IK Multimedia releases MODO DRUM

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
MODO DRUM

I would add just a couple of appreciation notes for IK. From where I sit they are in rare company given that they periodically offer free shipping promotions on hardware with introductory pricing reductions and Jam points applicable to software and hardware in many cases. I got my Iloud Micro Monitors shipped to my address in Canada with free shipping and applied Jam points to the hardware purchase. Ditto for Arc II and Uno Synth. I bought Modo Bass during the introductory period at a reduced price with Jam points further reducing costs which then qualified me for a discount on the Modo Drums. I use this stuff and I value it. IK has earned my business. I am extremely impressed with the company and their innovation not to mention their helpful presence here on KVR. Yep I am a fan but that status was well earned.
Last edited by Scotty on Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wags ... add it to your cart and then check out... it won't charge you unless you complete the transaction but it will automatically apply a $50 coupon and bring the price down to $149.00 .. I just double checked - it works it just doesn't show up until checkout but it is visible at the last step. You just have to do the modo drum crossgrade pricing (the one that says download only $199.99) and it knows that you own Modo Bass and will apply that reduction at the checkout. Easy but just a bit buried.
Last edited by Scotty on Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Scotty wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:58 am Wags ... add it to your cart and then check out... it won't charge you unless you complete the transaction but it will automatically apply a $50 coupon and bring the price down to $149.00 .. I just double checked - it works it just doesn't show up until checkout but it is visible at the last step. You just have to do the regular introductory pricing and it knows that you own Modo Bass and will apply that reduction. Easy but just a bit buried.
Thanks. I'm watching this review and I can't believe how flexible this thing is. It's mind boggling. I don't think MODO Bass, which I love, is this detailed. This is just insane.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPWcn8rzEUw

Looks great but from an e-drumming perspective it has a ways to go. Going to wait til they sort that out. Probably not a problem though for finger drumming or drawing notes on a piano roll.

The guy in the video doesn't know how to bring in the right stick as there is no manual. So, since you need both sticks to do a drum roll, how DO you bring in the right stick?

What issues are you seeing regarding e-drumming? Just curious I am going to give it a workout with my TD-30 KV kit tomorrow and see how easily it maps. It looks to have all of the positional sensitivity that is supported by more advanced midi trigger engines.
yehboy1 wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:14 am Looks great but from an e-drumming perspective it has a ways to go. Going to wait til they sort that out. Probably not a problem though for finger drumming or drawing notes on a piano roll.

Various bits from a thread about the e-drumming aspect at vdrums.com:
No maps provided yet, have fun mapping your monster kit...
"From IK Forum:

Just got this today, but there is no custom key mapping in the plug-in, only cc mapping for the HH pedal and snare+tom pad position sensing. I will have to tweak my TD-30 drum map in Cubase. The hi-hat center zone works with the standard map, but not the edge zone. The foot control aperture response feels pretty good to me. The snare and tom pad position works well, though i wouldn't say there is as much of a low dynamic contrast as in the internal TD-30 engine. The rim shot aspect of the pad positioning works better, and the rim click behavior maps fine. Some of the low tom rims are mapped to other random keys. Cymbal choking doesn't seem to work. In the TD-30, this is done with poly aftertouch. In ModoDrum, there are choke keys set up to mute specific cymbals. I'm not sure you could ever integrate those two systems. Hopefully IK adds a drum map editor and/or presets for common drum modules, as the standalone won't work right without it."
No native mapping = conversion latency = sh!tty experience for live drumming... I’ll pass
Someone write a review from another forum:

I purchased and spent some time with the software..here is a very brief review..

Cymbals..customizable..minimal variety,limited to single zone with choke except for the Ride dual/zone with choke.

MIDI:
Non existent..you have one option and that is for MIDI Device.
NO MIDI editor.
FIXED GM MIDI Mapping..
NO Tom Rim (mapping is for left and right hand)
NO Cymbal Edge (only choke note)

NO custom key mapping.(You'll have to change the midi assignment in the module),only CC mapping for the HH pedal and snare+tom pad position sensing..."aperture continuous control"

Hopefully IK adds a drum map editor and/or presets for common drum modules, as the standalone won't work right without it.
Also note the modeling engine requires Minimal: Intel® Core™ i5 with support for AVX.
I have installed on multiple high end tablets/MS Surface (running SD3 , EZD etc embedded and have no issues) with i5, 8-16GB ram..AVX,AVX2 support.MODO DRUM does not run well.They all ran at less than 20% CPU and RAM..but MODO stuttered/throttled and issues with scaling as UI stayed at minimal and I couldn't get to maximize(full screen)I believe they need to change the requirements to note that there is a difference between the Laptop/tablet i5 (Dual Core - 2 cores,4 threads) and the desktop i5 (Quad core-4 cores,8 threads)

If you are looking to use this software for more advanced Drum Modules with multiple zone cymbals I can't recommend it at it's current price/features it's more for the Studio/keyboard or entry to intermediate modules.

yehboy1 wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:22 am Various bits from a thread about the e-drumming aspect at vdrums.com:
No maps provided yet, have fun mapping your monster kit...
"From IK Forum:

Just got this today, but there is no custom key mapping in the plug-in, only cc mapping for the HH pedal and snare+tom pad position sensing. I will have to tweak my TD-30 drum map in Cubase. The hi-hat center zone works with the standard map, but not the edge zone. The foot control aperture response feels pretty good to me. The snare and tom pad position works well, though i wouldn't say there is as much of a low dynamic contrast as in the internal TD-30 engine. The rim shot aspect of the pad positioning works better, and the rim click behavior maps fine. Some of the low tom rims are mapped to other random keys. Cymbal choking doesn't seem to work. In the TD-30, this is done with poly aftertouch. In ModoDrum, there are choke keys set up to mute specific cymbals. I'm not sure you could ever integrate those two systems. Hopefully IK adds a drum map editor and/or presets for common drum modules, as the standalone won't work right without it."
No native mapping = conversion latency = sh!tty experience for live drumming... I’ll pass
Someone write a review from another forum:

I purchased and spent some time with the software..here is a very brief review..

Cymbals..customizable..minimal variety,limited to single zone with choke except for the Ride dual/zone with choke.

MIDI:
Non existent..you have one option and that is for MIDI Device.
NO MIDI editor.
FIXED GM MIDI Mapping..
NO Tom Rim (mapping is for left and right hand)
NO Cymbal Edge (only choke note)

NO custom key mapping.(You'll have to change the midi assignment in the module),only CC mapping for the HH pedal and snare+tom pad position sensing..."aperture continuous control"

Hopefully IK adds a drum map editor and/or presets for common drum modules, as the standalone won't work right without it.
Also note the modeling engine requires Minimal: Intel® Core™ i5 with support for AVX.
I have installed on multiple high end tablets/MS Surface (running SD3 , EZD etc embedded and have no issues) with i5, 8-16GB ram..AVX,AVX2 support.MODO DRUM does not run well.They all ran at less than 20% CPU and RAM..but MODO stuttered/throttled and issues with scaling as UI stayed at minimal and I couldn't get to maximize(full screen)I believe they need to change the requirements to note that there is a difference between the Laptop/tablet i5 (Dual Core - 2 cores,4 threads) and the desktop i5 (Quad core-4 cores,8 threads)

If you are looking to use this software for more advanced Drum Modules with multiple zone cymbals I can't recommend it at it's current price/features it's more for the Studio/keyboard or entry to intermediate modules.
Ok thanks. I'll approach it from the point of view as to what it can do... looks like an opportunity for some enhancements down the road. The comment about the drum map adding latency is way overblown. I use custom drum maps frequently with my e drummers... Alesis DM 10 Pro X Mesh , TD-12 and now TD 30 and there is no appreciable lag at all in Cubase so that comment is pure emotion not fact based but the rest of it sounds like solid observation.

Question about the drum patterns. Do they generate MIDI notes? If not, how do they render when rendering the rest of the song? If there's no MIDI there at least has to be some audio generated as a wav file.

wagtunes wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:00 am Question about the drum patterns. Do they generate MIDI notes? If not, how do they render when rendering the rest of the song? If there's no MIDI there at least has to be some audio generated as a wav file.
The drums patterns are drag and drop into your DAW as there is no internal track building like some of the other vsts

flampton wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:11 am
wagtunes wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:00 am Question about the drum patterns. Do they generate MIDI notes? If not, how do they render when rendering the rest of the song? If there's no MIDI there at least has to be some audio generated as a wav file.
The drums patterns are drag and drop into your DAW as there is no internal track building like some of the other vsts
Ah, cool. So just take the pattern you want, drag and drop and done. And I assume you can mix as many patterns on the track as you want such as intros, verse, chorus, fills, etc.

I hardly ever use patterns because normally they sound like crap but with this thing, they may actually sound good if you take the time to actually compose a drum track.

Yeah, pretty sure I'm going to be picking this up. Probably some time this week.

yehboy1 wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:14 am Looks great but from an e-drumming perspective it has a ways to go. Going to wait til they sort that out. Probably not a problem though for finger drumming or drawing notes on a piano roll.
You see, this is where something like BFD3 becomes worth it (for me): it sounds great, there is access to a wide range of sampled kits and drums, most kits have very detailed articulations and the grooves sound real and dynamic. I love it.

I plan to take a look at MODO Drum at some point to see if its something I'd use. But since I got BFD I've used it on almost every track since.

I use MODO Bass a lot and I've passed over other bass instruments because modo covers a lot.

I've listened the demos and have found this very un-inspiring as a drum alternative. Now, I don't own it or have it but the demo's don't do it justice. Imo, of course.

If I'm looking for drums I'm looking for what IS NOT available elsewhere. Unless I'm way off there is NOTHING that is elsewhere of what is available. Therefor, for the price, I do not understand where this is special.

Please, feel free to correct me where I am wrong..................

wagtunes wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:52 pm I just happened to notice the price for this thing. $400 for drums?

Surely that has to be a typo.
That price is only for people who have made unflattering comments on the product in this thread.

j/k

There was a deal for pre-orders and a 50% discount for those with MODO Bass.

egbert wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:06 am
wagtunes wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:52 pm I just happened to notice the price for this thing. $400 for drums?

Surely that has to be a typo.
That price is only for people who have made unflattering comments on the product in this thread.

j/k

There was a deal for pre-orders and a 50% discount for those with MODO Bass.
I am picking this up today. Even though I could "technically" say I don't need anymore drums, this is truly special. I would still have trouble justifying the $400 sticker price for myself personally, but for $149 I would have to be insane to not pick this up.

As with MODO Bass, this may become my new go to drums for everything but EDM.

Return to “Instruments”