IK Multimedia releases MODO DRUM

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
MODO DRUM

reggie1979 wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:32 am I've listened the demos and have found this very un-inspiring as a drum alternative. Now, I don't own it or have it but the demo's don't do it justice. Imo, of course.

If I'm looking for drums I'm looking for what IS NOT available elsewhere. Unless I'm way off there is NOTHING that is elsewhere of what is available. Therefor, for the price, I do not understand where this is special.

Please, feel free to correct me where I am wrong..................
From another forum based on our competitive analysis (and possibly already posted here, sorry if so):
  • More included kits than most of the base packages of products we compared against.
  • Smaller disk footprint and memory usage than most
  • More effects than most, and derived directly from world-class products (T-RackS and AmpliTube)
  • Convolution reverb included vs all but one we compared to
  • More maximum kit pieces in a kit than all but one
  • Shell customization which many don't have and MODO Drum is very deep customization overall, not just shell
  • Interaction between kit pieces: Some don't have it at all, MODO Drum does and is part of the deeply realistic customization available
  • Some don't have humanization whereas MODO Drum does
  • Some don't have resizable GUIs but MODO Drum does
  • Infinite velocity layers and round robin? None we looked at had those, MODO Drum does
  • Fastest kit loading in the west goes to MODO Drum dominates the high noon showdown
  • Real tuning modeling based on physical modeling characteristics? Only MODO Drum
  • Interaction between drumheads modeled for most realism? Only MODO Drum
  • No limitations of specifically-sampled signal chain - Again, only MODO Drum.
    MODO Drum has selectable beat area on the heads, while offering the width, typology and materials modeling unlike others
  • Kick beater typology and drum stick type modeling? MODO Drum appears alone here
The DanceTech videos really show a lot of the functionality and sound too, from a third-party perspective and they've been posted here. If any of those were missed I'll grab them.

Cool, sorry to intrude.

Just purchased. I have no doubt this will be my go to drums for everything not EDM.

The combination of Jamstix 4 and MODO drum looks pretty interesting. A custom mapping for MODO drums in jamstix which could exploit some of the variability it offers would be pretty cool methinks. MODO drums follows the GM mapping so you are good to go straight away but getting the L/R and other variabilities in stroke position/hat opening etc could take some more fine tuning.

This is why I asked about DAW compatibility. Drag and drop or MIDI patterns does not work in Cubase 7. I get the little pointer with the plus sign but when I go to drop it onto the track, nothing happens.

Oh well, I never used MIDI patterns anyway so I guess I won't miss this. Still, a bit annoying.

Hmm. I can confirm that dragging grooves to a track works in Reaper and Logic.
Brian Garrison
Tracks In The Box
YouTube | Facebook

It was probably tested in Cubase 10.

b15fliptop wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:26 pm Hmm. I can confirm that dragging grooves to a track works in Reaper and Logic.
Works here on MuLab and Reaper. Don't own any other DAWs. Figures. The DAW I actually use for making music, it doesn't work.

FML.

reggie1979 wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:33 pm It was probably tested in Cubase 10.
I'm sure it was. But still, drag and drop? It's so basic. How does it not work?

True.

wagtunes wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:21 pm This is why I asked about DAW compatibility. Drag and drop or MIDI patterns does not work in Cubase 7. I get the little pointer with the plus sign but when I go to drop it onto the track, nothing happens.

Oh well, I never used MIDI patterns anyway so I guess I won't miss this. Still, a bit annoying.
This can be fixed... I had the issue a few versions ago (Cubase 7 with Windows 7 ) and I found a solution. I'll see if I can find the thread and copy it to you. I used midi drag and drop with a variety of drum engines in Cubase on PC.

reggie1979 wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:34 pm Cool, sorry to intrude.
Not at all. Even though we've had an entry in the MODO line out for a bit, it still isn't always going to be 100% clear to everybody what some key differentiators are. The web site has a lot of material, sure, but there's going to be more to explaining a product that is a drum VSTi (with which we're all probably quite familiar) but with some things outside of and/or due to the physical modeling aspect. so in short, no intrusion at all.

wagtunes wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:21 pm This is why I asked about DAW compatibility. Drag and drop or MIDI patterns does not work in Cubase 7. I get the little pointer with the plus sign but when I go to drop it onto the track, nothing happens.

The devs are aware of this happening in some versions of Cubase and should have a fix released as soon as possible.

egbert wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:12 pm The combination of Jamstix 4 and MODO drum looks pretty interesting. A custom mapping for MODO drums in jamstix which could exploit some of the variability it offers would be pretty cool methinks. MODO drums follows the GM mapping so you are good to go straight away but getting the L/R and other variabilities in stroke position/hat opening etc could take some more fine tuning.
I've been in contact with Ralph. Hoping to see something great come out of it, which wouldn't be surprising from him.

Peter - IK Multimedia wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:10 pm

The devs are aware of this happening in some versions of Cubase and should have a fix released as soon as possible.
Thanks. And again my apologies if I came off snarky. It was not my intention. I still can't believe the cost of some of the drum sets out there. That I actually was able to get this for under $150 totally floors me. Might be the bargain of the year for me. I just put together a kit from scratch for my current song that I absolutely know for a fact I could not have created with anything that I had in my arsenal up to this point. If you take the time to put on your programmer's cap, this thing is a virtual playground the likes I've never seen before. This and MODO Bass will now go side by side on all non EDM tracks.

Return to “Instruments”