Issue With Chicken Systems Translator 6

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Post your question here. Maybe someone can help you.

/C
ANALOG DEEP HOUSE 2 for U-HE DIVA
HARDWARE SAMPLER FANATIC - Akai S1100/S950/Z8 - Casio FZ20m - Emu Emax I - Ensoniq ASR10/EPS

I had asked them whether Translator 6 would translate an AKAI S1000/3000 CD-ROM to S5000 all in one go - Partitions, Instruments etc. rather than having to individually select partitions or instruments one at a time. The goal here is to get everything on an HD and ditch the CD-ROMS. Any help appreciated and it wasn't clear in the manual I found online!

KEv

Hi KEv :-)

1 - Good advice: First make images (Virtual Drives) of all your AKAI S1000/3000 CD-ROMs. Because Data will be save on your computer and doesn't get unreadable as your CD-ROMs can get with age.

1.1 Select Proprietary Drives on the left in the tree browser. Your inserted S1000/3000 disc should appear in the middle window of Translator 6.

1.2. Translator 6 > Menu 'Operations' > Make Virtual Drive... etc. ...

--------------------------------------------------

2 - Converting AKAI S1000/S3000 Images

2.1. Put all images in the Translator 6 appropriate folder: Menu 'Operations' > Open Images Folder ...

2.2 After that press Refresh in the tree browser on the left and select the Virtual Drives entry. All images should appear in the middle window.

2.3 Select All and hit Translate button

2.4 Select target format AKAI S5000 etc. ...

---------------------------------------------------

So you should be able to convert a whole image in a one go. You'll be asked for name typing after an image is converted.

I've had a sales question submitted through the ChickenSys website this past weekend.
We've found your webform email (via some guessing since we did not know your email address or full name) - no excuse for not responding, but that's a rarity for us, which is exceptional since we commonly get 50+ emails a day. It just slipped through the cracks. We did respond to your Twitter message, and I asked you to email again and give specifics.

Regarding "defensive", any time people speak in accusatory tone or words, ANY REPLY sounds defensive - it's how written language works.

Regarding the answer given here, I couldn't have said it better. =) Thanks for the assist.
Last edited by chickeneps on Thu Jul 04, 2019 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Garth Hjelte
Chicken Systems, Inc.
support@chickensys.com
http://www.chickensys.com

Etienne, thanks for the very helpful response. It seems I will be able to complete the task with this software. Much appreciated.

KEv

Just to add some specifics, Translator does something very cool internally with Akai S1000/3000 -> Akai S5000 translations, it actually doesn't "translate" but does a direct data structure swap. The S5000 data structures are very similar to the S1000/3000, so instead of passing it through our AI engine (Advance Interpretation), we just reorganize the data that is already there. There are a couple modifications, like stereo sample support and that we kick out the special WAVE files the S5000 uses, and other things, but otherwise you get the same organization of Keygroups and Zones etc.

We just finished something similar with MPC - you can now take MPC Renaissance XPM files and downward convert them to any lower MPC, and it does the same reorganization, since (at least down to MPC1000) it's a very similar data structure. Even the QLinks stay persistent.
Garth Hjelte
Chicken Systems, Inc.
support@chickensys.com
http://www.chickensys.com

Thanks Garth, so it sounds like the S1000/3000 --> 5000 conversions are very faithful then. Good to know. :)

KEv

In their newsletter dated June 27th 2019, Chicken Systems wrote:

"Regarding Translator, we announced Version 6.2 earlier this year, featuring new formats such as Akai S9x, Roland S5x, and Emu Emax, along with so exciting Synclavier additions.
Due to some intervening projects, the release has been delayed. The good news is that we are back on track with this update, and we are shooting for mid-July 2019.

In the meantime we are putting out one last v6.1 update that addresses all the minor bug reports given to us since January. This will be out Wednesday July 3rd.
In anticipation for macOS 10.15 which likely will not run 32-bit applications, we are upgrading our entire product line to complete 64-bit compatibility. We are also taking this time to include some changes that we've always wanted to incorporate. "

Unsurprisingly July 3rd came and went and...surprise surprise! No update or explanation...

They are embarrassing themselves now.

They have finally released the update

This version seems pretty stable now for the things that am working on not bad cheers!!

In that June 27th newsletter Chicken Systems wrote: "Regarding Translator, we announced Version 6.2 earlier this year, featuring new formats such as Akai S9x, Roland S5x, and Emu Emax, along with so exciting Synclavier additions.
Due to some intervening projects, the release has been delayed. The good news is that we are back on track with this update, and we are shooting for mid-July 2019."

We are now in August and no 6.2. Has anyone received an explanation as to what is going on as the only thing they seem to be shooting for is the breeze.

You are way too optimistic about anyone keeping their deadlines :lol:

Nothing ever goes to plan. A couple of friends of mine told me their new house would be ready to move in the beginning of May. At the end of May I met them and then they told me that there were some unexpected problems, but they would surely move in at the first of June. Now we are in August and they still haven't moved in :hihi:

That's how deadlines work. They are more of an optimistic wish rather than anything to do with reality.

/C
ANALOG DEEP HOUSE 2 for U-HE DIVA
HARDWARE SAMPLER FANATIC - Akai S1100/S950/Z8 - Casio FZ20m - Emu Emax I - Ensoniq ASR10/EPS

Of course - but all we ask is to be kept in the loop. If the train was late, you had to get to work on time and no explanation was given by the train company, how would you feel?

lxworld wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:17 am Of course - but all we ask is to be kept in the loop. If the train was late, you had to get to work on time and no explanation was given by the train company, how would you feel?
If the train is late, then there is no point posting every 2mins to point out that the train is late. It's not going to make it get here any faster.

Besides, isn't it better that they are spending their time & energy fixing the problems, rather than continually stopping to provide "updates."
My main tools: Kontakt, Omnisphere, Samplemodeling + Audio Modeling. Akai VIP = godsend. Tari's libraries also rock.

I don't think that Chicken Systems owes anybody an explanation regarding timelines related to future products or product versions. Nice to have, yes, but the reality is that you bought a product at a point in time for the features it had at that time. You did not buy a promise.

Return to “Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries”