Creative Intent Remnant, experimental grain delay

VST, AU, etc. plug-in Virtual Effects discussion
JoeCat
KVRian
1304 posts since 19 May, 2011 from North Carolina

Post Sat Aug 17, 2019 6:16 pm

BONES wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:09 pm
I bought it yesterday. I haven't had much time to play with it yet but I expect to get a bit of use out of it in fairly specific situations. It reminds me a bit of the sort of stuff Arcade does...
Just picked it up, same.

No brainer at $29 USD if you're looking to pickup Iris 2 at PluginBoutique.

My 30 minute impressions:
Cons (bad news first):
  • The text contrast is meh.
  • Limited # of presets (it's not obvious, but there are a few folders in the list, so there are at least more presets then it may initially seem).
  • The presets all contain their extension (.xml) - minor but distracting detail
  • No Mix lock (my favorite Valhalla feature - all effects should have this!)
  • No sync for delay (though at least time is displayed when adjusting) I know it's not a traditional delay but it's helpful, especially for drums.
Pros:
  • Except for the text contrast the interface is good (and resizable).
  • The parameters I tested were all automatable.
  • Parameter values are displayed when adjusted (I know some people don't care but for pitch, delay time it's valuable for many).
  • Can cover a bit more sonic territory than at first it seems.
  • Can do pretty interesting stuff on drums (need that delay sync!) and pads.
  • The combination of the Envelope / Freeze / Duck controls add quite a bit of nuance to the mix - for example, you could adjust the envelope so kick / snare hits duck the effect, but subtle hats get mixed in. Nice. This makes it something I couldn't easily do with a Grain Delay rack in Live, for example.
  • Works really well as a post reverb effect.
So, if you're into creative effects, especially for ambient genres, etc., it's a decent little piece of kit :)
Here it is on a piano post-reverb - creates an interesting ducked wash :)
(don't know about y'all but these dropbox links only work if I open a new tab, not embedded)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hwvzu1euu5fjt ... t.mp3?dl=0

JoeCat
KVRian
1304 posts since 19 May, 2011 from North Carolina

Re: Creative Intent Remnant, experimental grain delay

Post Sat Aug 17, 2019 6:22 pm

(I should also mention that I could noodle with grain delays and reverse pitch effects all day (Valhalla Shimmer gives me eargasms), and if you add some RC-20 Retro Color vinyl crackle and tape crap I'll make you breakfast, so take my comments from someone whose tastes may differ from those looking to produce the next big room banger.)

exmatproton
KVRAF
2495 posts since 25 Apr, 2011

Post Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:13 pm

i like it. The UI is resetting itself when opened after closing though (size-wise), which is quite annoying. Other then that; great tool

Dirtgrain
KVRist
227 posts since 12 Jan, 2019

Post Sun Aug 18, 2019 7:00 am

The labels are hard to read, but you learn what the controls are if you use it frequently (I tend to take time off from this or that plugin, so it will be a bit of a hindrance).
I would like to get longer reverb-like tails (the freeze function is not quite doing it for me)--not sure if this would be hard to implement.

sureno
KVRian
988 posts since 4 May, 2008 from West London Depot

Post Sun Aug 18, 2019 1:16 pm

Ignored it after watching PB’s demo video but after the videos below bought it

zentatonic
KVRist
161 posts since 16 Mar, 2004

Post Wed Aug 21, 2019 6:24 am

Amazing plugin. I'm a sucker for rhythmic fsu plugs like Sandman Pro, Camelphat/Space, Tantra etc., so I jumped right on this.

Return to “Effects”