Super 8 - New polysynth by Native Instruments

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Super 8 has a bitchen filter and killer osc. I think i like it more than the pro 5 from u-he and diva.... But its on par with bs oberhousen.. which i love a lot.

Hex

Hexfix93 wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 8:37 pm Super 8 has a bitchen filter and killer osc. I think i like it more than the pro 5 from u-he and diva.... But its on par with bs oberhousen.. which i love a lot.

Hex
Only that it's 1/3 the price. Hahah :)

MacBook Pro i5 3.1GHz

20% for S8 (eight voices)
10% for Monark
Check out my YouTube channel for dose of Acid: https://www.youtube.com/acidalex

A tip for FL Studio, Tools>Macros>Switch smart disable for all plugins helps to reduce CPU usage. That is, even if this setting is enabled in plugin wrapper, after loading the plugin instances, applying it from the macros helps.

EvilDragon wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 3:18 pm You can definitely demo it in Reaktor Player, it should open, but there's a time limit. Once you buy it and authorize it, there will be no time limit. But you cannot do any structure edits in the Player (for obvious reasons), for that you do need full Reaktor.
I have Komplete Kontrol S49 MK11 controller and seem to navigate with it OK but in the case of this Demo of Super 8 I am confused. I do have Reaktor Player installed in Native Access but it's not showing up just the full on version When booting KK so get two 30 minute countdowns. One for Super 8 which is how it should be and one for Reaktor. Super 8 loads from the hardware KK 49 browser, but if I buy this synth I'd like to see if it can load in player. Trouble is there is no way I can see how to load or bring up Reaktor Player in KK software. I am concerned I would still get the Demo limitation of Reaktor which for now don't plan on buying. So thought I'd ask here or how ever long it takes to hear from NI which I haven't contacted yet.

When you load Super 8 in KK, you're loading it in Reaktor (Player). If you buy Super 8, you won't have any demo timeouts, because Reaktor Player is meant to run authorized Reaktor Player ensembles, like Super 8.

EvilDragon wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 8:57 pm When you load Super 8 in KK, you're loading it in Reaktor (Player). If you buy Super 8, you won't have any demo timeouts, because Reaktor Player is meant to run authorized Reaktor Player ensembles, like Super 8.
Thanks I just had another Demo session but noticed this time the top "Timeout box" and right below it says factory content and of course below it is the 2nd one for Super 8. So as you say both go away when it gets authorized. I will buy this one, easy to program and nice sounding to Boot. I hope the preset management isn't wonky though

As a NI Komplete Kontrol A25 user, I'm very interested in how the Super 8 is handled with KK.
How logical and intuitive is that. Does it feel right?

I cannot test it myself, because KK doesn't see it. Only Reator Player does.

Could anyone shine the light?
Post some screens of assigned knobs with pages maybe.

You might need to refresh the libraries in KK.

spacepluk wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:24 pm You might need to refresh the libraries in KK.
It worked, thanks! :tu:

It is said that S8 i modelled after the Prophet-5 rev3, but in use it sounds like NI also have compensated for the bass/volume drop when you crank up the resonance on the S8 in a way that the original filter doesn't in the same way?
It still sounds beefy with resonance turned up higher.
It is a really good thing.
Add to that the sound that the character knob adds (which I use most of the time) plus the bandpass and highpass and it's a different beast which originally may have been modeled on the prophet, but is tweaked so much that even the filter section is a beast of its own.

Love this synth overall. The oscillator section is one of the best all around when it comes to the pure sound and the simple yet very functional usage. The pulswidth saw is also one of my favorites. In fact the pure sound of the oscillator section with filters totally open is, in my mind, maybe "best in class"!
The filters are great too, but they have tougher competition!
It's a Synth that has become my "turn to" VA in favor of Repro-5.

Magnus101 wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:54 pm It is said that S8 i modelled after the Prophet-5 rev3, but in use it sounds like NI also have compensated for the bass/volume drop when you crank up the resonance on the S8 in a way that the original filter doesn't in the same way?
It still sounds beefy with resonance turned up higher.
It is a really good thing.
Add to that the sound that the character knob adds (which I use most of the time) plus the bandpass and highpass and it's a different beast which originally may have been modeled on the prophet, but is tweaked so much that even the filter section is a beast of its own.

Love this synth overall. The oscillator section is one of the best all around when it comes to the pure sound and the simple yet very functional usage. The pulswidth saw is also one of my favorites. In fact the pure sound of the oscillator section with filters totally open is, in my mind, maybe "best in class"!
The filters are great too, but they have tougher competition!
It's a Synth that has become my "turn to" VA in favor of Repro-5.
Agree with all this, big time. And the simple fact that there are two LFOs makes it much more flexible in terms of modulation than Repro-5, I've found (though sure, Repro-5 allows turning the 2nd Oscillator into an LFO, but then you have a One-osc synth...).

The LFO modes are hard to memorize at first (the functionalities of Mono, Polyphonic, Retrigger and Legato are ALL tucked into a single menu with not clearly helpful names like 'trigger' and 'monotrig', but once I read-through the help menu info enough times, it all clicked into place).

And again, to compare -- the Repro-5 LFO is monophonic, you have to again use the second osc as an LFO to have a polyphonic LFO there. Super-8, either LFO can be set to two different modes of Polyphonic behavior, as desired. Good stuff.

(I realize, to be fair, Repro-5 is MEANT to reproduce the behavior of the original Prophet synth, so this sort of comparison is a bit silly. But at the end of the day, sitting in front of my computer and programming, these differences end up being crucial for me).

Magnus101 wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:54 pm It is said that S8 i modelled after the Prophet-5 rev3, but in use it sounds like NI also have compensated for the bass/volume drop when you crank up the resonance on the S8 in a way that the original filter doesn't in the same way?
Character knob is quite important here. But there is some bass drop as you increase resonance, still.

EvilDragon wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 5:13 am
Character knob is quite important here. But there is some bass drop as you increase resonance, still.
Good discussion this. Is there any way to avoid losing bass or regain it? Best way to do it if at all?

Not as far as I can tell. I mean you can always try messing with the structure, since it's fully open, but it's not for the faint of heart. :)

Return to “Instruments”