The "NEW" Plugin Alliance?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Sport is an interesting way of looking at it, I think there is at least some truth to that.

In more perfect world, we only buy plugins when priced at $29. Unfortunately, not everyone can do that because they may need a plugin for work and they don't have enough substitute plugins to replace the need for buying at retail.

Someone should mention to those FB people that freedom of speech is not censored here.
...and the electron responded, "what wall?"

Scotty wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:16 am Agreed ... somewhere in the middle. It must be hell trying to figure out a strategy that works in this climate. $29.00 bucks is the new standard like or not and that may just not be enough for some developers to hang in there.
I don't agree with the basic premise that $29 is the new standard. Waves does $29, so did Plugin Alliance. Both overprice their regular prices.

I think Plugin Alliance/Brainworx would've been quite successful, and even gotten a ton of goodwill if some of those $249/$299/$349 plugins were permanently repriced to $99. Then going forward, maybe do the occasional 30% off sale. Maybe once a year, do a 50% off sale on some plugins. Take your work seriously, take your pricing seriously, and the market will take you seriously. No one screams about pricing when pricing is fair and marketing practices aren't perceived to punish early adopters. There are a lot of companies doing very well in this market without resorting to these tactics.

Had they gone that route and re-priced their plugins, either instead of, or even in addition to a subscription, there'd have been a small amount of moaning ("I just spent $349 last week on X") but I think most people here would have respected that type of move. When they sent the email saying something to the effect of "the market changed and we're adjusting prices to reflect that," they made it seem like that was exactly what they were building towards.

Maybe this will be wildly successful for them, if not, hopefully they can see the light and recover in time. I won't be subscribing but I may be the occasional plugin if there's a reasonable price. But I'm not spending $349 on an effect plugin, when I get hardware for not much more or in some cases, less. That's how the market has changed.

I think it's hat for anyone to guess what a suitable price could be. It should be cheap enough to tempt people and keep them away from piracy and it has to be high enough to keep the company well.
To make such a decision one must know how many plugins PA - in this case - sells.
Also you have to know, how much money the make during sales and during regular pricing.
Not even speaking of their spendings.

Maybe it's 99$, maybe it's far less or more. Let's say, that I'm a good example, just for fun. I assume, that I spend more money in the end, if plugins are at 29-39$, than if they were at 99$. 29$ is still in the no-brainer-range. A small reward for a decent week or whatever. For more than 50$, I really wanna have it or at least think I need it.

Fair points .. if not "the standard" certainly $29.00 puts some serious downward pressure on the baseline pricing for most developers.

GEC changed the world. World wide market correction. Money is worth less for all but the upper class. People don’t have as much money to spend. Just look at what business flourish under a subscription and which don’t. Look at which companies can demand high prices for their products and which can’t.

Business have to be careful though of caving to customer demands and racing to the bottom. It’s difficult to recover after that. Few companies can pull it off. Samsung comes to mind. But for the rest, Business is barely profitable if even sustainable.

I bet PA is cutting their loses after racing to the bottom (hey pick a pack people have your plugs for free; heavy hitters it was nice knowing you) and are now focusing solely on new consumers and a successful professional clientele that could care less about $200 a year and ownership. They want secure and steady income and believe this is their best move, their best way to recover after the race.

For all the critique, there are some people that just won’t care about PA principles. They want the shiny new toys, or they just want what they think are the best tools. They’re not really all that concerned about the principles or how the company does business. And if they get burned or go broke and quit one day, there’s likely someone new who thinks throwing down $200 for a suite of “professional” plugins is no big deal (never mind whether they’ll actually use all the plugins, the value proposition works for them).

I wonder whether ALL software will one day go subscription the more people get used to it. And as we grow older and age out of the target consumer demographic, perhaps those new consumers who replace us won’t think a subscription is strange at all, just as we don’t think a revocable software license is strange. That license scheme is what made Microsoft a once dominant force and rich. Maybe that’s what will happen with subscriptions too.

Msg from Dirk copy.png
still waiting copy.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

keep waiting. But Dirk seems to be spot on with praising the new and banning the old.

Mathematics wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 4:27 am Msg from Dirk copy.png

still waiting copy.jpg
They do have new, permanently lower prices. And they did send out a voucher this month :shrug:

Aside, from Opticom, Masterdesk, Townhouse, Iron, and mostly all the plugins most people actually want - I quote "established plugins", yes...they have been lowered. They just happen to be the ones I don't want. Hmmm. I was hoping to get something like the Shadow Hills Comp at that permanently lowered price. I guess we'll have to wait for that to happen.

Mathematics wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 4:42 am Aside, from Opticom, Masterdesk, Townhouse, Iron, and mostly all the plugins most people actually want - I quote "established plugins", yes...they have been lowered. They just happen to be the ones I don't want. Hmmm. I was hoping to get something like the Shadow Hills Comp at that permanently lowered price. I guess we'll have to wait for that to happen.
Just pointed out that none of the staements you undelined, which he wrote, were false. Of course, that is definitely part of the frustration i.e that everything he said is 'technically' true, but in actuality it all feels pretty underwhelming.

True, they're just the ones that everyone that everyone had better expectations about, hence the waiting.

No shortage of entitled cheapskates around here!

The last few posts are an evolution from the last 40 pages of comments; so, it would seem like that only reading the ending of a book.

Winstontaneous wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:25 am No shortage of entitled cheapskates around here!
I think it’s more a case that people don’t like being taken for fools, overhyped marketing underdelivering, a blatant discount code scam and an unpopular subscription model is bound to wind up a few people.

My personal experience with PA is just very bad updating and bug fixing (BYOME) and whilst there are some good small developers in the workhouse, I will in future work with companies that support their plugins directly rather than through a 3rd party....there are so many dedicated VST web shops now I see no need for PA at all.
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

Return to “Effects”