No More Excuses...Please Help A Wannabe Songwriter

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

wagtunes wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 8:42 pmYou'll notice that I've been here since 2014. I didn't start to use the ignore feature until a couple of weeks ago.
Well, that's not true :shrug:

No, I’ve been blissfully on his foe list for longer than that — ever since I helpfully suggested that it would be simpler and easier if he just put everyone on his foe list and then let each of us “opt-in” to his posts.
Wags did not think that was funny.
s a v e
y o u r
f l o w

Michael L wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:41 pm No, I’ve been blissfully on his foe list for longer than that — ever since I helpfully suggested that it would be simpler and easier if he just put everyone on his foe list and then let each of us “opt-in.”
The reason Wags refers to it as an ignore list is because he's been using the function since it was actually called an ignore list :tu:

Your suggestion was great, btw :D

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:45 pm
Michael L wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:41 pm No, I’ve been blissfully on his foe list for longer than that — ever since I helpfully suggested that it would be simpler and easier if he just put everyone on his foe list and then let each of us “opt-in.”
The reason Wags refers to it as an ignore list is because he's been using the function since it was actually called an ignore list :tu:

If he’s been using the foe list for that long, everyone should be on it by now!

Also, I observed that a few people asked nicely and Wags put them on his foe list, which was a thoughtful gesture.
s a v e
y o u r
f l o w

Michael L wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:50 pm
el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:45 pm

If he’s been using the foe list for that long, everyone should be on it by now!

Also, I observed that a few people asked nicely and Wags put them on his foe list, which was a thoughtful gesture.
Typed "Wagtunes ignore list" into the searchbar on the instruments forum, and:

viewtopic.php?p=6461552#p6461552

Michael L wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 8:26 pm
vurt wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 8:11 pm and most of all, be positive!
and invite collaboration, online or in the studio “zone.” Keith Richards, Bjork, Kanye, or Lizzo, all leave space for others ideas. Sometimes a single suggestion makes a song. Look at the long list of writing credits on many hit songs!
yup, collabs can do wonders too 8)
and a willingness to compromise and take on ideas and criticisms to help produce the best possible song.

i can't wait to go back and read this, but not as much as i can't wait to post in it

people often have this thing where they see the goal but not the field. saying anything never helps, but its what i do:

music industry = industry

life = corrupt

how many years you "try to make it in the business" and "no one tell you why"

they actually give you a cake at the end and say, "thanks chum for being a good sport and never suspecting trickery"

but keep reaching for the stars/carrot, that's the life lesson. don't let the bull teach you teh cloth. you see,

music = industry

there is your friend
wolf in the, wolf in the, wolf in the bend
you come and go, you come and go. amitabha neither a follower nor a leader be tagore "where roads are made i lose my way" where there is certainty, consideration is absent.

epistemology
is such a lovely word
you come and go, you come and go. amitabha neither a follower nor a leader be tagore "where roads are made i lose my way" where there is certainty, consideration is absent.

break industry down and you get in dust tree
no one wants to be in a dusty tree so sit on your hands and chant om till you either become one with the universe or someone says "oi, stop it, you're in the way"

episiotomy isnt such a nice word though :scared:

xoxos wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 3:37 pm epistemology is such a lovely word
Epi - “upon or moving toward”
stem - “a track split into its musical elements”
ology - “a branch of knowledge”
= Knowing how to write a hit song!
s a v e
y o u r
f l o w

wagtunes wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 8:42 pmYou'll notice that I've been here since 2014. I didn't start to use the ignore feature until a couple of weeks ago.
More bullshit excuses :roll:

This is from May 2016 ... more than 3 years ago.
wagtunes wrote: Thu May 12, 2016 11:02 am I'm done. Say whatever you want. I won't be responding any further since you're on my ignore list anyway.

and here's two words,

cosa
nostra

yes. two words. cosa, nostra. can you know what this mean? i am tell you.

it mean, Our thing.

not you thing right holmes. Our thing.

please remit $79 with your demo for "processing".

people lie. people lie. people lie. people lie. people are liars. liars holmes. people are liars.

i'm gonna be thinking of that for years you know,

61, maybe rap

Back to page one, the answer is networking. The more industry people you get to know, the more likely you are to be introduced to the right people who can help you. Make friends and acquaintances with studio owners, producers, musicians, singers, songwriters, A&R people, record company executives, and the people who do their dry cleaning. You want a magic bullet? Do good work, send demos out into the ether, and cross your fingers. You want to make it in the industry? Become part of the industry. I’m sorry, I know that isn’t what you want to hear, but it’s the reality. Who you know is just as important as what you know. I have a family friend who writes songs for Beyoncé and a bunch of other A-listers. She didn’t get her big break by mailing off demos to record labels.
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

deastman wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:49 pm Back to page one, the answer is networking. The more industry people you get to know, the more likely you are to be introduced to the right people who can help you. Make friends and acquaintances with studio owners, producers, musicians, singers, songwriters, A&R people, record company executives, and the people who do their dry cleaning. You want a magic bullet? Do good work, send demos out into the ether, and cross your fingers. You want to make it in the industry? Become part of the industry. I’m sorry, I know that isn’t what you want to hear, but it’s the reality. Who you know is just as important as what you know. I have a family friend who writes songs for Beyoncé and a bunch of other A-listers. She didn’t get her big break by mailing off demos to record labels.
Trust me, you're not telling me something I don't already know. In my 42 years of doing this, I've hooked up with the agent who brought Levine and Brown (Tony Orlando & Dawn fame) together and the guy who discovered Bon Jovi (Steve Zuckerman). I hooked up with a guy who wrote for The 4 Seasons. My mother was in radio as a talk show host. None of my contacts, none of their contacts, made a hill of beans worth of difference.

Point is, having contacts is still no guarantee. There are no guarantees. 1% of the people who try to make it in this business make it.

Ultimately, it comes down to priorities. Do I want to spend what's left of my life traveling around the country hoping to get somebody to give me the time of day or do I spend it enjoying the time I have left. And yeah, I get that it's one or the other. Plus, I have responsibilities here. I can't just pick myself up and leave town. There are people here depending on me.

Anyway, maybe starting this thread was a mistake to begin with. I was hoping for an "easy" answer but it's clear that one doesn't exist. Hell, an insanely difficult answer doesn't even exist. This is without a doubt the toughest business on the planet.

Like I didn't already know that.

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”