiobox does have a few quality and design issues.
Thanks for the link, this is an evidence there is a technical design issue. I sent several tickets to Presonus and they asked me each time to send my hardware configuration, that's useless because it is not the issue. It seems Presonus is perfectly aware of this issue but doesn't want to admit it.
If I run a signal into the Input for example an analogue synth, with the Mixer knob fully at Playback, I still can hear the synth signal even if the audio interface is not connected to the computer so this is not a matter of hearing the sound coming out of the DAW. That's what I told to Presonus support and told them it is not Ok but they don't reply.

Have you tried muting the channel you are recording into? So you hear only the input from the external source while recording ...

thecontrolcentre wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:39 pm Have you tried muting the channel you are recording into? So you hear only the input from the external source while recording ...
yes but if I mute the channel, I can only hear the input signal without the effect inserted in the mixer channel.
And this is not only an issue when recording but also when playing hardware synth through the DAW.

Which audio interface would you recommend with at least 2 inline inputs, midi in/out and able to completely silence the monitoring input ?
Budget 200 €.

Is this one Ok ?
https://www.thomann.de/de/behringer_umc404hd.htm

My NI AK1 has direct monitoring with an on/off switch as well as a gain (volume) knob.

I received no helpfull reply from Presonus support.
They keep asking me the same question about my computer configuration which I had already sent in a previous ticket.
I was fed up with this audio unit, 3 tickets sent to Presonus support so I brought back the audiobox to the shop owner for a reimboursement. :x

dupont wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:49 pm Which audio interface would you recommend with at least 2 inline inputs, midi in/out and able to completely silence the monitoring input ?
Budget 200 €.

Is this one Ok ?
That's the one I got recently to replace my Audiobox 96, not because of the signal bleeding issue, but because I needed more inputs. Works absolutely fine here. I've only had it for a couple of weeks, so I can't say how well the pots etc. will last over time, but so far it feels solid.

One issue I found is that the preamps are a fair bit quieter than on the Audiobox. Works fine with my Deepmind through the XLR inputs, but my UNO synth through TS connector is a bit quiet, even with the gain turned all the way up and the switch in Instr. position.

AdvancedFollower wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:20 am
dupont wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:49 pm Which audio interface would you recommend with at least 2 inline inputs, midi in/out and able to completely silence the monitoring input ?
Budget 200 €.

Is this one Ok ?
That's the one I got recently to replace my Audiobox 96, not because of the signal bleeding issue, but because I needed more inputs. Works absolutely fine here. I've only had it for a couple of weeks, so I can't say how well the pots etc. will last over time, but so far it feels solid.

One issue I found is that the preamps are a fair bit quieter than on the Audiobox. Works fine with my Deepmind through the XLR inputs, but my UNO synth through TS connector is a bit quiet, even with the gain turned all the way up and the switch in Instr. position.
Thanks for the feedback. I put it on the list. is the midi interface fine ?
also this one is more expensive but of better quality I think.
https://www.thomann.de/gb/focusrite_sca ... nd_gen.htm

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”