No More Excuses...Please Help A Wannabe Songwriter

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello Wags. I find you focus on numbers or quantity over quality. Its always "I'm starting xxxx album an this date and it will be done on this date, with 18 tracks." Or sound banks with twice as many presets as others. This course you just blew through is another example to me.

To me you are spreading yourself too thin in the songwriting. I listened to you new, albeit hastily made page. Some of those I would probably leave out. We cant do everything well.

Could you play to your strengths? Change your expectations in yourself and not others? Writers often write what they know or live. Might I suggest you focus on christian music or there about. I give this example as church seems to be a larger part of your experience. With no harm intended, I don't think you write well in all genres, opposed to what you stated on your site.

Hope this comes across with the care intended.
Reverbnation
see ya 'round...

Michael L wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:51 am This has been a really great thread, with many practical suggestions that I am taking in.
Thanks to Wagtunes for starting it and everyone else for contributing! :clap:
FWIW, Benedict says I've made a breakthrough, or progress, or something. Brain too fried to remember which.

I'm going away tomorrow for 3 days. My first vacation in 10 years. I need it.

When I return, well, you'll see.

Morgaxx wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:53 am Hello Wags. I find you focus on numbers or quantity over quality. Its always "I'm starting xxxx album an this date and it will be done on this date, with 18 tracks." Or sound banks with twice as many presets as others. This course you just blew through is another example to me.

To me you are spreading yourself too thin in the songwriting. I listened to you new, albeit hastily made page. Some of those I would probably leave out. We cant do everything well.

Could you play to your strengths? Change your expectations in yourself and not others? Writers often write what they know or live. Might I suggest you focus on christian music or there about. I give this example as church seems to be a larger part of your experience. With no harm intended, I don't think you write well in all genres, opposed to what you stated on your site.

Well, you know, there are some people who think I don't write well at all. So in that respect, I have to go with my gut. Ultimately, people will listen to the songs I've displayed and like them or not like them. If I start second guessing myself then nothing ends up on my page.

The website still doesn't work properly. If I try to play a track, I get offered a download ... and the dark gray font on black is almost unreadable.

thecontrolcentre wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 2:21 am The website still doesn't work properly. If I try to play a track, I get offered a download ... and the dark gray font on black is almost unreadable.
Unfortunately, I can only test it on Google Chrome and it's working for me. I don't have a lot of browsers installed with all their versions and I'm not a web tech. Sorry, I'm doing the best I can.

Nothing to apologise for. I was just letting you know. I'm on mobile IE ...

thecontrolcentre wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 2:32 am Nothing to apologise for. I was just letting you know. I'm on mobile IE ...
That might explain it. None of my sites are optimized for mobile devices. In fact, I can tell you right now they flat out won't work.

That's something else I need major tech help with.

Yeah, let's not worry on that site. We'll circle back to it due course.

wagtunes wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:57 am
Morgaxx wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:53 am Hello Wags. I find you focus on numbers or quantity over quality.
Well, you know, there are some people who think I don't write well at all. So in that respect, I have to go with my gut. Ultimately, people will listen to the songs I've displayed and like them or not like them. If I start second guessing myself then nothing ends up on my page.
Yes he has done (and it read nice to me).

As for those people, #1 mistake in marketing is to think you are selling to everyone 8-80 y.o. Even Michael Jackson didn't have that sort of spread. I don't own any MJ and I lurve music, incl some of his. Sometimes it is better to just keep rolling when you have no other answers. Wags has done that.

We've had today's wins and I also want to thank everyone who has helped Wags this far (kicking & screaming sometimes :ud: ). He has had an epiphany which needs time to (hopefully) solidify. So as I said before, let's be pleased with the part we all played in that and congratulations all round.

I have suggested that we keep our Course discussions more private now as no doubt for any of you who read even Lesson 1, this is mighty powerful stuff. When we get to the end (when I feel like Wags has groked the meaning of each stage) we might agree to publish some/all the answers to help others along the way. We shall see then.

:-)

Since the drama has died down a little...
As a silent follower of many an entertaining Wagsthread (TM) that has spectacularly gone off the rails, here's what I see. Wagtunes, you should really, as some have pointed out already, consider your part in all this. Stop blaming others, consider your 50% instead.
This thread itself is an embodiment of what you're doing wrong. You have a huge sense of entitlement, and probably have suffered a lifetime of standing on the sidelines. It has made you bitter. A part of you totally loves all the hullabaloo that you create here, because you love the attention. It stokes your vanity, and your secret feelings of grandiosity.

Reading this, you'll probably get all mad and defensive again. That's okay, we're all human. Afterwards, you might want to consider if what I said has a ring of truth to it. The amount of goodwill still present among the more active members is a wonder, and you should be grateful for it, especially when people tell you hard truths.

Probably the best piece of advice in this thread is: be a person with whom people want to work. The way you act here.. you're not that person.

ariston wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 7:18 am Since the drama has died down a little...
As a silent follower of many an entertaining Wagsthread (TM) that has spectacularly gone off the rails, here's what I see. Wagtunes, you should really, as some have pointed out already, consider your part in all this. Stop blaming others, consider your 50% instead.
This thread itself is an embodiment of what you're doing wrong. You have a huge sense of entitlement, and probably have suffered a lifetime of standing on the sidelines. It has made you bitter. A part of you totally loves all the hullabaloo that you create here, because you love the attention. It stokes your vanity, and your secret feelings of grandiosity.

Reading this, you'll probably get all mad and defensive again. That's okay, we're all human. Afterwards, you might want to consider if what I said has a ring of truth to it. The amount of goodwill still present among the more active members is a wonder, and you should be grateful for it, especially when people tell you hard truths.

Probably the best piece of advice in this thread is: be a person with whom people want to work. The way you act here.. you're not that person.
No, I'm not mad. Honestly, I don't care anymore. This whole experience has finally made me numb to it all. Benedict asks me questions, I give him answers and they're not good enough for him even though the answers I gave were very personal, from my heart and completely honest. I don't know what the man is looking for. So I'm done.

At this point, I don't care where this thread goes. I'm leaving town for 3 days. When I return, I'm not even sure I'll be back. That's something I'll have to think long and hard about. I'm just tired of jumping through hoops trying to please people. If I was younger, yeah, I'd take all the BS. I'm too old for it now. So maybe the truth is that I don't have the patience for success. I was fortunate to be able to retire from the corporate world at age 44. At age 61, I'm done working. If all the music I've created in 42 years isn't good enough to even get me one record deal, so be it.

I intend to just enjoy the rest of my life.

See you in 3 days. Or not.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8K-ahyU4uNU

wagtunes wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:34 am
ariston wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 7:18 am Since the drama has died down a Jo little...

No, I'm not mad. Honestly, I don't care anymore. This whole experience has finally made me numb to it all. Benedict asks me questions, I give him answers and they're not good enough for him even though the answers I gave were very personal, from my heart and completely honest. I don't know what the man is looking for. So I'm done.

At this point, I don't care where this thread goes. I'm leaving town for 3 days. When I return, I'm not even sure I'll be back. That's something I'll have to think long and hard about. I'm just tired of jumping through hoops trying to please people. If I was younger, yeah, I'd take all the BS. I'm too old for it now. So maybe the truth is that I don't have the patience for success. I was fortunate to be able to retire from the corporate world at age 44. At age 61, I'm done working. If all the music I've created in 42 years isn't good enough to even get me one record deal, so be it.

Wrong answer yet again. Its too hard. Everyone else is to blame. Grow the f**k up. You start dramas, blame someone else, make excuses, then run off ... that is not the route to success.

There is some great advice in this thread, but you have chosen to ignore it all, and bitch about the people trying to help you. In a thread you entitled "No More Excuses" your input has been excuse after excuse. Pathetic.
Last edited by thecontrolcentre on Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thecontrolcentre wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:08 pm
wagtunes wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:34 am
ariston wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 7:18 am Since the drama has died down a Jo little...

Wrong answer yet again. Its too hard. Everyone else is to blame. Grow the f**k up. You start dramas, blame someone else, make excuses, then run off ... that is not the route to success.

There is some great advice in this thread, but you have chosen to ignore it all. In a thread entitled "No More Excuses" your input has been excuse after excuse. Pathetic.
No excuses. I've just decided that this just isn't important enough to me to go through all this. In fact, this thread was the BEST thing that could have ever happened to me because it made me realize that I've been chasing a 20 year old's dream that I don't really care about anymore. I explained to Benedict why in a PM but I'm not going to go into it again here.

So you can think whatever you want. I really, truly don't care.

That was a short three days break...

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”