FXpansion releases Cypher2

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Cypher (DCAM: Synth Squad) Cypher2

Echoes in the Attic wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:42 am
Angus_FX wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:14 am
yeah that's highly ghetto and compromises the ability to make motion sequences with these instruments
Until quite recently, no other software synth had TransMod-like workflow, which is one reason why you wouldn't have seen this behaviour elsewhere & perhaps why the beta testers didn't think to report it -- they probably hadn't seen Hive 2 or Pigments, or if they had were under NDA at the time.
As far as assigning a modulator to a control by dragging a ring around it to assign the mod amount, Massive had been doing this for some time and when you move the modulated control up or down the full range and back, the mod amount stays the same and the ring keeps its range regardless of where you've moved the control. Same for Roli's Equator, it keeps it modulation when moving the control. Those are just a couple that I have with a similar mod assignment, but I'm sure others behave correctly out there. Anyways, good to hear you guys will look at this for a subsequent release.
I'm glad I found these posts, I thought I was the only one with this modulation issue, it's bizarre I've never come across synth (hardware or software) that affects the modulation as you move a parameter. I also reported it to Roli, they came back with "I have looked into this and repro'd and it does look like this is a bug. I have passed this onto the software team to address in a future update."

Hats of to the team that built Cypher, it is an amazing piece of development but I just hope the update comes soon, cypher2 is not usable in this state.

So what happened to Amber, the Pad instrument from Synth Sqaud ? It got discontinued for some reason ?

Halonmusic wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2019 1:39 amWell maybe he/she think its the best. Ever heard of opinions? ;)
He/she?! Talking about other people in third person is shit. If you have to say something to me, do it. Otherwise shut up....

Angus_FX wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:14 amUntil quite recently, no other software synth had TransMod-like workflow, which is one reason why you wouldn't have seen this behaviour elsewhere & perhaps why the beta testers didn't think to report it -- they probably hadn't seen Hive 2 or Pigments, or if they had were under NDA at the time.
The original Massive is not "quite recently", and it works as you'd expect it to (not as you wouldn't expect it to which is how Cypher/Strobe work - or rather don't work). Modulation amount should remain constant regardless of the parameter's baseline value.

The new Massive X though works completely not as you expect . Ha! :D

Ketching! :harp:

Stefken wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 10:29 pm The new Massive X though works completely not as you expect . Ha! :D

Ketching! :harp:
Yeah, NI have never released buggy software! :lol:

Some biblical verse about casting stones?

For the record I love Kontakt and Cypher 2. I use these in almost every song these days. We're lucky to live now, Imagine being 70 in the 60's, and only being able to maybe afford a few stomp boxes for your cheap organ? Synths being far too expensive. We get so much competition we get them chomping at each others throats on KVR! :lol:

Rastkovic wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:34 pm
Halonmusic wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2019 1:39 amWell maybe he/she think its the best. Ever heard of opinions? ;)
He/she?! Talking about other people in third person is shit. If you have to say something to me, do it. Otherwise shut up....
Go suck a donkey
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

EvilDragon wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:50 pm
Angus_FX wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:14 amUntil quite recently, no other software synth had TransMod-like workflow, which is one reason why you wouldn't have seen this behaviour elsewhere & perhaps why the beta testers didn't think to report it -- they probably hadn't seen Hive 2 or Pigments, or if they had were under NDA at the time.
The original Massive is not "quite recently", and it works as you'd expect it to (not as you wouldn't expect it to which is how Cypher/Strobe work - or rather don't work). Modulation amount should remain constant regardless of the parameter's baseline value.
Exactly. I don’t mean to crap on fxpansion but I’m just really surprised that this wasn’t caught. Looking forward to trying it when they fix it. Hopefully sooner than later.

Nice surprise... looking forwards to trying the demo later.
Those audio demos sound promising... I'm always happy to see included FM capabilities!

hotmitts wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:59 pm So what happened to Amber, the Pad instrument from Synth Sqaud ? It got discontinued for some reason ?
I just PMed the devs about this. Love that synth.
THIS SIGNATURE DOES NOT VIOLATE THE KVR FORUM RULES.

@lagavulin16 you did..? Nothing came through to me.

The main reason a refreshed Amber hasn't seen the light of day yet is that it's inherently difficult to square its paraphonic nature with the MPE (= MIDI Polyphonic Expression) technology which is the backbone of ROLI's product line. (Amber's filters are monophonic, and its oscillator is a divide-down type - making something which properly respects this legacy while also allowing full expressiveness from a Seaboard or Lightpad is extremely challenging).

Developments on TransMod synths continue - have any of you tried out ROLI Studio Player which combines Strobe2, Cypher2 & Equator with a very unique arpeggiator/chorder and secondary effects chain?
This account is dormant, I am no longer employed by FXpansion / ROLI.

Find me on LinkedIn or elsewhere if you need to get in touch.

Angus_FX wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:10 am Developments on TransMod synths continue - have any of you tried out ROLI Studio Player which combines Strobe2, Cypher2 & Equator with a very unique arpeggiator/chorder and secondary effects chain?
Thanks for the Amber explanation, and I agree it is difficult. I appreciate the Amber chorus found its way into Cypher 2.

Can't seem to get Studio Player. The Connect software isn't offering it. I don't have any ROLI hardware.

Angus_FX wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:10 amThe main reason a refreshed Amber hasn't seen the light of day yet is that it's inherently difficult to square its paraphonic nature with the MPE (= MIDI Polyphonic Expression) technology which is the backbone of ROLI's product line. (Amber's filters are monophonic, and its oscillator is a divide-down type - making something which properly respects this legacy while also allowing full expressiveness from a Seaboard or Lightpad is extremely challenging).
Paraphonic in MPE should not be a huge problem. If the filter is strictly linear, it should sound the same if you spend a filter per voice, if not you could still have one filter for all voices. Or just the nonlinear part as monophonic. Or a choice between both modes. Maybe even one filter per voice and an additional filter for all voices, just duplicate the monophonic part... (I know sounds easy but is hard...; - )
Angus_FX wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:10 am Developments on TransMod synths continue - have any of you tried out ROLI Studio Player which combines Strobe2, Cypher2 & Equator with a very unique arpeggiator/chorder and secondary effects chain?
Yes I tried, doesn’t make sense for me. Its a proprietary solution for a non existent “problem”. I have Bitwig and can do the same out of the box. NKI and VIP seems to be along the same lines, but includes 3rd party plugins...
Maybe I don’t get why its there in the first place at all...

Paraphonic in MPE should not be a huge problem. If the filter is strictly linear, it should sound the same if you spend a filter per voice, if not you could still have one filter for all voices.
Perhaps, but in any case it's not just about the filters. If you can tell me how to polyphonically pitch-bend a phase-locked divide-down oscillator model without breaking everything, I'm all ears.

It's also a more fundamental question of what the synth should do.. Amber's sound is its divide down oscillator, formant filter and chorus unit. All of these are monophonic. What should they do in response to polyphonic pressure or slide gestures?
This account is dormant, I am no longer employed by FXpansion / ROLI.

Find me on LinkedIn or elsewhere if you need to get in touch.

Angus_FX wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 1:58 pm
Paraphonic in MPE should not be a huge problem. If the filter is strictly linear, it should sound the same if you spend a filter per voice, if not you could still have one filter for all voices.
Perhaps, but in any case it's not just about the filters. If you can tell me how to polyphonically pitch-bend a phase-locked divide-down oscillator model without breaking everything, I'm all ears.

It's also a more fundamental question of what the synth should do.. Amber's sound is its divide down oscillator, formant filter and chorus unit. All of these are monophonic. What should they do in response to polyphonic pressure or slide gestures?
Make the synthesized strings come to life, like a real acoustic string orchestra of course!
Synth strings are modeled on real strings, so go back to the original inspiration and draw from there!
Combine your results with an upgraded synth string engine (original Amber wasn't that great in terms of chorus), and you'll have something interesting which no one else has.
"The educated person is one who knows how to find out what he does not know" - George Simmel
“It's what you learn after you know it all that counts.” - John Wooden

Return to “Instruments”