Valhalla Delay released

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
ValhallaDelay

Wow...

Are we back into the fanboys era... I hope, you´ve got rid of death penalty for such blasphemic requests like mine...

Trancit wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:56 pm Wow...

Are we back into the fanboys era... I hope, you´ve got rid of death penalty for such blasphemic requests like mine...
The upcoming "Clarity" mode will be "cleaner/brighter" than some of the current modes, but ValhallaDelay was NEVER intended to be a transparent/clean delay as that's what every DAW offers as a stock plugin (as well as many 3rd-party delays). Turning the Age control to 0 and setting the Era to Future will brighten things up considerably in many of the current modes as well as put the noise down around -130dB. Like any plugin, ValhallaDelay is a tool, and you need to choose the correct tool for the job at hand.
Don Gunn
ValhallaDSP Support

1000 different delays with different featuresets are out there but still there is someone who want to put every feature in every plugin.
bleen wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:45 pm Like any plugin, ValhallaDelay is a tool, and you need to choose the correct tool for the job at hand.
Wise words.
Murderous duck!

As mentioned, there are other delays for crystal clear sound. But there are also delays for tape, BBD, drum, this, that... To me Valhalla Delay is a unique take on the lo fi delay. It's does it's own thing. And I am not a Valhalla fanboy - I had all the reverbs and sold them - the sound is not for me. But Delay is a special thing. :phones:

bleen wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:45 pm The upcoming "Clarity" mode will be "cleaner/brighter" than some of the current modes, but ValhallaDelay was NEVER intended to be a transparent/clean delay as that's what every DAW offers as a stock plugin (as well as many 3rd-party delays). Turning the Age control to 0 and setting the Era to Future will brighten things up considerably in many of the current modes as well as put the noise down around -130dB. Like any plugin, ValhallaDelay is a tool, and you need to choose the correct tool for the job at hand.
I understand all what you are saying here...

What I don´t understand: Why do you restrict yourself that much??

Of course, I can reach out for other plugins, but that´s the same as saying a potential customer: Hey, why don´t you just buy from another company... they are doing the same as we do... so no need to buy here...

Sorry, if this is not understandable what I mean, but if I make a product semi modular where the user can choose different modes and eras, why is it that important to just offer muffeled and noisy choices instead of offering something for everybody??

Correct me if I am wrong, but the product ist still called Valhalla Delay and not Valhalla Vintage Delay, isn´t it??

No offense here, I just don´t get it tbh... I would really like to buy it as it is a great reverb plugin too, but without a clean mode, it´s no option for me...

PS: Perhaps, it´s all waste what I wrote here and the upcoming mode will be enough for me... let´s see... :tu:

Trancit wrote:
Of course, I can reach out for other plugins, but that´s the same as saying a potential customer: Hey, why don´t you just buy from another company... they are doing the same as we do... so no need to buy here...

No, it’s not the same.
gadgets an gizmos..make noise https://soundcloud.com/crystalawareness Restocked: 3/24
old stuff http://ww.dancingbearaudioresearch.com/
if this post is edited -it was for punctuation, grammar, or to make it coherent (or make me seem coherent).

Trancit wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:26 pm
Look at Melda´s Turbodelay... besides all kinds of different modes/models, there is a clean one too...
Maybe that's the reason why I wouldn't touch turbodelay even if I'd get it for free.

I don’t see any problem in asking for a neutral sounding mode, and maybe that’s what clarity mode will more or less be. Cuz maybe some users like valhalla’s Interface enough that they’d like it to be their go-to. To put it another way, if we do get a mode like this it’s not like I’m going to suddenly feel like VD is some bloated, unfocused plug-in.

Trancit wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:59 am What I don´t understand: Why do you restrict yourself that much??
I get where you're coming from; and other delays don't have the Diffusion mode... but there isn't really any point in questioning someone on their product. Make the suggestion and move on.

PS I'm still enjoying the Bitwig license you sold me :tu:

Trancit wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:59 am No offense here, I just don´t get it tbh...
Sean specializes in dirty and coloured. Clean is not his thing. Do you get that? Read it again, if necessary.

Trancit wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:59 am What I don´t understand: Why do you restrict yourself that much??

Sorry, if this is not understandable what I mean, but if I make a product semi modular where the user can choose different modes and eras, why is it that important to just offer muffeled and noisy choices instead of offering something for everybody??

Correct me if I am wrong, but the product ist still called Valhalla Delay and not Valhalla Vintage Delay, isn´t it??

No offense here, I just don´t get it tbh... I would really like to buy it as it is a great reverb plugin too, but without a clean mode, it´s no option for me...

PS: Perhaps, it´s all waste what I wrote here and the upcoming mode will be enough for me... let´s see... :tu:
When you start playing the game of "why not just one more feature" then how many is enough? Everyone's going to have different visions and opinions. To you, a clean mode was important. Other people thought a lack of ducking was a deal-breaker. Some people are just going to want a mega-delay like Late Replies. So what is just "one more mode - this one clean" as the one critical missing feature for you, becomes "I need an 8-tap mega delay with independent LFOs per tap" for someone else (extreme example, but you get the point).

No one plugin will be everything for every person. Someone's always going to want more. That's when the developer's vision comes into play. You can express your opinion, they may agree with you and make some changes (like we're seeing with brighter BBD modes with ducking), they may not. But ultimately, the plugin will have some limits. It will have to.

After I pointed out the PCM-42 just visible in one photo, Sean also posted over on Gearslutz that he's still working on getting the limiter section of that right and that it might appear in an even later release. So this next round of ValhallaDelay updates may not even be the last and you may get even more options. If none ultimately meet all your needs, then don't buy, or use a different delay when you need a different delay.

Era, color, age, wow and flutter would do what in a clean mode?

This is called architecture. You cannot just ignore it.

CrystalWizard wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:08 pm
Trancit wrote:

No, it’s not the same.
Agreed. In fact its the opposite. What they're actually saying is 'if you want something we dont do, get something different that does it'
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

perfumer wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:02 pm Era, color, age, wow and flutter would do what in a clean mode?

This is called architecture. You cannot just ignore it.
We’d just need a mode where one age category with wow etc at 0 gave you a transparent delay. You could still dial in wow and flutter if you want.

This convo reminds me of the old “Reason can’t have audio in” days.

mjudge55 wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:20 pm This convo reminds me of the old “Reason can’t have audio in” days.
Reminds me of every KVR plugin thread ever "You should add the thing I want..."
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

Return to “Effects”