Violins vs. Cellos Extended

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

A slightly extended version of a previous track where i added also now Bohemian Violin v3 from Virharmonic since it includes now expansion 2 . Otherwise there is only Emotional Cello and Emotional Violin and a little bit of Spitfire Audio bass inside.
Only FX used are Precedence and Breeze 2 from 2CAudio.
I got really in love with solo strings libraries in the latest months and just started to dive in deeper and finally try to learn them better. All parts are played live on my computer keyboard as midi input and/or are live played arps (Logic´s arp here which took me some time to program the way for a hopefully good input with enough human feeling).
Have a nice day!
https://soundcloud.com/user-790535032/v ... s-extended
Last edited by Cinebient on Wed Aug 07, 2019 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I love it !
Have to listen to this on a better system and will come back to you.
Track seems to be on the search.
I didn´t find a convincing theme, but that could be the next movement ;-)
I would call it "Searching ..."

(( D ))

drumity wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 6:43 pm I love it !
Have to listen to this on a better system and will come back to you.
Track seems to be on the search.
I didn´t find a convincing theme, but that could be the next movement ;-)
I would call it "Searching ..."

(( D ))
Thank you! Yes, it is more of an improved war between cellos and violins rather than finding a theme or movement :D
I have yet a lot to learn when it comes to classical music but i like to break the rules (bad or not) :) .

I would also say that there needs to be a melody that just keeps getting reinterpreted. It's what gives Jazz and Classical glue. But ALL Rules can be broken. It really has a great feel and I enjoyed the track.
-------------------
Bitwig is my DAWs and UHe and Tracktion Synths are my Bae. I maybe buy one synth a year. REMEMBER SELF just one synth a year!

You could summarise what I know about this stuff on the back of a postage stamp....but I thought it was excellent. Only part that stuck out where I thought it sounded a bit 'false' (for wont of a better word) was at the end where it's calmer, but the vibrato seems to be still full on. Wouldn't a violin/cello player naturally ease up in that sort sort of passage?

Cinebient wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 2:21 pm Thank you! Yes, it is more of an improved war between cellos and violins rather than finding a theme or movement :D
I have yet a lot to learn when it comes to classical music but i like to break the rules (bad or not) :) .
You only can break the rules if you know them ! :-)
Listened to the track on a better system and it´s mixwise ok, perhaps the bass section could be more present.
But the inner tension between the voices could be more convincing.
Study counterpoint and you will come up with a stronger part of dialogue.
E.g.: There are several rules in counterpoint, you can use to practice your compositions.
  • The "easiest" is 1:1, e.g. you're writing a bass part in whole notes and a melody part (second part) in whole notes.
  • 1:2, bass in whole notes and melody in half notes (also v.v.)
  • 1:4, bass in whole notes and melody in quarter notes (also v.v.)
  • etc.
Have a listen to my track here, where I used some of these techniques in an IDM situation:

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=528509

An example of a textbook of Counterpoint studies:

https://www.amazon.com/Contemporary-Cou ... 0876391838

Cheers
(( D ))

Thank´s for the listen and suggestions, tips. I will try to do better :)
I´m more into ambient and electronic but i like also to use a mix from acoustic and electronic elements.
Actually some of the layered arps were the way mentioned above but i maybe also layered a bit too much in general here and lost it. In general i tend to make tracks to full and it ends in a bit of chaos. Represents my life maybe...

It's a nice composition, but it begins to wear by the middle owing to a couple of factors. 1) is the pandiatonic whole thing of it which sounds quite fresh in the beginning just seems to go on with no focus and the texture never changes. Signal to noise loses here. 2) as regards the sameness in texture, particularly in terms of staging. Strings will be *desked* with support players behind the lead players, and everyone here is competing for the same first row as it were; so the overall effect is a lack of distinction and this sort of cluttered feeling. 3) there's just too much happening, ultimately, I think.

You probably do not have desks in these libraries, but you do have Precedence which is built for back-to-front.

jancivil wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 2:36 am It's a nice composition, but it begins to wear by the middle owing to a couple of factors. 1) is the pandiatonic whole thing of it which sounds quite fresh in the beginning just seems to go on with no focus and the texture never changes. Signal to noise loses here. 2) as regards the sameness in texture, particularly in terms of staging. Strings will be *desked* with support players behind the lead players, and everyone here is competing for the same first row as it were; so the overall effect is a lack of distinction and this sort of cluttered feeling. 3) there's just too much happening, ultimately, I think.

You probably do not have desks in these libraries, but you do have Precedence which is built for back-to-front.
Thank‘s for the feedback. Indeed too busy and i made it even worse since in the first version was already a bit too much happening and then i added the Bohemian violin on top. I think it was better before.
I ignore the rule „less is more“ too often.
Well, hopefully next time.

I think the Bohemian is the wrong fidlle for the job, actually. Too romantic, you need more 'objective'.

jancivil wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 1:59 pm I think the Bohemian is the wrong fidlle for the job, actually. Too romantic, you need more 'objective'.
Yes, i think you´re right and i should have left it out here.

Return to “Music Cafe”