Yamaha CS-80 vst

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm afraid I've got bad news for you. :cry: :D

Stefken wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 1:55 pm Of course knowing how to play is relative.
It is not relevant to music production unless you mean by if player knows how to play, he knows how scales and progression work. But unfortunetly for that you dont need to be a player. You can just as easely write music, melodies just by that.

Also dont forget team-work. At labels (at least im working with) its quite common to share between producers music in progress and ask for feedback about melodies and how they can be improved to be accessible to wider variety of people. Doing that you also improve your skill.

Stefken wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 6:38 pmI'm afraid I've got bad news for you. :cry: :D
Well, I can at least I can properly claim to be a film composer! :D

{He says, while randomly plotting notes in the piano roll of his DAW with a mouse, while occasionally glancing at a movie playing on TV.}
I'm involved with photography & audio. For more info, take a look at my site:
GlenVision.com

:D

Elektronisch wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 11:31 amSo according to you he lied in his masterclass. And ofcourse you are 100% sure of that its a fact because?
Well, I'd certainly trust Wikipedia over some commercial venture designed to get people to part with their money. Of course, I have no idea what he said but if you were to ask me if I could play, I'd say "no" because on the continuum of keyboard playing ability I'd rank below any 10 year old kid who has had a few piano lessons. That doesn't mean I can't bash out a bassline with bad timing or hold a chord for four bars. So I imagine it was a bit of modesty or maybe an off-hand remark designed to make the point that you don't need to be a concert pianist to make a hit song (assuming he's has had one, of course). i.e. When he said he couldn't play, he most likely meant he had no formal training.

You have to remember the context of the discussion, which was that unless you were a keyboard player, you would have no use for a preset that included any velocity modulation.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Stefken wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:22 am
BONES wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:57 am A producer who can't play is going to produce shit
BONES wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 1:09 am And, for the record, I don't have any keyboard playing skills.
BONES, burying himself....again.

You can imagine my surprise

How so? Those two statements are perfectly congruent. I can play a keyboard but not with any skill.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

If the worlds motivated and hard working people only did
what they were best at, there would be lots of unfinished projects,
and lots of burnouts with chattering teeth in darkened rooms.

Concentrating at what you're good at makes sense, but there's
room, and often need, to branch out, fill in the gaps, fix things,
invade, explore, and conquer new territory, get the basics of
new technology, gleaning what applies to the job at hand.

I had to learn things today...on the :x :evil: WEEKEND :evil: :x

I'll be lucky to remember it on Thursday :roll: :cry: :roll:

BONES wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 3:34 am I can play a keyboard but not with any skill.

BONES wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 3:34 am How so? Those two statements are perfectly congruent. I can play a keyboard but not with any skill.
Well still producer who cant play produces shit, so meaning playing a keyboard without any skill is not far from producer who cant play that produces shit :lol:

Still that is one of the most absurd statements ive heard in a while :lol:

Only because you choose to interpret it as such. I NEVER play anything into my sequencer by hand. NEVER. I may occasionally come up with an idea while playing the keys but I will always put that idea into my sequencer with a mouse. Therefore, I don't need to be able to play more than what I need for live performance, which is basically single held notes or, occasionally, simple melodic phrases. A few weeks rehearsal before a show is all it takes to be able to do that reliably enough. OTOH, if you couldn't play a keyboard at all, you wouldn't be able to program notes in a piano roll, either, because at the most basic level both require the same knowledge - black keys, white keys, octaves. If you have that knowledge in one area, you can use it in the other.

Again, you have to keep it all in context. It was never an absolute statement, it was in response to a specific comment - if you can't play keyboards, you don't need an MPE controller. From my perspective, as someone who can't really play but gets a great deal of use/pleasure/satisfaction from a Roli Seaboard, anyone who can't find some value in a controller like a Seaboard would have to be someone whose understanding was so lacking that they wouldn't be able to put notes into a piano roll either.

Just learn to play the instrument for god sakes. I used to just use the mouse but piano lessons saved my life

No matter what skill level, playing adds expression. Constructing can do that as well, but is so much slower and often just doesn‘t happen for that reason. If you add expression by playing, you will develop skills over time, even if you don‘t practice a lot.
BONES claiming that he has no skills, is only in comparison with some other highly trained musicians. If you listen to his music, you know he got skills...

Again playing skills has nothing to do with producing skills. But you probably cannot inprint that to the old stubborn guys.

Tj Shredder wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 5:34 am If you listen to his music, you know he got skills...
I dont hear playing skills in there at all, 0. There is some producing skill.

Return to “Instruments”