Valhalla Delay released

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
ValhallaDelay

whyterabbyt wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:25 pm
mjudge55 wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:20 pm This convo reminds me of the old “Reason can’t have audio in” days.
Reminds me of every KVR plugin thread ever "You should add the thing I want..."
If folks were asking for a phaser or some such I’d get it but in this case I almost suspect we’re talking about something the developer is working on anyway that’s pretty basic.

mjudge55 wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:30 pm
whyterabbyt wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:25 pm
mjudge55 wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:20 pm This convo reminds me of the old “Reason can’t have audio in” days.
Reminds me of every KVR plugin thread ever "You should add the thing I want..."
If folks were asking for a phaser or some such I’d get it but in this case I almost suspect we’re talking about something the developer is working on anyway that’s pretty basic.
Yes, cookbook type of basic that he could implement in 3-4 hours. Compare that to the modes that he's been working on for months. Where's the difference coming from, how do you think?

Somebody on another forum a couple weeks ago asked why the Soma Lyra-8 doesn't have a MIDI input. Asking for Valhalla Delay to have a "no character" mode isn't quite on that level of Missing The Point, but... it kind of is.

Instruments and effects aren't just a list of features duct-taped together.

foosnark wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 5:28 pm Somebody on another forum a couple weeks ago asked why the Soma Lyra-8 doesn't have a MIDI input. Asking for Valhalla Delay to have a "no character" mode isn't quite on that level of Missing The Point, but... it kind of is.

Instruments and effects aren't just a list of features duct-taped together.
I don’t think I miss the point. Anyway, Sean will do what he does and it’ll remain a great delay either way.

How does a thread on a delay plugin manage 77 pages? Delays are the most boring, bread & butter tools imaginable. I can't believe I just paid $5 for one, WA's new Mutant delay. I do know, really - I bought it because it has built-in ducking, which is something I can't believe I haven't come across before now. It's genius! But I didn't bother to trial it or even listen to it, it's just a delay.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

BONES wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 3:24 am How does a thread on a delay plugin manage 77 pages? Delays are the most boring, bread & butter tools imaginable. I can't believe I just paid $5 for one, WA's new Mutant delay. I do know, really - I bought it because it has built-in ducking, which is something I can't believe I haven't come across before now. It's genius!
Wait till you discover stereophonic sound :love:

Delay can definitely be a boring, bread & butter tool. Then there are other delay plugins which are good enough to generate 77 pages of interest.

Perhaps WA's thread needs some more attention :tu:

One can build [hyper dynamic] ducking in Ableton in 4 clicks for any plugin.
Murderous duck!

zerocrossing wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 4:38 am You never disappoint.
I don't know about that. There is some deep Zen-like inspiration here. A car is a car. A computer is a computer. A mouse is a mouse. A synthesizer is a synthesizer. A reverb is just a reverb.

You don't need to check out any of those things.

Stating the obvious here, a couple of years back (ten?) I was thinking in the same lines as Bones and set out on a mission to clean up my collection of Delay effects, so I started out with Soundtoys Echoboy and thought it would be enough for everything. I started out with trying to replicate some of my go-to settings in the Audio Damage Dubstation delay. While I could get into the same ballpark (70-80% similarity), Dubstation did the effect I wanted better than Echoboy and after a while it just felt like an utter waste of time.

/C
ANALOG DEEP HOUSE 2 for U-HE DIVA
HARDWARE SAMPLER FANATIC - Akai S1100/S950/Z8 - Casio FZ20m - Emu Emax I - Ensoniq ASR10/EPS

david.beholder wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 5:18 amOne can build [hyper dynamic] ducking in Ableton in 4 clicks for any plugin.
As one can undoubtedly do in other hosts but why waste 4 clicks when you don't need to?
DrGonzo wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 5:43 amA car is a car.
A car is absolute not a car but I'd liken a delay effect to a small but necessary part of a car, like a door handle. Who cares what it's like as long as it allows you to open the door.
I was thinking in the same lines as Bones and set out on a mission to clean up my collection of Delay effects, so I started out with Soundtoys Echoboy and thought it would be enough for everything. I started out with trying to replicate some of my go-to settings in the Audio Damage Dubstation delay. While I could get into the same ballpark (70-80% similarity), Dubstation did the effect I wanted better than Echoboy and after a while it just felt like an utter waste of time.
So why not chuck Echoboy? I've tried a few Soundtoys FX but found them largely useless. I can't get rid of the expired demo licenses from iLok though, which is annoying.
Gamma-UT wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 7:07 amDelays are boring! There’s nothing to them! You can’t tell me otherwise, I’m an expert! Ooh, what’s this ducking thing?
Ducking is not part of the delay process, although it is often part of the production process involved in making a delay work in a mix. I'd call a delay with built-in ducking a multi-effect. A very obvious combo but a multi-effect for sure. Definitely worth a fiver. No delay is worth $50.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

BONES wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 7:32 am I'd call a delay with built-in ducking a multi-effect. A very obvious combo but a multi-effect for sure. Definitely worth a fiver. No delay is worth $50.
Hmm, interesting...
I bought it because it has built-in ducking, which is something I can't believe I haven't come across before now. It's genius! But I didn't bother to trial it or even listen to it, it's just a delay.
...and curious.

BONES wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 7:32 am So why not chuck Echoboy? I've tried a few Soundtoys FX but found them largely useless. I can't get rid of the expired demo licenses from iLok though, which is annoying.
I really like the output section of Echoboy. It has a lot of saturation/EQ emulations (or rather approximations) that turns a standard (boring) ping-pong delay into something really nice. Another thing I like with Echoboy is that with the multitap - you can easily turn it into a lofi reverb. Combine that with the output section and it's actually pretty damn awesome.

/C
HARDWARE SAMPLER FANATIC - Akai S1100/S950/Z8 - Casio FZ20m - Emu Emax I - Ensoniq ASR10/EPS

david.beholder wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 5:18 am One can build [hyper dynamic] ducking in Ableton in 4 clicks for any plugin.
If you mean with envelope follower or shaperd device, then it's Ableton with Max4Live. Otherwise you can create an inline send-return rack , with a compressor after the delay with it's sidechain monitoring the dry input signal instead. I have a few of these Racks already, so it's dead easy to make a new if I acquire another delay without built in ducking. Edit: takes more than 4 clicks though :wink:
Always Read the Manual!

PieBerger wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:01 am
david.beholder wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 5:18 am One can build [hyper dynamic] ducking in Ableton in 4 clicks for any plugin.
If you mean with envelope follower or shaperd device, then it's Ableton with Max4Live. Otherwise you can create an inline send-return rack , with a compressor after the delay with it's sidechain monitoring the dry input signal instead. I have a few of these Racks already, so it's dead easy to make a new if I acquire another delay without built in ducking. Edit: takes more than 4 clicks though :wink:
Edit/Delete. I am an idiot without coffee.

/C

DrGonzo wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:04 am
PieBerger wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:01 am
Well, I have no cake in this, but I think you could do it much simpler by just drawing in an automation curve and copy that?

/C
If it's a very simple source and you only plan on using delay once in all of your projects ever then maybe :) , but since that is unlikely I'd argue setting up and saving a Rack that can be used many, many times over it's much less hassle than manually drawing in automation curves :D
Always Read the Manual!

DrGonzo wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:04 am Well, I have no cake in this, but I think you could do it much simpler by just drawing in an automation curve and copy that?

/C
That assumes you are ducking a static, repeating pattern. Having a compressor doing the ducking allows a lot more playing freedom (unless you really, really like drawing automation by hand). It's also pretty common to play into the ducking, which is why you often find it as a feature in guitar rack and stomp effects: build up a bunch of dense notes and then let the delay ring out.

Return to “Effects”