Korg Collection (V2.0 released, GUI update!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
KORG Collection Special Box Presets For Korg M1 Legacy V2

thecontrolcentre wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 3:56 pmI cant think of any modern VSTs that are so small. I cant read the text on most of them. Even the most recent one (KARP) is too small imho.
The text is definitely small but that's because it's in proportion with the hardware. It was a stupid move on Korg's part but, given how anal people are about old krap, you can understand why they did it.
JerGoertz wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:21 pmThey don't sound _bad_, but I never really even think about using them anymore.
Really? What have you got with a filter like the PolySix? That thing is unbeatable in my book.
Melkor wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:40 pmI think I'm the only person on earth who likes the small gui thing :D
No, I'm with you. I only like resizable GUIs because it means I can make things smaller.
Forgotten wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:49 pm1080 is not a very high resolution by today's standards though, so it's probably nearer to what they were originally designed for.
Of course 1080 is still a current standard. Only really expensive, high-spec, high-end laptops have stupid res screens. I reckon close to 90% of new laptops and monitors on the market today would be no bigger than 1920x1200 and most are just 1080. 1080 or 1200 is still the best res for pretty much everything, I reckon.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

BlackWinny wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:11 pmAnd my opinion is that Korg is making a huge marketing error by missing what happens currently on the market. Many things are not done on stage today but mainly in the studios (hip-hop, house, rap, RnB, etc.), and in the studios the software instruments (Massive, Serum... but also samplers and many software instruments of all ages) are much more used than many people think.
That doesn't automatically mean that there is more money to be made. In any event, Korg has both markets well covered, as well as the mobile market. And they were the first traditional synth company to do anything in the software space. That they haven't continued tells me it wasn't profitable for them.
JerGoertz wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:36 amIt's not that I don't love, and that it's not valid to love, classic analog synths. This is my favorite "category"! It's that I think these old VST emulations sound not-very-convincing by today's standards. There are many better (more authentic?) sounding analog emu's available.
Why does that matter? What matters is that these instruments sound great. The thing is, the ones that seem to get the most love - M1 and Wavestation - weren't analogue in the first place.
CapnLockheed wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:23 amI guess my '66 Fender Strat isn't good for anything but firewood then...... :lol:
That's been true for a long time. It's Les Paul or nothing.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Last thing, Arturia are doing the Collection for half-price at the moment. (I got an email today.) That might make your decision easier.

BONES wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:08 am
Forgotten wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:49 pm1080 is not a very high resolution by today's standards though, so it's probably nearer to what they were originally designed for.
Of course 1080 is still a current standard. Only really expensive, high-spec, high-end laptops have stupid res screens. I reckon close to 90% of new laptops and monitors on the market today would be no bigger than 1920x1200 and most are just 1080. 1080 or 1200 is still the best res for pretty much everything, I reckon.
Most new desktop monitors today are at least 2560x1440, only really low-end ones are still 1920x1080. Even 4K desktop monitors are rapidly coming down in price.

Laptop monitors are still often 1080p or lower, but they're also smaller. For example, a 13.3" screen at 1920x1080 has a pixel density of 166 ppi, while a 27" 4K screen (3840x2160) is at 163 ppi. So things will be similar in size to the 27" 4K screen.

AdvancedFollower wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:29 am
Most new desktop monitors today are at least 2560x1440, only really low-end ones are still 1920x1080. Even 4K desktop monitors are rapidly coming down in price.

Laptop monitors are still often 1080p or lower, but they're also smaller. For example, a 13.3" screen at 1920x1080 has a pixel density of 166 ppi, while a 27" 4K screen (3840x2160) is at 163 ppi. So things will be similar in size to the 27" 4K screen.
Yep, and it's all pretty easy to validate just by going to Amazon or another computer seller and looking at the specs.

thecontrolcentre wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 3:56 pmI cant think of any modern VSTs that are so small. I cant read the text on most of them. Even the most recent one (KARP) is too small imho.
The text is definitely small but that's because it's in proportion with the hardware. It was a stupid move on Korg's part but, given how anal people are about old krap, you can understand why they did it.
Oh yeah ... but they promised us bigger GUI's when they updated The Collection around 2(?) years ago, but they've done f**k all. I updated my account when I picked up KARP but haven't bothered to install the "new" versions, because it's pointless atm ...

if I got mono/poly, is there a reason to get polysix also?
I often heard that it's the same sound (as the polysix ensemble is in the effects) and there's just less features, but I don't know if that's true.
am I missing out?

I haven't used Mono/Poly in ages but I think the two synths have a different filter.

acYm wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:09 pm if I got mono/poly, is there a reason to get polysix also?
I often heard that it's the same sound (as the polysix ensemble is in the effects) and there's just less features, but I don't know if that's true.
am I missing out?
Not at all the same synth. Polysix is not a reduced Mono/Poly.

To make short and not reproduce what have been said (and written) many times, read this thread from Vintage Synth Explorer:
http://forum.vintagesynth.com/viewtopic ... 18&t=75374
:tu:

Note : I have both (Mono/Poly only in software, Polysix in software and hardware).
Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.
I'm now severely diseased since September 2018.

I always regretted choosing a DX9 over a PolySix. The PolySix just seemed too basic to be worth the $1500 it cost new and the DX9 looked like the future. Lack of MIDI was a big problem, too.

yeah they're talking about the hardware over there at vintagesynth, indeed the synths are quite different, but the lines are more blurred with the vst versions I think, with mono/poly being a full-blown polysynth for example

but if at least the filter is different then yeah that's one point of interest, that and I'm also very fond of the old school presets in these.

Then go ahead.

Myself I use both and not for the same purposes. One never replaces the other for a use.

Anyway, the software emulation of Mono/Poly is made to reproduce the architecture of the original Mono/Poly hardware, and the software emulation of Polysix is made to reproduce the architecture of the original Polysix hardware. So in this aspect the software emulations reflect their respective hardware devices, then the answer in the Vintage Synth Explorer forum keeps its relevance.
:D
Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.

so then it's not actually feasible to reproduce vst polysix patches in the vst mono/poly, even though it has its trademark effects, as well as, technically, more stuff. alright, that's settled.
I wish there were a demo. :(

acYm wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 1:31 amI wish there were a demo. :(
I'm pretty sure that there are tons of demos of Polysix and Mono/Poly on Youyube.

BlackWinny wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 11:57 am
acYm wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 1:31 amI wish there were a demo. :(
I'm pretty sure that there are tons of demos of Polysix and Mono/Poly on Youyube.
Not the same.
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

Return to “Instruments”