Chernobyl Synth/ Maybe MIDI Controller Concept

...and how to do so...
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Does anyone know what metal/material was used for the Chernobyl Power Plant console? Like that greyish-greenish-tan?

i think the grey/green is paint.

the console is probably steel or maybe aluminium, steel is most likely.

Well, since we all used to be nuclear power plant designers back in the USSR in the 50's....

... then enamel paint on steel, like the kind of device I posted. The metal is irrelevant though; its under the paint!

I'd use enamel spraypaint, but your best bet is go looking for some websites dedicated to restoring old electronic test equipment, posibly even military gear
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

humbrol paints, good for military models :hihi:

whyterabbyt wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:32 pm Well, since we all used to be nuclear power plant designers back in the USSR in the 50's....

... then enamel paint on steel, like the kind of device I posted. The metal is irrelevant though; its under the paint!

I'd use enamel spraypaint, but your best bet is go looking for some websites dedicated to restoring old electronic test equipment, posibly even military gear
Chernobyl was built in the late 70’s, not 50’s.
Russian gear often looked like that, even in the 90’s. E.g. I served my military duty in the navy, in the Russian built missile boat. All the gear inside looked very much like that.

Got enough of that shit then. Design like OP present has NO nostalgy nor any other value to me, and those who think its cool, are just childish and stupid. Think what you value.

https://youtu.be/oZ74Rqh7yDE

whyterabbyt wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:25 am
Unaspected wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:32 am And I love the image that was posted by whyterabbyt. Old military style UIs look great.
Its an image of a valve signal generator by Dan Wilson at the Hideaway Studio website; he reconditions old valve gear, has also done some sample sets with them as well.

Also see Hainbach's videos for someone actively using similar old signal generators and the like.

Ive actually got one that I think is the exact same model as the picture, that I bought off ebay for about £15 as a nonworking shell. Got 3 or 4 others as well. I dont have the skills to rebuild them, and doubt I could afford to pay someone to do that, but in the never-never land that is my list of ideas and intentions, it'd be nice to turn them into control surfaces for something.
I'll have to check those videos out. Thank you.

Indeed, they would be great for placing other electronics inside - controllers or circuit bent noisemakers.

Harry_HH wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:52 pm Design like OP present has NO nostalgy nor any other value to me, and those who think its cool, are just childish and stupid. Think what you value.
People who appreciate that design aesthetic are childish and stupid.

Very good.

Unaspected wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:52 pm Design like OP present has NO nostalgy nor any other value to me, and those who think its cool, are just childish and stupid. Think what you value.

Very good.
[/

If you want just to appreciate that aeshetics, why associate that to something like Chernobyl?

Why associate any romantic or nostalgic emotion to that?

For me its like someone ablazed planned a synth UI, which imitates the Auschwiz cremator. How cool was that?

Very good, indeed.

Harry_HH wrote:the Hiroshima sample pack
Harry_HH wrote:a synth UI, which imitates the Auschwiz cremator
For someone who is getting on their high horse about someone using the design esthetics from Chernobyl (and who has not in any way referenced the victims of the disaster in a negative or disrespectful way) you seem to be pretty adept at exploiting horrific disasters for your own purposes.

Can we give it a rest now please?

he prob meant a generic control room look, and as chernobyl is in the new again, he will used it as an example

no need to get ya kex in a twist :roll:

Harry_HH wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:11 pm
Unaspected wrote:
Harry_HH wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:52 pm Design like OP present has NO nostalgy nor any other value to me, and those who think its cool, are just childish and stupid. Think what you value.

Very good.
If you want just to appreciate that aeshetics, why associate that to something like Chernobyl?

For me its like someone ablazed planned a synth UI, which imitates the Auschwiz cremator. How cool was that?

Very good, indeed.
I'm sorry that the OP has triggered something in you but I simply enjoyed the idea based on the imagery of Chernobyl. Both pre and post disaster images have inspired many people around the world to create art of varying degrees - and that's a good thing.

I don't think anyone is trying to rouse any nostalgia here - That is a rather bizarre concept to promote.

EDIT: Thanks for editing so it looks like I said what you had written. Effectively arguing with yourself there. Smooth. :wink:
Harry_HH wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:15 pm
Unaspected wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:52 pm Design like OP present has NO nostalgy nor any other value to me, and those who think its cool, are just childish and stupid. Think what you value.

Very good.
[/

Very good, indeed.
Last edited by Unaspected on Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Forgotten wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:28 pm
Harry_HH wrote:the Hiroshima sample pack
Harry_HH wrote:a synth UI, which imitates the Auschwiz cremator
For someone who is getting on their high horse about someone using the design esthetics from Chernobyl (and who has not in any way referenced the victims of the disaster in a negative or disrespectful way) you seem to be pretty adept at exploiting horrific disasters for your own purposes.

Can we give it a rest now please?
one was also an actual accident with no evil intent.

Just to clarify to everyone, I'm not trying to disrespect anyone, or make fun of Chernobyl, or anything like that. What happened was sad, and horrible. This is merely an idea that had popped into my head.

Ooooh! Another thread :hyper: :wheee: :wheee: :hyper:

Fox_GAMING_NTF wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:51 pm Just to clarify to everyone, I'm not trying to disrespect anyone, or make fun of Chernobyl, or anything like that. What happened was sad, and horrible. This is merely an idea that had popped into my head.
Don't worry. Most of us get that. :)

Just saw this: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-49251471

Atomik Vodka! :party:

Return to “DIY: Build it and they will come”