Wavetable Blowout: Massive X vs Avenger vs Serum vs Icarus vs Pigments...

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic

perpetual3 wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 2:25 pm Why remove Massive X? It’s a WT synth.
trolling on the lack of interested that this synth generates

Ten pages and no mention of Wolfgang Palm or the great sounding PPG collection :(

This thread would not exist if he hadn’t invented wavetable synthesis 40 years ago!!!

fortycoats wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:41 pm Ten pages and no mention of Wolfgang Palm or the great sounding PPG collection :(

This thread would not exist if he hadn’t invented wavetable synthesis 40 years ago!!!
True, but not true. Someone else would have invented shortly afterwards.
Wavetables for DUNE2/3, Blofeld, IL Harmor, Hive and Serum etc: http://charlesdickens.neocities.org/
£10 for lifetime updates including wavetable editor for Windows.

Music: https://soundcloud.com/markholt

How close were you?

Nowhere near. Just a reflection on inventions in general, of which I do have some association.
Wavetables for DUNE2/3, Blofeld, IL Harmor, Hive and Serum etc: http://charlesdickens.neocities.org/
£10 for lifetime updates including wavetable editor for Windows.

Music: https://soundcloud.com/markholt

There were a few people doing stuff in that area back then. Apologies for the bad joke, long day here.

I happened upon this thread after playing with PPG infinite and was going to add my vote. Was just a bit shocked that nobody had mentioned it!

I vote for listing all available wave table synths that exist in the subject... No, I am not going to read the whole thread to see if all have been mentioned already...

drdriller wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 2:55 pm
perpetual3 wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 2:25 pm Why remove Massive X? It’s a WT synth.
trolling on the lack of interested that this synth generates
Massive x really does sound good and the GUI is pretty good too. Once they release an update with the obvious things left out (envelope curves!) it is going to be one of the top synths!

Biome_Digital wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 6:32 pm Massive x really does sound good and the GUI is pretty good too. Once they release an update with the obvious things left out (envelope curves!) it is going to be one of the top synths!
too many good synth everywhere to give this one a second try when it will be patched

drdriller wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:30 am
Biome_Digital wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 6:32 pm Massive x really does sound good and the GUI is pretty good too. Once they release an update with the obvious things left out (envelope curves!) it is going to be one of the top synths!
too many good synth everywhere to give this one a second try when it will be patched
Every synth gets patches. By this logic we shouldn't have any synths at all in this thread.

Also, Massive X is working just fine as is. It will certainly have updates down the road, but it's a full-featured & excellent instrument already.

What about ilter mode comparisons what modes are available.

Wolfgang Palm synths are great and far more creative out of the box than anything else
Serum is basically the standard
Pigments is awesome super fast and easy to use
Massive X workflow is not up to competitors

Kubik! You left out Kubik!

OK, just kidding, but not that long ago (OK, maybe it was that long ago ...) there wasn't much else going on in wavetable synths other than PPG. Kubik seemed like the wave of the future, ... except the main interest was in 'analog' (hey, good too!), and wavetable synths seemed to be fading fringe interests. Awesome to see that they've come mainstream.

Smapti wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 4:00 pm
drdriller wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:30 am
Every synth gets patches. By this logic we shouldn't have any synths at all in this thread.

Also, Massive X is working just fine as is. It will certainly have updates down the road, but it's a full-featured & excellent instrument already.
No developer is perfect. Even the saint Urs Heckman abandoned Uhbik X (a modular environment promised as an upcoming update). It happens. He made other updates. We moved on. It’s clear Massive X wasn’t quite the release they were hoping for. I could see waiting until some of the rough edges are smoothed, but to dismiss it forever? Silly.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

Just keeping track of synths people have mentioned they would like added to the initial comparison post:

Ableton Wavetable
Dune 3
Fathom
Halion
Hive 2
Predator 2
Synthmaster

Melda MPowersynth and Ocean Swift's new Enterprise may also be worth comparing. I'm not sure if any of the Waldorf stuff like Nave or Largo counts, or if it's more old-school wavetable scanning a la Prophet VS rather than what people think of as a wavetable synth in the plugin world.

Return to “Instruments”