macOS Catalina and 32bit to 64bit adapters?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Since Cataline will only support 64bit apps, does that mean that 32bit apps won't even run in 32bit to 64bit converters? Has anyone tested this?

What adapter / converter exactly? Did you find any?

Your DAW ought to be 64bit for some time already. Are you talking about 32/64 bit adapter for plugins maybe? Is that even an issue on macOS? Heard about it for Windows, but not (yet) on OsX
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

Converters must be 64Bit in macOS Catalina I think.

BertKoor wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:13 pm What adapter / converter exactly? Did you find any?

Your DAW ought to be 64bit for some time already. Are you talking about 32/64 bit adapter for plugins maybe? Is that even an issue on macOS? Heard about it for Windows, but not (yet) on OsX
yes I'm talking about 32bit VST to 64bit Adapters like https://www.soundradix.com/products/32-lives/ 32 Lives

I guess only the devs can tell for sure.

Hmm... there's even thread on the topic on their support forums: https://forum.soundradix.com/t/32-lives ... talina/845
32 Lives is not supported at all under macOS 10.15

As of now we Strongly Advise against upgrading to macOS 10.15 Catalina if you need to run any 32-bit software (or plug-in).

Early tests shows that while install would succeed,
the 32-bit part (which runs the actual plug-in) would fail - meaning your 32-bit plug-ins won’t work at all.

We will use this thread to update on the subject.

Update June 24 2019:
Apple released first Catalina public-beta.
32 Lives and any 32-bit app will break and stop working.

That's what i remembered as well, i think i've read something about it here.

Apple :(

I seriously doubt that 32Lives and other 32bit Plugin adapters will continue to work on Catalina, but I could be wrong.

I myself will not be jumping to Catalina because of 32bit. Not just the plugins, but I have a number of useful programs that are 32bit and unlikely to be ported to 64bit anytime soon, maybe never.
MacPro 5,1 12core x 3.46ghz-96gb MacOS 12.2 (opencore), X32+AES16e-50

JBridge won't work in Catalina (confirmed from DEV), looks like nothing 32bit will run in Catalina

That will simply bind myself latest 10.14. Any newer computer will get a virtual machine running Mojave or Sierra as main OS. There is simply no technical need to block 32-bit apps, the processor can deal with it easily. This is arrogant behaviour which could hardly be topped...
If Cycling74 would support Linux I'd switch...
We'll see, not that I rely on any 32-bit plug-in or app, but it is always fun to play around with them. Apple is blocking the fun part of my box... (Still have Snow Leopard in a VM for PPC apps and even OS 9 with Sheepshaver, though the latter does not connect to Midi...)

The macOS "System Report..." tool has a pretty useful section for sorting out which applications are 64-bit or not. I've been going through them and thankfully many of the stragglers have updated 64-bit versions I never got around to installing. I'm surprised by how many Adobe support apps are still 32-bit though: installers, uninstallers, Creative Cloud application managers, updates/registration notifiers and various other under the hood components. Out of more than 600 programs, less than 40 are still 32-bit and it feels like half of those are by Adobe.

FYI, I could never get Soundradix 32lives to work on High Sierra or Mojave — and not for lack of effort! I particularly wanted to run Sampletank 2 and Mobius Looper but had a few other 32bit plugins lying around. Not a single plugin would work. I bought it as part of a package with Blue Cat Patchwork (which is awesome and has never had any issues) and I never got around to getting a refund for it.

You need a 32-bit host to run 32-bit plug-ins. Bitwig does its trick by glueing several processes together, those who run 32-bit plug-ins are 32-bit and communicate with the 64-bit host...

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”