Strange timeline corruption in Studio One 4.5.1 with Scratchpad view

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

While using the previous build of Studio One 4.5 (*NOT* the most recent 4.5.2.53232 release), I somehow managed to trigger some unusual corruption in the timeline of my Scratch Pads. The issue has not resurfaced since updating to the latest release, but I did not see any specific mention of the defect being fixed.

Although I have been unable to reproduce the corruption (yet), I sort of remember what I was doing at the time. I was using the Drag MIDI feature of Plugin Boutique Scaler to drag a chord progression into a fresh Scratch Pad I had created in Studio One. I remember after releasing the mouse button, it looked like the MIDI clip had not been created. I repeated the drag-n-drop operation again to a different track in the Scratch Pad, and then if I remember correctly the timeline auto-scrolled into the infernal reaches of Studio One: crazy-high bar numbers in the thousands that actually became negative numbers as you continued to scroll to the right. When I found the MIDI clip, it was a bit of a challenge to get it back to the bar numbers at the front of the timeline. Attempting to use the mouse scroll wheel and the track rewind button to get back to the front of the timeline was like fighting equilibrium; very frustrating to deal with.

I only mention this whole incident because I think that this timeline corruption may have exposed how the Scratch Pad feature is actually implemented in Studio One. It would seem that the Scratch Pad bars exist in a timeline continuum that would normally be unreachable in the regular timeline; the crazy bar number starting locations would normally map back to the bar one origin. I think that the actual starting bar number increases for each Scratch Pad that is created. For example, Scratch Pad #1 might actually begin at bar# 32768 in the timeline; Scratch Pad #2 might begin at bar# 65535; Scratch Pad #n might begin at bar# ‭-268435456‬; etc.

I will attach a ZIP of a severely pared-down version of the corrupted Studio One project; it may not still be corrupted anymore.
Corrupted.zip
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
[Core i7 8700 | 32GB DDR4 | Win11 x64 | Studio One 6 Pro | FL Studio ASIO/WASAPI ]

There have been numerouss scratchpad related bugs ( altering the temp envelope etc ) which should have been fixed by the latetest release .
I am discovering new scratchpad bugs , more or less related to your issue .

Create a few clips , drag them over to scratchpad , delete scratchpad content and export the project as a midi file
When the midi file is imported in another daw, project length is RIDICULOUSLY long , I over 100 hour
Some say that the scratchpad in studio one is in fact an extension of the main project window , which would prove the instabilities
Bottom line is , scratchpad still f**ks up the arrangement time line
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

gentleclockdivider wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 10:35 amThere have been numerous Scratch Pad related bugs (altering the temp envelope, etc.) which should have been fixed by the latest release.

I am discovering new Scratch Pad bugs, more or less related to your issue.

Create a few clips, drag them over to Scratch Pad, delete Scratch Pad content and export the project as a MIDI file.

When the MIDI file is imported in another DAW, the project length is RIDICULOUSLY long: over 100 hours.

Some say that the scratchpad in Studio One is in fact an extension of the main project window, which would prove the instabilities.

Bottom line: Scratch Pad still f**ks up the arrangement time line.
Well, it would seem that the Studio One Scratch Pad functionality is only half-baked and needs to be put back in the oven to bake a bit longer. :dog:

Thank you for sharing. Your personal testimony indicates that the defects in Scratch Pad run deeper than what I myself have directly uncovered thus far.
[Core i7 8700 | 32GB DDR4 | Win11 x64 | Studio One 6 Pro | FL Studio ASIO/WASAPI ]

You might want to post your bug on the presonus forum , just to raise some more awareness about the scratchpad and it's issues.
The presonus stu.one. developers are not on kvr audio
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

gentleclockdivider wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 2:57 pm You might want to post your bug on the presonus forum , just to raise some more awareness about the scratchpad and it's issues.
The presonus stu.one. developers are not on kvr audio
If I ever do determine how to reliably reproduce the issue, I will post it to the PreSonus Studio One forum along with the steps to reproduce it.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”