Best 1176 and La-2A plugins for dance?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Liero wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:05 pm
ramseysounds wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:17 pm What do you mean ‘for dance’?
An LA-2A and 1176 is just that :?:
This is one of the oldest, most common misconceptions with beginners and it rears its head around here all the time... I don't really know where it's coming from.

"What's the best hammer for nails?"
Hammers are indeed different and for good reason. Compressors are indeed different and for good reason.

EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

IKMultimedia white compressor LA2A

There’s lots of good emulations out there at the end of the day an 1176 is an 1176, an LA-2A is an LA-2A. The genre really has nothing to do with it, not in this instance. IK, Slate, Waves, take your pick.

Where the genre fits in is just what on and how you use these compressors. For dance I’d be looking at other solutions too, like modern VCAs for example. Red 3, dbx 160/165, mpressor, BSS DPR-402, etc. Compressors like this tend to compliment electronic music quite a lot.

Thanks everyone.

I’ll take my time demoing all the plugins mentioned here. Really appreciate the feedback.

I'm a little confused about compression and electronic music. If I watch a video on EDM production, for example, they will use lots of compression. But then I read everywhere that most electronic sounds (drum samples, etc) are already compressed and so don't need it.

Which is it?

EDIT: just did some googling and saw this GS thread that talks alot about why compression is used in electronic music.

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/electro ... e-edm.html

yehboy1 wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:21 pm I'm a little confused about compression and electronic music. If I watch a video on EDM production, for example, they will use lots of compression. But then I read everywhere that most electronic sounds (drum samples, etc) are already compressed and so don't need it.

Which is it?

EDIT: just did some googling and saw this GS thread that talks alot about why compression is used in electronic music.

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/electro ... e-edm.html
That’s a good thread. I would personally listen to what Shawn Hatfield has to say about it.

FYI - Ended up with the BRA VLA-FET.

Please don't carry compressors when you're going for a dance.

perpetual3 wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 2:08 pm FYI - Ended up with the BRA VLA-FET.
Solid choice 8)

Neither of those compressors are typically used for dance - they are famous for big studio rock / pop and the originals are (generally) unaffordable for dance producers)

Hardware compressors used in hardware dance production would be mainly of the cheap VCA variety (dbx, alesis, etc)

in digital era lots of stock plugins, any given flavour of vst compression incl UAD / waves / whatever will be used.

Bear in mind that compressors are not that integral to the sound of dance / electronic production. In many cases what you are trying to achieve is punch, volume, weight, tone and the best route is actually distortion, limiting, layering, expansion (transient shaping) or EQ rather than compression... and if it is compression, multibanding is often the way to "make it bigger"

A compressor is a program dependent gain controller which (generally) reduces dynamic range. when you control the amplitude envelope of the program (ie using the envelopes in your synth / sampler) and the volume of the program is very predictable to start with (ie perfectly repeating synth / sampler envelopes) then the need for a compressor is kinda questionable.

Also vintage / emulation compressors, due to their linear threshold across frequency spectrum, will compress bass more than highs, and effectively shift energy away from bass

So there are some thoughts. I think BRA seem to be king of the emulations at the moment with uad so you've made a good choice for an accurate emulation. I use trackcomp as I'm trying to simplify the mixing toolkit - go deeper and think less

peterjsd wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 3:16 pm Neither of those compressors are typically used for dance - they are famous for big studio rock / pop and the originals are (generally) unaffordable for dance producers)

Hardware compressors used in hardware dance production would be mainly of the cheap VCA variety (dbx, alesis, etc)

in digital era lots of stock plugins, any given flavour of vst compression incl UAD / waves / whatever will be used.

Bear in mind that compressors are not that integral to the sound of dance / electronic production. In many cases what you are trying to achieve is punch, volume, weight, tone and the best route is actually distortion, limiting, layering, expansion (transient shaping) or EQ rather than compression... and if it is compression, multibanding is often the way to "make it bigger"

A compressor is a program dependent gain controller which (generally) reduces dynamic range. when you control the amplitude envelope of the program (ie using the envelopes in your synth / sampler) and the volume of the program is very predictable to start with (ie perfectly repeating synth / sampler envelopes) then the need for a compressor is kinda questionable.

Also vintage / emulation compressors, due to their linear threshold across frequency spectrum, will compress bass more than highs, and effectively shift energy away from bass

So there are some thoughts. I think BRA seem to be king of the emulations at the moment with uad so you've made a good choice for an accurate emulation. I use trackcomp as I'm trying to simplify the mixing toolkit - go deeper and think less
You make many good points. In my case, I am also big fan of the hyper compressed Swedish techno sound exemplified by Cari Lekebusch/ Mr. James Barth, Adam Breyer/Conceiled Project. I like that pumping sound. At the same time, I’m trying to avoid a certain “muffled” tendency I sometimes hear.

As far as transient designer, I’m looking at Elysia nvelope.

peterjsd wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 3:16 pm Neither of those compressors are typically used for dance - they are famous for big studio rock / pop and the originals are (generally) unaffordable for dance producers)

This is a great comment. Some of the strengths of the vintage hardware were in how they managed to deal with the audio signals being fed them, like John Bonham's thundering drums or Steven Tyler's banshee screams or a violinist's pizzicato. Signals that bounce up and down in volume, that attack faster or slower, etc.

When I lay down 16th note hi hats for dance music, I don't need to level the volume. I need character and I need bounce. I need my kick and sub to blend together seamlessly.

perpetual3 wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:51 pm Like the title says - best 1176 and La-2A for dance?

Or does anyone have a better recommendation?

Looking ultimate punch and weight.
Um the one's you like the best? Or any different kind of compressor?

Daimonicon wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 7:18 pm
perpetual3 wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:51 pm Like the title says - best 1176 and La-2A for dance?

Or does anyone have a better recommendation?

Looking ultimate punch and weight.
Um the one's you like the best? Or any different kind of compressor?
I think at this point any kind. Thanks!

Return to “Effects”