Zone by Audiaire

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
The Earth Sounds Expansion Zone

mgw38 wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:43 pm
SLiC wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:49 pm :clap: Superb move top drop iLok, I hope a lot more people try this great instrument now, keep it up... :tu:
It now calls home, so if Audiaire ever folds you will have a problem.
As long as they don’t sell to Apple and drop Windows support I feel quite safe.
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

It's $99 on your site, but $139 on Splice. Why? If the Splice price would be same $99, I would think about this more :shrug:

keel wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:01 pm It's $99 on your site, but $139 on Splice. Why? If the Splice price would be same $99, I would think about this more :shrug:
I have no idea where you’re getting this figure from!

keel wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:20 pm Wanted to try the demo and for that, you need to make an account... :dog: So no thanks... :roll:
If entering your email address to instantly try an unlimited virtually fully featured demo is too much work stick to a tin whistle!

I
t now calls home, so if Audiaire ever folds you will have a problem.
Tell me one piece of software that doesn’t call home? The alternative is you pay for the development and I’ll give you the software free! :)

Sharooz wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:23 pm Tell me one piece of software that doesn’t call home? The alternative is you pay for the development and I’ll give you the software free! :)
Just not a big fan of a system where the functionality of my license requires there is a server operational on your end.
Follow me on Youtube for videos on spatial and immersive audio production.

The drop of Ilok/Pace is a good step, implement another system that will make the user dependent of the company in order for the product they paid for to work (You only have the product as long as the company is there = You don't have product) creates almost the same problem.

Don't get me wrong, is a good step that you are listening to feedbacks and perhaps trying to do all of this in a good way. But this is about the investment the common user does and the unavoidable situations that can/will happen when system fail, crash, system updates or other more unfortunate situations ext ext.

If you could develop a system where the common user has their keys (independet of the company) and can do backups in external hard drive or memory would be the best alternative. Accident are very frequent and from here to 5, 10, 20, 30 years I want to make sure my investment still works if the company (that I respect and support of course) is there or not.

Is that feeling of Everything Depends on the Company for the product I paid for to work what is a real serious issue. And never, absolutely never do the same other companies are doing simply because is "normal" for them, not always mainstream trends are doing the right thing really.

With all respect.

I did not realize that there is a connection to Sample Magic. I generally only mind if such a proprietary licensing system operates in the vacuum of a tiny developer. I'm ok with NI, Waves or PA plugins calling home to their server. There is critical mass behind those. But there recently have been many small developers popping up with a great product only to disappear again very quickly afterwards.

Who do we email if there is a technical issue?
Ok I updated and it’s doing some weird shiz, it’s killing my midi controller, il load up the instrument, play a note on default patch then start cycling through, il get 4-8 presets in (furthest was raindrops) before my controller stops triggering notes, I have to then go into preferences and toggle the on switch for my native instruments s49 midi controller then it resumes, never happened to me before and only with zone

It’s the strangest thing ever

As we’ve stated numerous times support@audiaire.com and the very clear form on the page. I’ve actually personally been in touch with you to grant you a student discount, so unless you’ve forgotten it you have my personal email too. Thanks
Last edited by Sharooz on Sat Jul 20, 2019 8:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

mgw38 wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 2:11 am I did not realize that there is a connection to Sample Magic. I generally only mind if such a proprietary licensing system operates in the vacuum of a tiny developer. I'm ok with NI, Waves or PA plugins calling home to their server. There is critical mass behind those. But there recently have been many small developers popping up with a great product only to disappear again very quickly afterwards.
Where is there a “connection with Sample Magic”. Please can you clarify this statement?

I meant you also founded Sample Magic so there is a track record of successful businesses. You appear to know what you are doing. That is not necessarily the case with most of the new developers.

I would like to hope there is a reasonable amount of experience behind what we’re doing as a developer. I can’t really get the logic behind apparently favouring the cumbersome and bulky license management software of some of the developers you mentioned. I’ve made music for almost 20 years and find some of those systems which require a separate install, in some cases charge a yearly subscription fee, require physical dongles, frequent updates, sit idle in the back of your operating system and waste CPU to be a drain on my creativity and resources. But ho hum, if that gives you more confidence go for it! We’ll continue doing what we do, I hope cheaply and well - and try our best not to fold. We will still require an email address however, because y’know it’s important to us know who has downloaded the actual trial so we can more efficiently serve them should they need support.

There are really only three ways a license can be managed. Either entirely on the user side, or on the developer side, or not at all. What NI, Waves and PA share with your approach is that the license management is proprietary and managed on the developers end. Your server keeps track of the authorizations. I, the user, cannot authorize the software without you, the developer, maintaining a functional license server.

How the license management is implemented, wether through complex installers or just a simple one time calling home authorization, is a completely different story. But I generally prefer solutions where I am in full control over the license asset, regardless if this is on a dongle based solution or not.

Sharooz wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 8:57 am I would like to hope there is a reasonable amount of experience behind what we’re doing as a developer. I can’t really get the logic behind apparently favouring the cumbersome and bulky license management software of some of the developers you mentioned. I’ve made music for almost 20 years and find some of those systems which require a separate install, in some cases charge a yearly subscription fee, require physical dongles, frequent updates, sit idle in the back of your operating system and waste CPU to be a drain on my creativity and resources. But ho hum, if that gives you more confidence go for it! We’ll continue doing what we do, I hope cheaply and well - and try our best not to fold. We will still require an email address however, because y’know it’s important to us know who has downloaded the actual trial so we can more efficiently serve them should they need support.
I think you're missing the point; mgw38 is noting that *trust* is a big factor when considering licence management, and he's more likely to trust well established vendors or those with a long & successful track record, like yourself.

You've been in the game long enough to have seen devs go under, rendering software you've bought unable to be re-authorised. Trust is important.
ABLETON LIVE 12 & PUSH2
Soundcloud: Nation of Korea vs Shitty Dog

Return to “Instruments”