looking for audio editor that can auto slice at transient

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi,

I'm looking for a stand-alone audio editor [windows], that can slice large (field) recordings into smaller audio files by detecting transients and use those as the cut point.

I've been doing a lot of field recording and now I need to cut up the audio into usable sounds, process (clean and level) them a bit and organize them to build a library. So I went looking for software that does this thinking I would find something like that pretty easy. Since so many people are working with samples and walk around recording stuff. But no ... it seems non existent. :?

There are a few DAW's and apps that have this sort of functionality but usually as an internal process for mapping samples or tempo mapping etc... But I'm really looking for a field recording cutting/organizing tool.

anyone know if this exists ? thanks

* I know the good old ReCycle does transient detection but it's also pretty limited and focused on beats and loop making.
Last edited by asiohead on Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

wave knife?

Image Line´s Edison: https://www.image-line.com/plugins/Tools/Edison/

Works as a plugin or standalone...

Reaper can do the job
menu>Dynamic split items
or right click item to process>Item processing>Dynamic split items.
12 years old PC running :Reaper;Reason;Dune;Zampler;Kontakr;Reaktor;and many others countless vst :D

Imageline's SliceX. Standalone and Plugin

reusenoise wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:07 pm Reaper can do the job
menu>Dynamic split items
OP is looking for a standalone editor

Audacity via the macros

Thanks guys! Couple of great suggestions I didn't know about, really appreciate it!

deleted
Last edited by replicant X on Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Each DAW has a different sound.

replicant X wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:06 am
Forgotten wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:22 pm
menu>Dynamic split items
Reaper is one of the best audio editor and it's standalone.
Reaper is not a standalone audio editor, and I'm pretty sure you're not going to convince the OP that it is...

Forgotten wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:49 am
menu>Dynamic split items
Reaper is not a standalone audio editor, and I'm pretty sure you're not going to convince the OP that it is...
Please define standalone audio editor
12 years old PC running :Reaper;Reason;Dune;Zampler;Kontakr;Reaktor;and many others countless vst :D

reusenoise wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:50 am
I don´t have a valid definition for you, but for me personally, there are DAWs and Audio editors...

A DAW like Reaper while quite powerful on the audio editing side, has it´s focus mainly on sequencing and arranging... it doesn´t mean it cannot do the other by some degree, but it´s not made/specialized for that ...

Audio editors like Edison, Wavelab, Sound Forge etc... are specialized tools for 99.9% audio editing ... meaning while they got sometimes some multitrack features too, they are not made for arranging sequencing but for detailled work on single loaded waveforms and got very special tools for that, which aren´t present in programms like Reaper...

The basics they do all, but when it comes to detail work, a DAW isn´t an audio editor at all...

deleted
Last edited by replicant X on Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Each DAW has a different sound.

reusenoise wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:50 am
Forgotten wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:49 am
menu>Dynamic split items
That's really for the OP to define, but usually if someone asks for a standalone app with a specific function they don't usually mean a DAW.

I would guess the OP means an app whose function encompasses manipulation of audio files but does not include additional functions.

The difference is whether it's destructive to the original file or not, isn't it? An audio editor changes the source file; with a DAW you have to render out a new version.
Tranzistow Tutorials: http://vze26m98.net/tranzistow/
Xenakis in America: http://oneblockavenue.net

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”