DAW's Mentioned Before Other's

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Live was and is an absolute revolution. People joke about "game changers" here a lot, it truly was. I was so young when it dropped, that was back in the days when there were bookstores and you found out about things through the handful of magazines back then.

Funny, it’s definitely all about Session View and live performance with Live for me. I struggle with the fact that if you want to be a keyboard player using VSTi’s Live actually isn’t that great. I had a good little thing going using Live and Kore for performance until NI killed Kore.....

Live drives me nuts in terms of fast linear arrangement editing though, it’s lack of key commands, and general overt use of mouse or gestures is annoying compared to Logic, DP, Reaper, pretty much any DAW..

Session View though, I write a lot of straight main part, break, chorus, second part etc type songs and being able to quickly audition lengths of those parts firing session clips is great!

I’m within seconds of switching to Bitwig though, I like having MPE native, workarounds bug me.

Bitwig has it's advantages. But it's been a while, not sure I could name them :lol:

Moss's integration with common controllers was really nice.

Oh, stupid me, I remember one. My Nektar is integrated with Bitwig, live, not so much.

reggie1979 wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:28 am Bitwig has it's advantages. But it's been a while, not sure I could name them :lol:

Moss's integration with common controllers was really nice.
MPE, easy modulation, Möss for sure. He should work directly for them IMO, but I'm glad he doesn't because Reaper with Push 2 is fantastic.

Honestly I wish MOTU would put some serious money into DP, I'm mostly happy with it, just wish for MPE, more render options, more controller support, and articulation mapping.

^^^^ and there you have it, this is why DAWs like Logic and Cubase are popular, since they do offer all those features, plus most of what DP etc. offer.

Realistically I think I should have just went with Cubase back in the day, hard to justify it now, but if I look at what I want out of a DAW it delivers. Problem is Steinberg pulled some serious boners over the years, CPU weirdness with low latency setting on OSX, graphics issues on OSX, fixed then followed by issues on Windows, VST3 fiasco, promises of bug fixes and then admitting they're not fixing them until after a paid upgrade etc. etc.

AnX wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:14 pm
crimsonwarlock wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:52 pm
AnX wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:24 am
stearine wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:31 am There's a time and space where DAW's are discussed but Reaper isn't even mentioned? WHERE??
in pro studios :wink:
Wrong :D
nope

never seen a single pro studio that uses it, and ive been to alot
Still wrong :D

In another thread I got attacked because I did a google search and listed several pro studios that actually list Reaper as their primary DAW on their commercial website.

So you having been at a lot of studios is an empty statement as the studios you've been to aren't representative in any way regarding the use of Reaper in pro studios, while finding actual pro studios that does use Reaper is.

At the risk of some idiots again jumping at the chance to show their ignorance, I give one example: Spectre Sound uses Reaper as their primary DAW. They just installed a new 100K dollar mixing desk so I guess you could say it's a pro facility. And yes, this is just ONE example, but it simply invalidates your statement (you said it: a single pro studio). If you need more convincing, use google, it's a pretty handy tool to find out stuff :hihi:

And before some idiot starts yelling fanboy; stating a simple fact about reaper doesn't make me a fanboy ..... but I admit I like it a lot :D
CrimsonWarlock aka TechnoGremlin, using Reaper and a fine selection of freeware plugins.

Ragnarök VST-synthesizer co-creator with Full Bucket

Depends what you define a pro studio as, but I think what would be easier to determine is whether any major recording artists have recorded there rather than the cost of the studio’s hardware. If Reaper is in a studio it’s more likely due to the owner’s preference rather than it being considered the choice of pro studios in general.

crimsonwarlock wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:09 am
So you having been at a lot of pro studios is an empty statement as the studios you've been to aren't representative in any way regarding the use of Reaper in pro studios
well, they are, they represent the many many pro studios who don't use it.

simple maths

stearine wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:06 pmWhat (I think) is more specifically talked about in this thread is probably attributable to the fear of missing out more than the instability of self-image related to adolescence.
It's also the paradox of choice. With so many choices anyone not secure in their personal choices or decisions will be perpetually looking over the fence for the next shiny thing.

It's great for DAW developers though because those kinds of people buy and sell their products like candy. Put some new shiny stuff in the next version and start the cycle all over again. It's a good thing for them because if they had to rely solely on the professional market they'd all go bankrupt.

crimsonwarlock wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:09 am In another thread I got attacked because I did a google search and listed several pro studios that actually list Reaper as their primary DAW on their commercial website.

So you having been at a lot of studios is an empty statement as the studios you've been to aren't representative in any way regarding the use of Reaper in pro studios, while finding actual pro studios that does use Reaper is.
(emphasis mine)

So according to you; him having visited actual studios produces invalid data, whereas you having visited websites produces valid data. Am I a fool for finding this humorous?

AnX wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:30 am
crimsonwarlock wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:09 am
So you having been at a lot of pro studios is an empty statement as the studios you've been to aren't representative in any way regarding the use of Reaper in pro studios
well, they are, they represent the many many pro studios who don't use it.

simple maths

I don't know what kind of operands your math deals with, and if they express either relative or absolute quantities, but all I see is words like "many". When you say "many many", is that the same as many+many or many*many?

This argument is stupid beyond belief. Reaper is a professional application FULL STOP. Whether anyone uses it or not - it's their choice. YOU having seen or having not seen somebody else using it is irrelevant. It proves what and matters how?

Being a professional application doesn't necessarily mean that the software is being in wide use by professionals.

You gotta stay realistic as well. Reaper for its intended use is rather niche. Meaning that there'll be a lot more people who will use a DAW which has been catered to their use, than a DAW that the user can cater to his use. Naturally. Same applies to Linux on the home PC market. And, just like Linux users, the Reaperites also always have a hard time accepting that.

AnX wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:30 am well, they are, they represent the many many pro studios who don't use it.
You stated (first) that NO pro studio uses it and I called bullshit on that. I never stated anything towards how many or even many pro studios using it, just that there ARE in fact pro studios using it. I also didn't dispute that there are many pro studios who don't use it. There are also many pro studios that don't use Cubase or Logic or whatever other DAW you can name (as they all use something INSTEAD of the others). This reverse logic you trying to use is stupid.
stearine wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:38 am So according to you; him having visited actual studios produces invalid data, whereas you having visited websites produces valid data. Am I a fool for finding this humorous?
Maybe you should read your own reply again: YES, stating that all the studios visited don't use Reaper says absolutely nothing about the studios that do use Reaper (maybe you should read up on the 'black swan argument', spoiler alert; it's a straw man). My statement about studios that DO use reaper says something about studios THAT DO USE REAPER. So I do guess you are a fool (your words, not mine :hihi: )
CrimsonWarlock aka TechnoGremlin, using Reaper and a fine selection of freeware plugins.

I visited a very high-end recording studio that didn't use ProTools, so it's clear that high-end studios don't use ProTools.......... oh wait :dog:

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

crimsonwarlock wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:09 amIn another thread I got attacked because I did a google search and listed several pro studios that actually list Reaper as their primary DAW on their commercial website.
Funny, seemed a lot more like it was the faulty logic of the assertion you leveraged off the back of that list that got attacked.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”