PSP goes Classic Black, PSP FETpressor

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Love it!
Purchased.

I randomly demoed it and... I don't say this lightly and I don't like overhyping things, but this is probably the best ITB compressor ever. :party: (didn't try the BlackRoosters yet)

FETpressor is some next level shit. It so immediately good sounding and easy to find the right spot, it's ridiculous. The GUI could be prettier though, and PSP can make pretty GUIs, just look at the PSP 2445.

zenvoxpop wrote:I randomly demoed it and... I don't say this lightly and I don't like overhyping things, but this is probably the best ITB compressor ever. :party: (didn't try the BlackRoosters yet)

FETpressor is some next level shit. It so immediately good sounding and easy to find the right spot, it's ridiculous. The GUI could be prettier though, and PSP can make pretty GUIs, just look at the PSP 2445.
It's my favorite software compressor on vocals, and I've got lots of compressors. Including many FET/1176 compressors. Just seems to work every time and add something tonally that I really like. Fantastic compressor.

add something tonally that I really like.
It does have that expensive/professional/glossy top end, doesn't it? :)
It also got this tight grip on transients, but fast yet smooth enough release to not make vocals sound choppy and overly aggressive.

I really like it, I haven't been so impressed in a while. This will certainly be my go-to comp for 1176 duties.

Now I just need to find some La2a plugin that's on the same level quality wise :)

zenvoxpop wrote:Now I just need to find some La2a plugin that's on the same level quality wise :)
Same. I'm yet to find one I really like. The Black Rooster one didn't impress me TBH, the IK version compresses well, but is quite bland. The new (now kinda old actually) UAD Collection is the best of the bunch, but can still be improved upon. I don't really rate the Cakewalk version...

Maybe PSP can/will pull it off, maybe Slate, maybe Klanghelm. Someone will eventually put out an impressive LA-2A.

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote:
zenvoxpop wrote:Now I just need to find some La2a plugin that's on the same level quality wise :)
Same. I'm yet to find one I really like. The Black Rooster one didn't impress me TBH, the IK version compresses well, but is quite bland. The new (now kinda old actually) UAD Collection is the best of the bunch, but can still be improved upon. I don't really rate the Cakewalk version...

Maybe PSP can/will pull it off, maybe Slate, maybe Klanghelm. Someone will eventually put out an impressive LA-2A.
Have you tried Acustica Nebula, with something like this LA2A Nebula Program?

I use Nebula 4. I don't have this program, nor so I have experience with the hardware so I can't comment about it.

I was surprised to see TimP or AlexB do not make an LA2A program, this being one of the most popular hardware compressors. CDSoundMaster were the only ones I could find with one. STN makes one but just for the gain stage (he likes his saturation programs).

The program explorer doesn't list anything for the LA2A.

Try this one ... LA-3A with extra LA-2A style attack presets.

https://www.timpetherick.co.uk/downloads/opto-3a/

zabukowski wrote:Try this one ... LA-3A with extra LA-2A style attack presets.

Do these run outside of Nebula, like Acustica Audio?

zabukowski wrote:Try this one ... LA-3A with extra LA-2A style attack presets.

Thanks for suggestions, maybe I'll try it... someday :roll:
I try to steer away from Nebula, dongles, subscription plans, ILok, UAD hardware, and unnecessary complex stuff like that.
I like things simple, remember when you just download .dll file and enter username and code? :pray:
Things used to be simpler, I miss that.

But I'm lying actually, I DID tried nebula. I tried VTTM CDsoundmasters tape emu, Charly summer mixer,
that AquaVox preamp and some other stuff... All sounded pretty good, but I felt that sound quality wasn't so "next level shitz" (if I may quote myself :lol: ) that would be worth all the hassle, glitches and laggy Gui behavior.

I know Nebula is evolving and getting better all the time, but wasn't Nebula supposed to be kinda inherently to slow for dynamic processing?

It's just been updated.

PSP FETpressor v.1.1.0
In this update we improved memory management, fixed some bugs and changed the authorization system to use the PACE system.

BUG FIXES:
1. Minor bug fixed.

CHANGES:
1. New AAX engine for macOS and Windows
2. Improved AAX stability
3. Added support for Gain Reduction meter in Protools
4. New VST3 format
5. Improved needle animation for all formats (VST, VST3, AAX, RTAS, AU)
6. Improved version of PSP PRESET BAR
7. Added hints for each control
8. Added edit-boxes for each control (desired parameter settings now can be typed with keyboard)
9. Blend knob is greyed out, when BLEND is disabled
10. Hpf knob is greyed out, when SC HPF is disabled
11. Added units for parameters' display
12. Added new iLok licensing system (allowing our users to store 3 licenses on hard-drive/iLok dongle)

Did I mention I'm selling mine?
Is materialism devouring your musical output? :ud:

Usual CPU consumption used to be in the 8% range, it went down to 2%. Bravo, PSP!
@The Noodlist, what have you found that beats this 76? This, the arturia one and DMG Trackcomp are the only ones I use.
“In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.”

escalona wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:11 pm Usual CPU consumption used to be in the 8% range, it went down to 2%. Bravo, PSP!
@The Noodlist, what have you found that beats this 76? This, the arturia one and DMG Trackcomp are the only ones I use.
Well, to be honest, I'm trying to limit my choices due to lack of productivity. I would reach for LSR Audio's Comprime first or MJUC, followed by other stuff.
Last edited by The Noodlist on Sat Aug 31, 2019 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

It's a "gentle" fet compressor if you look at the knee. It has no aliasing, but does add a little hint of noise on some harmonics. Very clean overall. Very flexible and adaptible compressor overall - but doesnt have the grab that others have because of that knee... If they had a knob or even switch for that to sharpen it up and make it meaner, it'd be a dream for the price.

Still a good compressor. I've just been using it a lot less since I got Novatron (since it also doesn't have a sharp knee and it's an even better compressor and even more flexible - but it cost more, too).

At some point I'll need a better analog emulation, like the Black Rooster or something. Or maybe I'll wait to see what Cytomic does on the SSL side.

Currently on sale at JRRshop - $26.99/£21.98 when in the cart.
Not worth selling mine, might as well transfer it to Ilok and update it.
+1 for knee and harmonic/noise adjustment.

vitocorleone123 wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 5:18 am It's a "gentle" fet compressor if you look at the knee. It has no aliasing, but does add a little hint of noise on some harmonics. Very clean overall.
What sample rate are you running at? This is one of PSP's zero-latency processors (i.e. no oversampling) and there's some low-level aliasing at 44.1khz (talking about -90db - not terrible but there). However, if I run this in Metaplugin with 4x oversampling, it's clean as a whistle but shy of that, there are definitely some folder frequencies.

Here's a quick comparison:
FETPressor no OS.png
FETPressor OS Enabled.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Effects”